Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hey Galaxie Guys Need Opinions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintageauto, Nov 17, 2011.

1. I may be doing some trading on this 1962 Galaxie and wanted to get some of your thoughts. The paint is original (and the weakest part), but I like the Color and Paint Patina, Original Interior...the rest has been gone over. Take a look..Just needs some 5-Spoke Americans.

Details:

1962 Ford Galaxie 500, 2 door hardtop, chestnut w/chestnut plush interior, 390 big block ford with 428 heads, factory tri power and factory cast headers. Tranny is a Tremec T5 w/high performance clutch. Rear is a 9" unit that has Richmond 3:90 gears. Interior has new carpet, original perfect seats and head liner, original dash with working clock. Car is equipped with power steering and manual brakes. Has new tires and new old style steel rims w/dog dish hubcaps Bumpers are new. Stock trunk with correct spare and liner. Correct Ford stuff under the hood with a detailed engine compartment, 4 core alum rad. heater. every part on suspension new, under the car is perfect. This is a southern rust free car.with 65k miles on it. This car drives and rides like a Cadillac but with Corvette power. Car sat in dry storage for many years then wound up in a estate sale. Everything on this car has been gone thou except the paint.paint is all original just like the interior just not in as good condition, i.e., a 7 out of 10 rating. Not embarrassing just older. You can either paint it or drive it like it is.

Murph

Attached Files:

2. Ford Guy

Ford Guy

What are you waiting on? If the price is right.....BUY IT!!!!!!

3. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

Americans? Or just take the hub caps off! :D
    I like it!

4. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

The poverty caps don't really work with the Galaxie 500 trim. 5 spokes might work but the Galaxie full hub caps like it came with are nice looking too. When you get it home clean up and paint the bottom of the rockers.
    Then ride in style.

5. If I had the money, I would snatch it up in a heartbeat. That thing is beautiful!

6. JEM

JEM

Very nice.

You're gonna want to take care of that transmission, if that 390 is even halfway healthy even a Z-spec (2.95 first) T5 won't last if you pound on it.

The factory linkage-boosted power steering sucks (though it doesn't suck as bad as it did in the smaller cars) and the manual four-wheel single-circuit drums are only just good enough. How much all that matters depends on what you intend to do with it.

7. Great looking Galaxie...

The under hood treatment is nice, and the color combo is really cool & unusual. The purists might balk at the noticable hole in the tunnel for the tremec, but with a set of 5-spokes or reversed chrome wheels, that would really be a looker.

All depends on the trade, but it looks like a car that would be easy to flip if you're into it right. It won't bring Starliner money, or that of a 63 1/2 Galaxie IMO, but a great car nonetheless.

8. That is a good point on the Transmission...Thanks

Can't think of what the caps look like? you are right about the rockers...easy fix though. I bet that engine sounds great. I haven't actually seen the car in person yet. I put a few more pics up. Maybe paint the wheels the body color?

Thanks for the comments.

Attached Files:

9. It's hideous. (What's the seller's phone number?)

10. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

i'm with cool57, ugliest car ever- i hate galaxies. please give me the sellers address/name/phone number so i can let them know what i think of their terrible car.

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My buddy really wanted a Chestnut 62 but found this near perfect 62 instead. Automatic W/ cold factory air. He has 5 spokes on most of his cars. This one is currently for sale.

12. Buy it before someone else does!

Paint the wheels body color (maybe black?) and see how you like it. I like the poverty caps on those cars. It would be cool with an original T10 or later top loader, but you can always do that later and use the existing T5 as bartering power.

Bob

13. Johnunit

Johnunit
    from Toronto

Beautiful car.

I gotta agree about the T5. Maybe use it as bartering power but a production-spec T5 is barely enough for a healthy small block in a foxbody mustang, let alone a 390inch mill in a heavy car.

14. Great looking car. Love the '62s. I agree with some of the concerns over the T-5. However, as long as you don't put sticky tires on the rear and you remember not to "full-throttle" shift it, the T-5 should be fine. They are still plentiful, so you can always keep a spare around. A friend has one in a '57 Ford and, believe me, this guy beats the living snot out of the car! ( no sticky tires or power-shifts)So far it's been in place for well over 15 years.

