Register now to get rid of these ads!

fire out my exhaust?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kelseydum, Nov 13, 2011.

1. kelseydum

kelseydum

Got my new 350 in the rod finally (it's a 1973 350 rebuilt stock). It's running really good, but for some reason am getting a shot of fire coming out of the exhaust. This only happens when it's at idle in park or neutral and I hit the throttle hard. I did notice it happen the other night on the freeway… I got her up to about 90mph and when I let off a small flame came out.

Is this due to incorrect timing, maybe carb running rich… or someone mentioned re-adjusting the valves after the motor was broke in??? What do you think?

2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Valves set, carb floats to high, vacuum leak, sticky valve, timing, carb linkage adjustment to accelerator pump, any or all, ................

3. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

X2 any or all of the above. check carb first.

4. Are you using stock manifolds ,headers or WHAT?
    Fire is not going to run thru 10 ft of exhaust pipe..give some detail

5. burnout2614

burnout2614

The type of exhaust you have is probably contributing to this. How can you see the flame? peace

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Most likely a misfire in the ignition or too lean mixture allowing a slug of unburned gas out the exhaust, when the engine fires so does the exhaust.

7. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

What are you complaining about? Most guys have to pay extra to have that happen...

8. marvbarrish

marvbarrish
    from SoCal

If you have glass packs on the car. It's your mufflers. If the exhaust gets real hot they'll come apart like that.

9. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

X2 It could be worse, there could be smoke coming out. I will take flames any day.

10. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

dam right!!!! and people dont f with your ride when they see flames coming out of the exhaust!

11. Fire coming out of the exhaust, you consider this a problem? 'Long as the engine is running fine, and you have fire coming out of the exhaust pipe only, I see no problem.

12. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

The lakes headers on my A-boner would have a 6" blue flame at cruise coming right out the center, looked cool at night, would shoot small flames out when putting the clutch in after a high speed blast, and also when down shifting to slow the car down.

I always thought it was pretty rad.

13. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Kelsey, I was drag racing a friend 33 years ago at twilight in my '70 GTX. (He had a '66 Chevelle). I was several lengths ahead of him and when I backed off at the end of the run, he said flame was coming out both pipes. I consider that a good thing. I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy your ride! (Love your pinstriping and other artwork, BTW)

14. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Ha, ha, my friend had a Vette with an L88 hood and sidepipes. The BBC was running nitrous. One night, during a race. a sheet of flame blew out from the back of the hood, over the top and flames shot out from the sidepipes. It was quite a sight.

15. I'm calling it normal, I've had it happen (from what people behind me said) letting off the gas with headers, short mufflers and a steep set of rear end gears.

Bob

16. mercmaniac

mercmaniac

17. It's not entirely abnormal, especially with a short exhaust, to get some flame or popping when you let off the gas. You can dick around to adjust it to make it stop if you want, sometimes it's as simple as an exhaust leak and a rich mixture.

18. Bigdaddyhemi

Bigdaddyhemi

What cam are you running. A long duration cam can cause this but really nothing to worry about if that is what it is,, I wish I could get mine to do it. I have flame throwers on my 50 pickup but there is a time and a place and it's not on the highway...lol

19. kelseydum

kelseydum

Thanks for all the replies. I'm using a worn out Quadrajet I'm almost positive has vacuum leaks, so I picked up a new Edelbrock 600cfm I'll put on there. Also my exhaust comes straight up out of the hood (if it had a hood) like the old derby trucks and they are about 2 1/2 feet tall... basically tight fit headers flipped upside down with glasspacks connected to them. It didn't do this with the other motor but it did have vacuum leaks from that same quadrajet.

Anyway, thanks for the replies and I'll see if this new carb helps.

20. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :confused::confused:

21. mysteryman

mysteryman
    from atlanta

curious what kind of car is it.post some pictures

22. sololobo

sololobo

WE NEED PIX!! ~sololobo~

23. most likely internal leakage from the q-jet. High vacuum under decceleration is drawing extra fuel into the cylinders and out the "stacks", imho.

24. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

uhhh........

Glasspacks sticking up where the hood should be?

This I gotta see......

I demand pictures!!

25. Uh oh. You're not running a tractor grille are you? Seriously, pics would be interesting.

26. Uh, oh...I smell a RAT.

27. kelseydum

kelseydum

Not a rat! A traditional rod... something your young hotrodder would have built back in the day... and could afford... and could drive the crap out of. It does have some personal touches to it, but EVERYTHING on there is functional right down to the custom windshield wipers. It's a '37 Ford frame with a '46 International Cab, custom bed... custom everything else. Grill inspired by the '34 Ford. All new suspension and brakes, power windows and a tailgate that's not welded shut. All old school parts besides the new suspension and brakes. I built it 100% with my own hands and learned a LOT along the way.

The exhaust was actually an idea from my father-in-law who is a true blue traditional guy... I know it surprised me too.

Next project is a 1929 Desoto... possibly with a Dodge 270 HEMI!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll get some full shots up soon, if any one wants to see it.

28. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

you got those tractor pull headers and your complaining about flames?

29. kelseydum

kelseydum

The old motor didn't flame and the new motor does. I was just trying to make sure nothing was going to blow up on me... I just dropped around a grand on the motor which is a lot of money to me.

The headers are good ceramic coated headers too, even though you can't see them.

30. Yeah, for some reason it's tough to see the exhaust in those pics...