Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Chevy 6 With a V/8 Head Punch!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Nov 15, 2011.

1. This would be a cool set-up for a Track T with a full hood and those injector stacks sticking out offset at a 45 degree angle from the center line of the hood.

2. onedge

onedge

cool info. thxs.

3. Normbc9

Normbc9

All of these have a rich history of gobbling V-8's on the 1,000 and 1,420 ft Quarter mile Drag tracks. One shifts at 9,200 RPM's.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

55willys likes this.
  4. God I'd love to put side-drafts on my 292!

5. 6inarow

6inarow

Candy-Man, OK now that makes sense. I thought I was losing it worse than i really am. Or something like that.... haha

6. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Hey no problem. We both suffer from the same disorder... Car Brain...

7. Which strips ran an extra 100 feet? :D

8. burnout2614

burnout2614

This is so beyond any race tricks done today! peace

9. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Thanks for the post.

10. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

Wes Rydell, has one of those heads he built on display on top of a toolbox in his Shop in Grand Forks. I have drooled over it every time i have been in there. Not just any heads eaither, originals 60's factory aluminum ones cut up and welded together, you should see the exhaust ports on em, theyve been milled within an inch of their life, they are huge.

11. brandon

brandon

I was going to ask....I posted a pic of a vette headed 6 motor that was in a mid 60's vette gasser....it was in a anglia before that....they even spliced the 7 fin valve covers.....post a pic of the car.

Side note, I have a old magazine with a article on welding up a 6 cylinder hemi head

12. i have a thing for sixes, and i love their cars first they were fast second they were Canadian or almost all, i've got The Complete Chevrolet Book -1972 cost $2.00 and they have 1 page on the Vega

13. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I knew a guy that ran an H/G Anglia 6 cyl. Chevy with welded V-8 head from Queens NY. This was around 1964. It was the hot set-up then. Guys name was Jerry Bernstein they called him Jerry Bagels. From what I remember they did this alot back then.

Pat

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  14. sololobo

sololobo

Jeff, thanx for an awesome post, this is some way cool info and pix. I dig inlines, every since I saw an altered run at Pomona in 1961 with a big Jimmy sporting 5 carbs and screaming like a banshee. I hadn't heard any thing that seminal since hearing Offy sprint cars scream on the dirt tracks. These are certain to have an exhaust note supreme. At this years H.A.M.B. drags a 38? Chevy coupe had a turbo charged inline knocking out something like 8 sec passes or better, it was beyond sensational. ~sololobo~

15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Your most welcome.
    I was really intrigued by this neat driveline.. and of course the stories that fell in inline with it.
    This sure would be killer in any street set up...a bucket,an A,and upwards.

16. Hell even the valve cover is cool, what these guys did to inovate the times is incredible.

17. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

At the NHRA points meet in Billings Mt a few years back there was a Cobalt with I believe an Australian 6 cylinder Holden engine that was a rocket, way faster then the old Ford & Chevy 6's. I sure like to know a little more about that setup if anyone has any info on the car. Theres also an Opal that runs pretty good with a 6 in Comp Eliminator also like the Cobalt

18. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Wow! Very, very cool!

19. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

20. psychopathic51

psychopathic51

A buddy of mini has a book that tells you how to build a hopped up straight 6 and how to cut the V8 heads and make the changes to them to make them work on the 6. It is even signed by the author of the book. I think he bought it at the Turkey Run years ago. If anybody wants the name of the book PM me and i will find out from him and post up the name of it for you.

21. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Post it up here, when you find out the name of it, please.

22. jalopy45

jalopy45

23. psychopathic51

psychopathic51

That might be it, I just asked him and am waiting on a reply.

24. Here's afew up date shots of Pauls ride after Dano finished up the lettering the other day. I know I was down seeing Paul this week and he was pumped.......nice to see Paul smilin considering all the stuff he's been going thru over the past few years.

Attached Files:

25. 52Poncho

52Poncho

[​IMG]
    <center>innovative straight 6 gasser from Grand Forks</center> <center>car evolved into the Hope-Lang-Rydell Modified Eliminator winner @ 1970 NHRA Springnationals in Dallas</center> <center>tagged "Mr.Crude", the handle belied it's engineering</center> <center>Canadian, Ralph Hope, drove
    Photo and write up coutesy of:
    Bison Dragways
    http://www.mts.net/~red67/reunion3.html

Before the Vega was this (above).
    </center>

26. Here's a picture from this past Aug at the E.L.T.A. BBQ.....(L to R)... me, Paul Dunbar (builder), Wayne Lang and his lovely wife and Rick Proctor (ONDR founder).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  27. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

28. Normbc9

Normbc9

ll of these are highly modified Chevy 292's and all are currently running. They all have one thing in common. Frequently they reach the finish line before the other car. All shift at above 9,000 RPM's too.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

29. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Early 80's in East Texas, there used to be a Ford six in an altered with an owner built, dual overhead cam, crossflow head. The altered was called Six Shooter and the guys name was Gerit (?). Ran alcohol, had weedburner headers, and whenever it left the line, spectators would get the alcohol fumes blown right at them. I used to have pics of the car, but gave them to a fellow HAMBER doing a Texas Dragstrip History book, or something. Anyone elaborate on the car? Saw it run at Hallsville and I-20 Dragways. Butch/56sedandelivery.

30. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Missed this thread, Jeff?! Awesome!