15. outlaw256

outlaw256

i love it.growing fond of them 62s. i drive a 62 2dr hardtop witha 352 auto for my daily. i could only wish it looked that it looked that good.grab that girl now!!the only reason my doesnt look that good is id have to park it to work on it and i like driving it too much!

16. R Pope

R Pope

The 5 speed might not last if you power shift it a lot, too much torque and weight. But then some guys can tear up toploaders in a few minutes, too! Depends on what you want to do with it. Great cruiser, and balls enough for the odd intersection Indy, what more do you need?
    Great car, I'd grab it in a second!

17. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

The original upholstery is pimp.
    Get it. It only needs thin whites and an healthy slam. You'll be the king wherever you go.

18. I'm not one to beat the shit out of my cars, especially one as cherry as that '62, so the T5 will hold up to every-day driving.

99% of us are drooling over such a clean ride, keep us posted on your hopefully pending aquisition of it.

Bob

19. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You haven't bought it yet?!!?

Yes, you could blow the T5 in a heartbeat, but with a little care it should last.

And dog dishes work, just paint the wheels (white just doesn't work here at all) and get a better cap (sorry, its got one of Fords worst). Any below would work much better:

Attached Files:

20. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Absolute Class. That car has it all, and best is that you can drive it without worrying about it.
    As said above, if price is decent...go for it..
    Good luck,
    Cheers.........

21. I'd jump on it, and I'm not a huge fan of the 62s.
    Looks killer with 5-spokes...

22. robertsregal

robertsregal

Is that sitting in your driveway yet!! BUY IT!!!

23. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Gotta say, I've seen the 5.0 crowd beat the balls off Tremac's and they did not break...just sayin

24. JEM

JEM

The transmissions usually referred to as 'Tremecs' are the 3550/3650/TKO family, which are much, much stronger than a T5.

My general rule of thumb is that a good T5 will last a long time behind a normally-aspirated 302, but somewhere in the 350HP territory even the 2.95 first gear Z-spec boxes with an aftermarket bearing support start to get marginal especially in strip use.

25. froghawk

froghawk

Wow, what a great car! I have fond memories of my old Rangoon Red '62 two-door hardtop with all black vinyl interior and black accent stripe and 390.

This one definitely needs some new hub caps at the very least. Those ones were kinda goofy when they came out on the '64 models and don't look much better now.

If I remember correctly most hi-po 390 '61 and 406 '62 Galaxies came with 15" wheels rather than the standards 14' and when equipped with full wheel covers, were the same as '56 Ford caps and I think the poverty caps they had were of the same '56 vintage (the ones with the small red ring in NMCarNut's post, I think.)

If it was mine I'd probably go with narrow whitewalls, chrome reverse and spider caps, though my old red '62 had aftermarket '57 Dodge Lancer-style wheelcovers on red painted wheels and looked pretty sharp.

I guess it depend on whether you like an early muscle car or a mild custom look.

26. JEM

JEM

Yes, 'real' 390HP/406/427 '61-64s had 15in Kelsey-Hayes wheels which are damn hard to find now.

I'm rather fond of the Grand National look on those cars, just a bit of nose-down rake, big steel wheels, etc. And if it were a driver I'd put some later Galaxie 12in front discs and an integral-assist steering box (Borgeson kit or ZF box out of a Catera) on it. But that's just me.

27. Thanks all for the comments. I just talked to the owner and we are going to get together the first of the week.

He explained that the paint is presentable, but weak in spots. I like it the way it is....Original.....the rest of the car makes up for all that and more. I'll keep you all updated. Thanks again.

Murph

28. CDXXVII

CDXXVII
    from Vermont

It could be an optical illusion but is that air cleaner leaning back?
    Could that be a Thunderbird 6bbl intake manifold on there?

29. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I believe the official color is "Chestnut"

As in the christmas tune......"The Chestnut Galaxie is roasting it's tires"

30. richie rebel

richie rebel

back in the day everyone ran steel wheels,same color as the car with wide whites