Register now to get rid of these ads!

An Indy Roadster style outside frame oil tank?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gnichols, Nov 15, 2011.

1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Gang,

I have this crazy idea to add a non-functional Roadster style oil tank to a future project. It would be used to hold extra gear, tools or even function as an ice chest, so... I'm taking suggestions for something that looks similar, like perhaps a motorcycle saddle bag that might work. I've done a few web searches for Harley style bags, but can't seem to find anything I like.

It would have to have a hinged and lockable cover. Any ideas on what might work, or on something that might be modified to work? The other side of the frame would either have a spare tire mount, or possibly a Gerry can bracket, like on a Jeep. Thanx, Gary.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  2. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Made a functional oil tank on the TD Special.

Attached Files:

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

An intrigueing idea. I think I'd mount one on each side for balance. Roadsters don't need spare tires.
    What do those things cost new I wonder.
    Keep your eyes open for other things that can be modified and used for this purpose.
    I guess you'll have to cut one up, hinge it, weatherstrip it, latch it and mount it.

4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I remember that on your build. My concept is to build horizontal mounting tubes into the frame rails, so this fake tank (and other useful stuff like the spare / Gerry can rig on the other side) could be bolted on for use during long trips. Remember that guy who took his Speedster to Alaska?

Anyway, this tank, etc. would have matching mounting bars / tubes that would slide thru the tubes in the rails and secured by bolts on the inside of the frame. Hey, I do a lot of sketching, mental or othewise. Sometimes something fun and useful boils to the top of the rock pile. Time will tell, Gary

5. Get the oil bag from an old 45" Harley. It would be half of the gas tank. Perhaps the oil bag from an 80"er (ULH) would be a little bigger, anyway it should be about that size and shape, you can sawzall the top and hinge it.

6. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Aircraft Spruce has some fiberglass wheel pants that one could cut in half and hinge.

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

8. GC
    I am thinking that most bags are going to be a little deep for what you want to do. You should be able to get dimensions from about any vendor or manufacturer.

9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I've searched for some of the oil bags as you mentioned, but in the process kept finding the shapes of the left half of a split gas tank pretty cool. The only problem then is fabbing a water proof hatch. So... I'm still leaning towards a hard saddle bag of some sort. Time will tell, thanx, Gary

10. s1buell

s1buell
    from Indiana

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

That has a nice shape, but it also has some lights that would need to be removed. Like the chrome on the side, however. Here is a photo of one of the best shapes I've found. It isn't too expensive, compared to some of the new Harley bag sets, and has a flat inside surface. I could always mount a fake oil filler cap on it! I'm hoping to find something similar for a little less, or just one used bag on ebayou. But if some one can find a better one please send it along. I'm all ears. Gary

[​IMG]

12. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

"Amazing capacity and choose of mounting"?!

13. Translation software is just not what it is cracked to be.

gnicols,
    The oil bag for flat head harleys was just half of the fat tanks. One side held gas and the other held oil. You could use a late model fat tank as well. What you would want to do it line it to make it water proof.

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

HAMBers aren't the only ones who can't spell. Gary

15. s1buell

s1buell
    from Indiana

16. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Indeed, I saw some of them on ebay this AM. The only drawback is fabbing the lid, lock, hinge, seals. Lotsa hours compared to a bike bag with a top opening lid, good seal and lock already done up. And there are quite a few single bags for sale used.

The biggest dilema? What if I actually found a REAL Indy oil tank and have to make the decision to destroy it's value by modifying it? I doubt I'd be able to do that, even if the mods came free. The last resort would be to have the entire tank custom made by a good restoration shop, but I've already got a second mortgage. Later, Gary

17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

18. swissmike

swissmike

I don't think I would even mount an aftermarket motorcycle bag on a streetrod. It will just look like ass. Are you doing this for looks or because you need extra space?
    Maybe somethig fabbed could look ok, but I personally just don't feel the love.
    You could mount some model A running board tanks, which lets you hold about 6 gallons of soda on each side.. hahah

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Agree, these gizmos wouldn't look right on just any car. It will have to have fairly flat sides and the right front suspension, so there would be room to hang them in the lower cowl area so as not to conflict with the doors or trailing arms. It would be for both looks and space. A quick release deal like my old Concours had would be cool, too, for just your shaving kit and a gun when traveling!

I'm not planning on putting them on my truck, just keeping options open for another build I've been brainstorming on. Some of these cars come to mind, everything from a speedster to roadster / sports rod kinda deal. Fenders or not. Single seater or with a riding mechanic. Even a coupe or something with a Carson top. The sky is still the limit. Gary

PS.. no disrespect intended to the owners of these cars, I just save a lot of pix for inspiration.

Attached Files: