Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ford Thunderbolts Photos Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Troublemaker427, Oct 11, 2006.

1. more t-bolt pics......love the tail and single exhaust!:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  2. '64 Russ Davis Ford Bolt vs. '64 Plymouth............:)

Attached Files:

3. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

My info says that the Musgrove Ford Tbolt was the Chilton & Dooley car they purchased from Les Ritchey's organization. They ran out of BC, Canada. Did it then become the McClellan car?

Len

4. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

let's try attaching the photo again. Seems it was noted as 'invalid' file format the first time.

Len

Attached Files:

5. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

That "might" be this car.

[​IMG]

6. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

I suppose it's possible dave but doesn't your photo have an aluminum bumper vs. a fiberglass one on the musgrove tbolt?

7. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Wow I guess it does. Your eyes are better than mine. That's a crappy old pic I found years ago but a black Thunderbolt back then is an odd pic.

8. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

Dave,

The Musgrove Ford Sponsored tbolt owned by Dooley & Chilton is in fact the old Les Ritchey tbolt. As far as I know this car still exists somewhere in Canada but don't know for certain. The poppy red tbolt in the left corner of the photo is the former Damerow Ford tbolt (Bill Ireland driven) that was sponsored by McLennan Motors in BC Canada and owned/driven by Gary Wanless at the time. The car was eventually scrapped after it's AWB days.

Len

Attached Files:

9. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

It's time for me to add another file to the photo collection on my computer. This one will be named, "Thunderbolts Butchered." I know that what happened to them may be a part of history but that does not mean that I have to like the butchery that they went through.

Rebodied or not, I am glad to see Thunderbolts returned to their original appearance and glory.

10. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Looks like they stretched the front fenders on that car?

11. apound

apound

I'm about to order tires for my Fairlane. My car had Casler slicks back in the day but not sure what size. Don't know if anyone makes repops of them. What size did the Thunderbolts use? Also what brand and size front tires? Just looking for suggestions on what would be period correct as far as tires. Thanks

12. 64 Thunderbolt

64 Thunderbolt

What Radiator did they use in these cars? Did they use the 289. Also what was the fan shroud off of?

13. PVTA Jay

PVTA Jay

Stopped in Performance Associates last week while visiting my parents. Gave Randy a couple of pics I took of Les while working front chutes at Pomona, then he showed me the animal they're working on. SOHC 427, all redeveloped and it's awesome.

14. spike427

spike427
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

Alan,all the stock Fairlanes had Firestone tires on them and your car wouldn't have been factory with slicks.The factory race cars had Firestone slicks on them when delivered but were put on by DST.

15. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Alan, Hurst Tires makes Casler re-bop slicks that would be pertfect on a D/S car. I think the guys name is Cody

16. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Forgot to add that I have seen the pictures of your car with Goodyear Slick in 1965

17. apound

apound

I figured the slicks were put on after the car was delivered to Les Ritchey. The pictures I have seen the car has Casler painted on the quarter panel. Can't tell what tires were actually on the car but it would stand to reason that is what they were. Since my car never went through DST it would have arrived at Performance Associates with the factory tires and they installed what they wanted.

18. apound

apound

I found that after I posted the other day. Wish you had a copy of that picture. By the way the car is finally in the paint booth as we speak.

19. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Didn't Mr. C.B. Felts build some roundy cars raced at Nashville Fairgrounds? I was told his car had a 390 put in it.
    Tom S.

20. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Do you have any progress pics of your car? I know that Iv'e seen pics here and there but would love to see more. Tom.

21. apound

apound

here is one as it was going into the paint booth. I'll post some when we have color on it.

Attached Files:

22. 8889coupe

8889coupe

if anyone were going to re create a burgundy thunderbolt which one would you do im asking because im getting ready to do build a real nice clone just curious on everyones opinions

23. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

My suggestion would be not to copy any original car. Doing so is about as classy as a fake Rolex.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  24. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Yep word is the engine out of the Hippodrome Thunderbolt also ended up being pulled out and used in another race car.

And yes that car received another FE motor...most likely a 390 with a lowriser 2x4 intake and driven on the street. No history of the car since and no pictures that have surfaced.

25. 65COMET

65COMET

Alan;great to see that progress is being made! Get that thing done,not many 65s still around! Then when it is done you can start on the Comets!!!! ROY.

26. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

The Clone Bolts.
    It all up to you, it's your Car! Me I would do one of the Thunderbolts that is not already out there being Original or Clone. Find out which ones are gone?

Dennis K. should know. If the Auto Dealer is still around, I wouldn't do that one without contacting them first.

Put Thunderbolt on the on rear quarter, put the Ford bird emblem on the door, put 427ci 425hp on the front fender and your name on the door below the window.

Good Luck and have Fun. ~~~~~~~~AFX.DAVE~~~~~~~~

27. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

No pictures of that car on here? I recall a lime green Fairlane not The J & W car, but can't recall anything else. There used to be so many, A thunderbolt was viewed like any other Fairlane.
    Mr. Felts did business with John Gardner Sr. who I worked for, but simply can't recall if I ever saw that car or not at his shop. Tom S.

28. 8889coupe

8889coupe

Is there anyway to find out which thunderbolts were burgundy and which ones are still out there and which ones got destroyed I don't want to step on anyones feet!! I want to honor one of the original cars but not copy someone elses idea

29. apound

apound

That is the plan. May have to sell the Fairlane to finance the Comets. Unless I can come up with the right 6 lotto number$$$$$$

30. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

I might even think about doing a cloverleaf hood on a burgundy Thunderbolt just to be different. Probably not, because I love the look of the teardrop too much. They just look right to me on about any Ford from that era.

KRH