Register now to get rid of these ads!

Denman tires out of buisness ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carcrazyjohn, Aug 10, 2010.

1. rgaller

rgaller

As if "Made in the USA" automatically makes it better than products made elsewhere:confused:

2. ablebob

ablebob

I hope they hire the americans too.

3. The problem on the military stuff is what happens if parts are supplied or made in a country that you suddenly find yourself at war with? We'd really be up shit creek if someone wanted to start an honest-to-God war on American soil.

But at least some Michelin stuff is made here, worst case the military just takes over the plant for the duration and they still get some kind of tires to run on.

4. JEM

JEM

I hate to lose any competent manufacturing capability in this country, especially one willing to deal with niche markets like...us.

As far as Michelin goes, though, they bought BFGoodrich's tire operations close to two decades ago now, and I think the vast majority of the tires they sell in the US are made here (though the top-line road tires are French and German-sourced.) Michelin companies make tires for just about everything, and they've usually been somewhere around the leading edge of tire technology (including some dead-ends, like their positively French crusade to convert us all to metric rim diameters...) pretty much forever. And, unlike BFGs in the pre-Michelin days, they're almost always round.

If you want to see something, go to Tire Rack's website and pick a mfr, pick a tire line, and look at the manufacturing locations listed.

Cute to see some Goodyears coming from China and Thailand, some Bridgestones from Mexico, different sizes of the same Continental line from the US and the Czech Republic, etc.

5. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Well all political stuff aside... Im gonna miss those nice real Wide whitewall bias plys Denman made, Not the little 2.5 & 3 inch everyone else seems to offer. Its a sad day in Tiretown..

6. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

dang, thats all ive ever put on my mercs...hmmm collector items:rolleyes:

7. Yes, and I'll be building BFG's tomorrow night while Michelins will be built on the machine next to me. We make the tire, from the compound to the finished product.

8. Chuck Most

Chuck Most
    from Saskatoon

Nope. I'd never buy a product called "Yo Mama" even if it was US-made!:D

9. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

10. havi

havi

I've had my ground hawg II's (36x14.5x15R) since 1991 on my '78 F150. They just started to crack this year....perhaps because it's been so dang hot this Summer.

Anywho, for those that say buy American, remember one thing. Not only do you buy American, you put Americans to work, and pay them salaries so that they can go spend American, which in turn provides another American some salary, and the cycle continues. Take away the Buy American, it does more than just one thing. I'll get off my soapbox now. Bummer to hear it, though.

11. Exactly what I was saying - look at the plants EVERYWHERE that produce multiple brands of tires in the same plant. Ardmore, OK was producing Michelin, BFG, and a couple of other brands in the single plant.

The tire discussion is really a red herring, IMO.

12. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Since this is still up,Start manufacturing nicer tires for 17 inch rims ,Us 34 guys dont have a big selection.......

13. VONRUBEN65

VONRUBEN65
    from LOMITA

14. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Any insider updates on whether Titan intends to reintroduce the Denman product line or any part of it? I see nothing on Titan’s website(s).

-Dave

15. I had a pair of new Denman branded tires put on my enclosed trailer this past summer. They both blew the treads off in less than 400 miles. Found out they were made in effin INDIA...

16. I got new bias mud and snows for my Willys last december. Bought them at a farm coop in nebraska. The fella there told me that almost all bias ply tires are made in india any more. I assume that the exception would be companies like Coker, I don't think that they are off shore yet.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  17. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

That's shouldn't surprise you. They still make '50s Jeeps and motorcycles there. Cokers, I think, are made largely in Mexico and Vietnam (correct me if I'm wrong). But since Coker was the stalking horse bid in the bankruptcy sale, I think Denman collector-car tires must have been made in Ohio.

The winning bidder, Titan, is largely domestic as well.

-Dave

18. So aside from what is made in Mexico when you buy Coker you are not buying American? I was of the impression that Coker was American made as in the USA. Learn something new every day.

When I was still in Mexico there was a big tire plant that made Uniroyal and Dayton tires up near Puebla. Both were real popular tires down there.

19. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

I have had denmans on my shoebox for years, they have served me well. They have a large whitewall width which I like. I got mine from Lucas classic tire in long beach, they may still have more left

20. gas pumper

gas pumper

I read about "Specialty Tire" , they are located in PA and they are the manufacturer of most of the bias ply tires made in the US today. The article about them indicated that they produced tires for Coker.

21. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Well, here is Specialty Tire’s website, and here is what seems to be the closest thing to a HAMB-friendly bias ply they sell (although no mention of where). But if they are Coker’s supplier, they wouldn’t be able to sell the repop tires on their own anyway.

Edit: I was wrong. Their Jeep Tires come in some HAMB-friendly sizes and designs. Although Light Truck tires on something like a roadster might not ride very well.

-Dave

22. 33mopower

33mopower

The 7.50 17 Denman WW are by far the best tires I have ever used. The Denman's were produced with the same molds they used in the 30's and were one of the few tires that actually fit in the metal tire covers. There are a few vendors that still have them in stock. Now if the would just produce the Excelsior radial's in a WW.

23. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I have a pair of their ribbed wide white whitewalls, this sucks, I have always liked their big white walls, I wonder if this will affect lucas tires in long beach, also they were always more reasonable than firestone, most tires are made in New Zealand, and the new zealand dollar has almost doubled in value, thats why tires have gone up alot lately.