Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949 ford shoebox-- RECHOP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by los punk rods dave, Nov 13, 2011.

1. zombie

zombie

hey i have an idea, how about you give the top you cut off to one these guys that are complaining about how you fucked it up?

z

2. I think that idea is pure genius.

3. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

i dont think he fucked it up at all, i just think he took the originality out of the car.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

originality and driveablity can be two different things. if you want a trailer queen to take to shows or want something you can drive the hell out of ya need to be able to see out.
    with a super chop ya need super low seats too. on a big car like shoebox it makes it very hard to see. on a model A or something ya don't have a long hood and fenders in the way. of course bottom line is build your ride your way.

5. PUNK RODDER

PUNK RODDER
    from KC, MO.

Everybody has an opinion. The chop was a drastic, wild design, but not practical for the intentions of being what the owner wanted. There is so much more out there to the story and it is what it is. There is no slander or is anyone bitching about the artists and creators. With this chop your knuckles would have hit the windshield without modifying the column, and with no seats in it sitting on the floor your head was 1" from the roof.
    Picasso's work while admired and respected, would not fit in just any decor. And I am sure all of Ron Jeremy's bitches were not satisfied.

Nuff said.

6. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

I like it much better after now than how it started.

7. jerseymike

jerseymike

i personally didn't like the original chop. having said that, i do appreciate the cars originality because of the style of chop and who did it. since bill hines isn't going to be around forever, and the car looks to still be in the project stage, i think the car should have been sold to someone who would have appreciated it for what it was and the current owner could have started over with another car.

8. thesupersized

thesupersized

im not sure if u would really have to mess with the un parallel pinch welds because rubber sits in between the metal and glass anyway...

however, if you did have to mess with it, i imagine you can simply slice it the pinch welds at the ends, and hammer it down on the cowl side, and and up on the top roof section, making them parallel with the a pillars..no?

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

have to agree with jerseymike - would have made a cool show car. less concerned about installing a windshield than the rear window. possibly the cut off roof is still in good enough condition for someone else to use on a wild ride.

10. natasscapos

natasscapos

i could not drive the car. with me sitting flat on the floor my head was 1 inch from the roof ,no seat. there is allready 4 years in the car its not a fresh project, the frame was pulled from the body 4 linked and subframed. full air ride that lays flat. built 302 with a c4 and tubed for the trany and the drive shaft tunnel was raised. way to much time.not to mention how clean and rust free this car is. absoluty none! it has nothing to do with not having respect for who did it. it all comes down to the reason we all build are cars to CRUISE THEM! im sorry but if i was t boned by any of the guys that worked on my car i would still fix it. its not like we got the car back and cut the roof right off. we staired at the car since july and didnt cut it off until last friday. that was when the desicion was made it couldnt work. and we thought of every posible way to make it look right. if the a pillars stayed the same it would have been low at the top and botm but high in the center so my glass would of looked frenched.

if i would have sold it i would of had to get at least 15k out of it to cut my losses, so unless you were gona give me that i dont think anyone should even talk about how i should of sold it. thanks to those who understand.

11. post of the year!!!!!
    :d

12. jerseymike

jerseymike

no one's knocking you, i said i didn't like it myself. switching bodies was a way to save it and still get you what you want. hope it all works out for you.

13. 55delray

55delray
    from Florida

It looks good Dave. I'm building a 49 tudor, and really like the description of your chassis setup. Like the moderate chop. Keep it up. As for the investment, I agree with you. Its only a loss if you take it now.

14. studhud

studhud

Well it was definatley "chopped" in kansas-now I dunno its so mild of a chop I am not sure its enough. I know more is not always better but... That is soo mild I dont think it "restyles" the car at all. I was there when the owner was saying "I want it mild" That is not Bills Style obviously:rolleyes: Theres a lesson to be learned there.
    Im short I woulda driven the shit outa that car.

Dave Hitch
    FBBF

15. choptvan

choptvan

I have done a few this way. I have unchopped 2 cars this way now. One no longer has a chop and the other has a HELL of a chop. It is a race car so function before form. I have to say it does look good now. It looked OK before, but with who did it, I am unsure of what I would have done myself. Not going to knock it either way.

16. 00 MACK

00 MACK

I will say, I did love the back half of that roof since the first second I saw it! Good luck with your build!

17. natasscapos

natasscapos

thanks oo mack i loved the shit out of the back of it. looked like a cockroach to me, or a spaceship. but it had its issues. either way it will get finished being the sled ive always wanted, and have tons of great memory's that a build should have. even though it didnt keep the wild chop i know how it would of looked with one. Just helping the guys out by handing them tools, holding metal,tacking shit and cuting fillers it was a weekend i will never forget and most will never know. that's what it ment to me

18. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Good you are fixing it and looks great......some don't understand the concept of body thickness to chop ratio.

19. chaddilac

chaddilac

Dave is that a moonroof outline you're planning on adding? :D

20. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

The "golden ratio" is very important , IMHO

21. weez

weez

I was pretty excited when I saw the first chop, looked like a lakes racer! I was, however wondering about glass fit issues, (not really ergonomics or practicality, since I assumed the customer got what he asked for, which I guess wasn't the case) Maybe someone will try that style of top on more of a race type car, or a hot-roddy type thing like Rikster posted-

I can see how you would want a more realistic roof on car that you had so much work into.

22. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Man you are a workin maniac,looks good!

23. It looks better....

24. elturo

elturo
    from So. Okla

Funny how guys from different parts of the county have such different opinions, and taste of styles.

What really counts is - in the end the customer is satisfied and happy.

25. some progress shots , a pillars done , b pillars done both door tops done , had to fix drivers side door to get the body lines and door gaps right before i did the door top , got rear window welded in and c pillars welded still have to rework lower part of rear window and do the catwalk and quite a bit of grinding and hammer work, but seeing the light at the end of the tunnel damn holidays and holiday parties slowing me down lately

26. side view of passenger side welded door top gapped and welded

Attached Files:

27. pic 1 and 2 rear clamped and fitted to keep the rear of the roof crown flowing into the rear window
    pic 3 side view welded

pic 4 side shot c pillar welded , ground , and hammer work done

pic 5 top of rear roof welded , ground, and hammer work done

should just need a light skim of filler to finish

Attached Files:

28. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

WOW!!! It looks 1000x better!! Not over chopped. Looks like it could of came out the factory that way.

29. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

30. recks

recks
    from oceanside

I like it a lot better now also. Great work man.