Register now to get rid of these ads!

1935 Ford Pickup - our new shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by houseofhotrods, Nov 14, 2011.

1. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Haven't been posting much on here since July of 2009 when my brother passed in an auto accident. The '40 Chev Straight axle coupe I was working on is parked in the same spot, blocking the chopped '36 Ford coupe that is close to being a driver, and the '51 Ford Coupe I was also in the middle of working on. Now that his home has been sold, and most all of his belongings - which were many - have found new homes, it's time to get back to work again after a few failed attempts to do so.
    Decided it was also time to get back into a '30's driver, and after trying to find just the right one - my good friend Curt West - the master chopper - put his '35 Ford Pickup on the market. After a few, ok many, weeks of wrestling, we put a deal together, and the truck was mine. One small detail was that he was in the process of sectioning the seat base so that us taller folk can fit. Three weeks later - he delivered the truck last night, and I was so stoked I drove it for two hours - mostly in the rain.
    The truck is all steel, and is powered by a '68 wide journal 327, a T-5, and a 9 inch which is located by some cool custom made "ladder 'bones". Up front a dropped axle, and the chassis is pretty much stock. There's a bit of chrome inside, and it's all black inside and jambed in black for it's eventual shiny black outside finish. I will drive it as I tweak it into my own, doing some interior first, side windows etc. The exhaust is straight - and the rumble, or should I say bark - is awesome. It's nice to be 'back on the street'. Here's a couple of quickie pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mercjoe

mercjoe

I'm truly sorry for your loss man, that's terrible. Hopefully this old junk help you forget some.

The pickup is gorgeous, but why don't you put the 327 on the 40' chevy and a flathead on this one ;)

3. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Thanks Joe. That thought has crossed my mind - the 327 is on a Hurst mount, so that wouldn't be any issue to do. The '40 Coupe has a pretty nasty 355 that replaced a 331 that was an old roundy round motor - wasn't much good under about 3000 rpm. The car has a pretty extensive 1/4 mile history, went street in the early 70's then got wrecked, hasn't been on the street since. It needs to stay wicked, mean and nasty. We'll see in time! :)

4. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Sir,
    That truck needs nothing!!! Love it! I dont have to tell you to drive it...you already are. I'm sure you are making your brother proud!
    Paul

5. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Looks great!!! Your plan for shiny black is a good one.

6. Awesome little truck!
    Thanks for sharing, but I'm jealous now... :rolleyes:

7. 510madmav

510madmav

That truck is perfect

8. I'm sorry for your loss but glad you are getting back into it - the truck is just perfect ....

9. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Awesome truck. I have really started to like 35/36 pickups here recently and this one looks great.

10. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Sorry for your loss ! Sweet truck !

11. mercjoe

mercjoe

I was kiddin' , it's just beautiful. Enjoy it and keep posting.

12. metalix_421

metalix_421

Way to get back into it and thats a good lookin truck you got there

13. lawman

lawman

Lost my little brother(18 years old) in Vietnam 1968. I know how you feel even after all these years.Our brothers never wanted us to be sad I,m sure. That is a Very nice truck you have now so enjoy every minute with it.

14. lawman

lawman

15. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Sorry to hear about your loss. What an amazing looking truck, and it will look even better shiny black.

16. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Sorry for your loss. It is a process, this grieving. Nice truck.
    On a safety matter, it wouldn't be a bad idea to roll those taillamps down into the fender so they are more visible and "aimed" properly. Todays drivers have a hard enough time noticing the big bright modern taillamps on modern cars so it wouldn't hurt to protect your self and passengers just a little more.
    All the best.

17. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Thank you Tom - much appreciated. :)

18. JJTF

JJTF

Awesome truck!

19. Ebert

Ebert

Love you truck, man!

20. TOMMAY

TOMMAY
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from MOBILE,AL

Man that ol' truck is a slice of heaven,bet you brother is smilin' down on you.

21. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Nice...real nice!!

How much is the chop?

22. clips221

clips221

Sorry for your loss. Good looking truck. Maybe one of these day's my 37'll look that good. Keep us posted.

23. koolkemp

koolkemp

Very nice little truck! Drive the wheels off it, it will be good therapy :)...having lost my little sister 33 yrs ago I know your pain. The old car stuff has always kept my mind(and my hands) busy when other stuff tried to drag me down.

24. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

Losing both of my parents inside of 3 years, I can relate to your pain. This old vintage iron sometimes can keep a smile on our faces and our minds busy.

Sweet 35 pickup that you have acquired. I just scored one myself and you have given me some vision on getting it where I want to go with it.

Good Luck!!!

25. nobuckets

nobuckets
    from austin, tx

Sorry to hear about your brother.

Do you have any photos of just the chassis, esp. the custom rear bones and the engine/trans mounts?

Also, what size tires are on it? Good looking truck!

26. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Thank you LeadSledMerc - 5 inches

No Pics underneath, yet - just snapped these between rain storms so I would have some 'inspiration' while at work, will take some and post them when I can get near a hoist. The tires (from memory) are 5.60 fronts and 7.50 rears, both Firestone 'Gum Dipped' :)

27. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Cool...thanks.
    I picked up a '37 recently, and yours has an awesome look!

It great seeing another fellow hot rodder get his spark back!!
    Keep that fire going and get us some pics of your other projects also.

Welcome back!! :cool:

28. nobuckets

nobuckets
    from austin, tx

Cool, thanks!

29. Good to see you back Tim, that truck is AWESOME!

30. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Thank you LSM - lots of work to do - but fortunately some cool stuff to work on still sitting around here ;)

Thanks Chris. It's been too long - been 'lurking' and watching the cool stuff you've been up to - good stuff my friend! :D