Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Chevy 6 With a V/8 Head Punch!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

This past weekend..Candy-man and I went to see some good friends and enjoy the day with these guys we don't get to see very much(distance)
    We met these guys thru the local Drag racing scene and there history spans decades.
    Anyhow.Paul Dunbar is re-building a drag car(resurrecting and re-storing) the old Rydell,Hope and Lang Vega.
    (Yes, the car is O/T,but I am more interested in the driveline for this place.)
    The car is an original that never ever saw the street and was a home grown flip top.
    What is very interesting is the Chevy six with the V/8 spliced Chevy head.
    I never heard of such a thing, nor saw one.These guys apparently were the first to do so.
    By cutting a V/8 small block head in half and welding them back together..it fits on a chevy 292 six.
    the original head was off a unknown late sixtys car... but this head is a race head(aluminum) and welded together.The bores are the same.
    Pretty neat info and would be wicked in a hotrod or custom.In this application.. the set up is injected and on alcohol.Stock rods,stock crank, and (forgive me) a piston of which I cannot remember the details.
    This car will just be an exhibition deal as Paul is building it as therapy for an illness he is battling.

Anyhow... Wes(James Boys) grabbed some shots of a great Saturday and it was a super day!Many thanks Wes for the pics!!
    Many thanks to Paul and Sandra Dunbar,Jim and Wes McClelland and of course..Mr. Chevy...K.S.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Seen something like this once before and it may have been this one. Wicked!

3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I believe it was a feature Zeke in HR mag a bazillion years ago...maybe even a few mags.....I asked the guys, but they could not remember.

4. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Very cool, and very interesting idea with the spliced V-8 cylinder head! OT or not, I dig the old Vegas, floppers or pro stock. I'd love to hear this one go down the track....it gotta sound wicked! Thanks for sharing the photos, Jeff!

5. xsquiden

xsquiden

Leo Santucci built one with a spliced V-8 head and is running a turbo its in a 54 stude one powerfull straight six.
    Later
    Mike

6. Truckedup

Truckedup

The spliced V-8 head swap on inline 6's was banned from certain NHRA classes about 35 years ago because they were winning all the races.

7. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

You are correct... Mr. Santucci actually wrote about this Chevy Six (which Jeff has posted above) in his book !

The first time out for this six, using now very very rare and expensive Corvette heads, which would be worth a ton of $ now, ran over one second faster than the record in H/G at the time....

What you do not see in the pic's is the custom side covers (below the V8 Crower Injectors also cut in half) are angled, for the push rods exitting the lifter bores, on a slight angle, to enter the V8 head... The front and rear cylinders were cut and re-welded together much like the valve cover.....

This is an awsome build by a great guy !

Thx Paul Dunbar for the educational lesson and a trip down memory lane !!!!

8. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Man that's cool!

9. Here is a pic of the car as purchased.
    We have known Paul for over 30 years..Spent a lot of time going up & down roads,barns and flea markets.
    I applaud my friend for taking this on..

Rick

Attached Files:

10. jalopy45

jalopy45

40fordtudor likes this.
  11. skipLYB

skipLYB
    from Georgia

Too cool! There's a guy who did it with a Ford 300 using "Cleveland heads" -cast iron!!! I kept the url since I'm running a 300 in my 77 F-100.

12. koolkemp

koolkemp

Wow thats very cool! I remember reading about the V8 heads on the 4 bangers yrs ago but never heard of this, I would love to hear it running :D:D

13. 6inarow

6inarow

I was just in Wes Rydells shop on Friday and saw the aluminum head they built for the 6. It was on a shelf above a photo of the car. Is this the head you are referring to?

14. snaptwo

snaptwo

Left coasters probably remember Kay Sissell and his altered,same type of deal, spliced V/8 heads on a 292,one bad jose in it's day.

15. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

I could be wrong but I think Rydell, Hope & Lang had this same setup in an Anglia before the Vega. I went to Indy to watch and theres the V8 chevy head on their car and the Cleveland V8 head on the Preperation H 300 ford 6 Maverick along with a $1000+ worth of Weber side draft carbs. At the time I had a 300 ford 6 powered Anglia and I remember thinking that I just got priced right out of the 6 cylinder classes. There was no way I could afford what was rumered to be a $3500 head

16. 6inarow

6inarow

Yep - that's the head I saw at Rydell's. the picture was of an Anglia. I asked Doug Peterson about it and he told me it was a pair of aluminum Corvette heads that the got directly from Chevrolet through the dealership. they chopped them apart and welded them together. Had what looked to be a Hilborn set up on it too. They cut and welded a pair of aluminum corvette valve covers for the head too.

Must have run OK - the picture of the Anglia had its wheels off the ground a long way!!

17. I believe I saw this down at the Hartman Bash. Very cool set-up!

18. 'Mo

'Mo

You might dig this one from decades past.

Because of different bore spacings, the Cleveland heads were cut into six pieces. A welder wearing an asbestos suit welded them up inside a furnace! :eek:

[​IMG]

19. jalopy45

jalopy45

You don't do furnace brazing inside a furnace :)

20. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Why go to such extremes?:confused: the furnace, not the 6 pieces.

21. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

:p
    The original head on the six was a cast iron head, arc welded, from what I have been told.

22. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

The Chevy six was originally in the Anglia, then the Vega....

It ran both Crower and Hilborn Injection....

23. Not likely, but good story and may have some merit. If they were trying to weld aluminum castings together, the castings would need to be pre-heated to keep them from cracking form uneven cooling rates around the weld area. Doing it all in an environment that was already up to preheat temp (like 250deg) would make the long welding process a lot easier to control.

Still calling BS on that one (for now) as that would be pretty damn hot for the welding equipment...

24. F&J

F&J

Never followed the rules, but there was a local early 50 Chevy coupe that had that V8 head and Webers back when Connecticut Dragway was still open. Sponsored by Gem Chevrolet, and that car was a handful. What a strange sound it had at full load.

25. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Way kool thread, Jeff, thanks!

26. back in high school "82" my good friends uncle ran a 9 sec. pinto. ford 6 with a cyl head made from 3 351 heads welded.ithought it cost 3500

27. 6inarow

6inarow

I thought that the cylinder head I saw was aluminum and Doug told me that was the one they made for the car in the picture. He also told me the trouble with that particular head is that the compression was so high that they were worried it would knock all the seats out of it. He never said if it was a problem or not - just that that head was not run on the strip as much as they would have hoped.

Maybe I was mistaken - maybe it was iron but I could have sworn thats what he said.

Custom aluminum valve cover too. Saw that with my own 2 eyes

28. Paul just got the motor back for Rydell ,Hope & Lang car.Wayne Lang built the original motors,and done this one as well.
    He bought a new alum. set for this project and had them done.

Rick

29. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

You are correct, the one you saw was aluminum, however; the ORIGINAL head was cast iron from what I have been told....

30. 'Mo

'Mo

Just repeating what was in an old article (HRM?), asbestos suit and all.