Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anti-bag 49-52 Chevy thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by matthew mcglothin, Nov 15, 2011.

1. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Here's mine, stock suspension. Took her on the Aces Poker Run through the canyons, rode like a dream. Dips and potholes on the freeway, no problem.
    IMG_1601.jpg

lowroder likes this.
  2. Mines only half of what your looking for. The front is the stock suspension with the dropped uprights and cut coils. It's got air bags in the bag so don't look.

[​IMG]

lowroder likes this.
  3. fbama73

fbama73

Subscribed. Looking forward to stealing some ideas from those of you walking this road before me.

4. 56 Frame Dragger

56 Frame Dragger

This is my little Brothers 38 no air on his ride just old fashion lower it to the weeds, and as you can see on our road trip it drives that LOW 24/7

Attached Files:

Kreepea_1 likes this.
  5. Lucky444

Lucky444

I just want to lower the back end of mine a bit more. You've got 2 inch de-arched springs, minus two leaf springs AND with 4 inch blocks!???!!?! I've still got a long way to go. Thanks for the info. Matthew.

Mahalo,

Jason

6. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Yea I used your tech article to step my lower a arms. Thanks a lot . Good tech!

7. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

That 38 is freakin sweet. Awesome stance,,, this is what I'm talking about ,no bags... just plain low!

8. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Gotta respect people driving this low w/out adjustable suspension, being air or oil, and i mean it.

But also gotta be realistic, and be prepared to break stuff.
    B4 i went "adjustable" i bent the K part of the front crossmember because i hit it so many times, almost grinded off the rear lower arms pivotpoints (4 link), infact i have a new pair of arms now, and fucked the propshaft mid bearing, plus other stuff that i dont remember right now.
    Its fun and all, but driving 1 or 2 inches off the ground is gonna cause damage, no matter what.

Oh yeah. Your chevy looks bitchin.

9. deeddude

deeddude

Beautiful car Matthew. I don’t know why you excluded the 53’s and 54’s; I’m guessing the fronts are a little different. I lowered my 54 by stepping the a-arms and cutting 2 coils off in front and 3” blocks and removed a few leaves in the back. This car sits and rides low. I bottomed out and hit the exhaust on one of my “test” drives. I don’t have any pictures of the drop, just completed the rear this past weekend. I may need to add a leaf or buy new ones because the weight of the car de-arched those old springs. When I did all this I modified the front a-arms to accept shocks from a 78-87 Monte Carlo and in the rear made new mounts on top for shocks from the same car. After I re-aligned the front and took her for a spin she rode very well, our taste in ride quality may be different. I would warn against the 4” blocks, with the 3” blocks the bottom of the mounts are lower than the rim; just something to consider.

10. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Thanks . Yea I didnt mean to forget about the 53-54 guys. Basically the same susp. It crossed my mind after I started the topic.

11. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

im actually looking for a set of stock front coils for my 54. the ones that were in it were torched so bad they sat on the bumpstops with out an engine in it.

12. DMacias

DMacias
    from So Cal

Great Thread!

13. Squids50

Squids50
    from cal

Quote:Haven't driven this one yet Since I relowered it but have lowered a previous car this way... Rode very well IMO. A little stiff but not spongy like a wore out susp.I try to fine tune everything on mine ,every little change makes a big difference. Are the noises coming from front or rear on your car? If its the front it could be missing a rubber bump stop. If its heavily lowered in the rear It could need a c notch <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Matt, I looked the rubber stops they are still there. Also there is still travel from the rear end to the frame. haha I did find out it was missing some bumper bolts so that could of been the noise all along. I have had lots of lowered cars some ride worse than others. This one rides ok its not a hard or bouncy ride. Just sometimes it makes a hard sound. Can I cut the rubber stops down some? This style of car is all new to me. I did have a 54 years ago that I put hydros on. I will never do that again when it was on the ground and you hit a bump you would hit the roof sometimes. Things I did when I was younger and had full acess to a bodyshop.

14. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

My 52 Chevy, all stock suspension. Stepped control arms, 54 uprights, and cut 1 coil. I can still go lower up front without sacrificing to much but I like the ass low stance. 3 Inch blocks with a couple leafs removed out back. Im fixing to put the spring pack back back together and dearch the main leaf instead and try that. This is as about as low as you can go without a notch and maybe some tunnel work also.

forgot to mention Im runnin tall bias ply tires, great thread.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  15. slick39

slick39
    from dallas ,ga

kool thread cant wait to see more

16. Greezeball

Greezeball

Mine. MII front with stock rear with lowering blocks ImageUploadedByTJJ1321583034.567387.jpg

17. customcory

customcory

This is the 51 I got now, but this is how it was in about 1978. 1 1/2 coils and 3 in. lowering blocks , but 185-15 in. tires.

294387_278233038869027_100000469994490_1198370_2407886_n.jpg

18. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Very nice car man. Looks familiar too. Think It was at the hotel I stayed at for roundup 2 years ago.

19. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Diffently need some more pics guys! Let's keep this one going. Hopefully my notch will be done this weekend and I'll have some pics out of my shop in the daylight.

20. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

I will ty to get a pic up later...
    50 convert, 4 inch blocks in the rear... don't know yet if i will need to notch or cut the floor. I'll have to see what it is like when the car is all assembled..
    will be using a 2 piece driveshaft, so I might not have to re-do the rear tunnel.

front- used droplords a-arm step, some 54 uprights and stock 54 powerglide springs (don't know if there is a difference , that was just what the car that I sourced had.)

I had initially cut 2 coils off the stock 50 springs, like droplord did, however my engine is a 394 olds, and with 2 cut coils it put the x-member right on the ground! lol

21. I did mine much like the rest of you... 1 1/2 coils out of the front and a '68 Camaro on 3" blocks out back. Have the bump stops sliced in half, but our crappy roads do cause a thump once in a while! Should I mention the two sand bags in the trunk (de-arched springs would be another option!)? :eek:

I think the lakers add to the lowness and I plan to extend the skirts down to the bottom of the fenders which should help visually lower it as well...

[​IMG]

-Dave

22. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

rodncustomdreams, i love the stance on your car!! lowered without looking broken

23. 'Preciate that! :eek:

-Dave

24. Squids50

Squids50
    from cal

This how she sits. I asked the prior owner. He said that it has 3in blocks in the rear and the front springs were cut.

Attached Files:

25. Lucky444

Lucky444

That is a great stance on your 52. I've got 3 inch blocks out back already, but just need a little more. Could you tell us which two springs you took out of the leaf pack (short ones, long ones)? And, does the car bottom out when you have passengers in the back seat?

26. koolkemp

koolkemp

Do any of you guys know if a 55-57 Chevy front spring will work in these? I got a brand new pair kicking around here, and nomore 55 chevy to put them in!

27. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

X2.... Looks damn good!

28. robleticia

robleticia

here's mine. 3" coils and 2 1/2" dropped uprights in front, 4"springs and a 3" block in the rear. It may be lower before it's over with!:D

Attached Files:

29. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Another great stance. No progress lately rob? Gonna make it to roundup?

30. .....And Custom Cory's 1978 Perfection looks like "what" now........? Funny how some of us begin with someone else's finished product.....:) I loved it as like it was........