Register now to get rid of these ads!

General Jumbo wheel ideas help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordcpe, Nov 13, 2011.

1. fordcpe

fordcpe

Ok I chrome two of my general jumbo wheels to see if they look any good on my 34 ford coupe.I had to narrow the fronts 1 inch to clear the calipers.The help I need is color what do you guys think. So far It is going to be black wall tire with the trim ring on.The med. blue is the color that is in the pin strip thinking of going darker blue what do you experts think. I have the red 1955 caddy with WW for the car now just tring to get some thing totally different. Darrell

Attached Files:

2. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

Stick with the red ones.

3. fordcpe

fordcpe

more pictres

Attached Files:

4. F&J

F&J

Definate no on the trim ring. It looks wrong for some reason.

I think I keep seeing the stock ones at the Hershey show years ago. Those were black with chrome spoke and cap.

The new blue does not look right, especially if you just look at the small thumbnails. It grabs the eye too much. Just opinions from someone who can't even get his own car looking right :)

5. fordcpe

fordcpe

Yes the originals were black outer with a pin strip. I do see that this blue doesn't work I tried black and didn't like it. Going darker blue then maybe red.Centers are just setting in the outer so pretty easy to change colors.

6. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

Change the med blue to body color blue and throw the wide whites on. Thats my opinion. Then possibly the trim ring. (possibly)

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Chrome the rims and use blackwalls. Those Jumbos and the other makes (Goodyear, Firestone, etc.) versions are really fine looking and catch the eye no matter what the body color.

8. fordcpe

fordcpe

I like them all chrome but I am going to go broke with these things. Buy wheels, Hours to take them apart. Then chrome centers $175 each.Hub caps around $125 each repos. prime paint or chrome outer ring ? Then need tires all this for an extra set of wheels.This why I only did two centers to see if I could make them look go on my car.Here are some Jumbos as they would have looked in 1934. Darrell

Attached Files:

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

It costs what it costs to get what YOU want. The original finish with black and striping is fine too.
    The Firestone "Super Balloon" wheels we had at the store years ago were originally a tan/beige color and had a smooth hub with spokes(non-functional) over it from the rim to the hub cap lip.

10. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I've always loved Jumbo wheels. As I always say it is a lot cheaper to do this on paper. Here are a few color options.

Attached Files:

• 34-1.jpg
      34-1.jpg
      File size:
      250.4 KB
      Views:
    • 34-2.jpg
      34-2.jpg
      File size:
      349.9 KB
      Views:
    • 34-3.jpg
      34-3.jpg
      File size:
      350.7 KB
      Views:
  11. chaddilac

chaddilac

I like them better with white walls....

12. Excuse me for asking, but why are you set on using the Jumbo Wheels? To me they look like coach wheels, kinda heavy looking, just thought I'd ask.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  13. fordcpe

fordcpe

I have to learn how to do this it would save me alot of time.Darrell

14. fordcpe

fordcpe

My dad loved these wheels he bought the repo caps and 5 rough wheels in the 80's I am just try to finish one of his dreams.He is gone now and this is how I am trying to keep the memories alive.I have collected around 20 of these wheels and still have the rough ones at the bottom of the pile.Darrell

15. fordcpe

fordcpe

[​IMG]I sort of like the body color one I need to try this with the trim ring.Darrell

16. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Here it is with a trim ring.

Attached Files:

• 34-4.jpg
      34-4.jpg
      File size:
      326.6 KB
      Views:
  17. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

I like these personaly. Now if there were wide whites...

Just curious what these rims are worth a piece?

(For a usable original with the chrome worn off)

How rare are they?

I think I have a couple

18. F&J

F&J

that's the best pic so far with your very light body color.

The black rim with pinstripe on a very dark body is the best IMO, but I think you are good to go with this latest choice. Time to go chrome plate the other 2 :)

19. olskool34

olskool34

I think I would like them better with just a chrome cap and painted all black. Just my 2 cents.

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

you asked - I think a very dark blue metallic with thin body color pin stripe (maybe dual stripe) instead of beauty rings with blackwalls - since 2 centers done might as well continue on -

21. gascrank

gascrank
    from Indiana

I have a 1930 MoTor annual show magazine, on the back cover is an ad for the Motor Wheel company with similar wheels,(less chrome), they are pictured in dark green, pea green, mustard yellow, tan, red, orange, and blue-gray, with various pinstriping. Just a historical note. By the way I like the dark blue.

22. fordcpe

fordcpe

Man I need to buy you a beer you are saving me lots of work. Thank you Darrell

23. fordcpe

fordcpe

I have bought some for $125 for nice one no pitting to 150 for set of 5 all with no caps. Caps are the hard thing to find. Guy was sell some on ebay this year repo caps for around 125 each. Darrell

24. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Glad I could help you. I don't usually do art for free but, I hate to see someone going in circles on a project. That is why I started doing this in the first place.

25. fordcpe

fordcpe

I tried to stay away from the Wide White walls but I think I will be going with them now.I think it will look good with the body color or this one trim ring and WW walls. Darrell

Attached Files:

• 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      500.5 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      487.4 KB
      Views:
    • 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      504.5 KB
      Views:
  26. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

If I had 'em, I'd paint the rims black and use the trim rings. Or, if you can't decide, I'll take 'em off you hands and put 'em on my '36!

Brian

27. fordcpe

fordcpe

I like them now with the white walls. I love these pictures. Darrell

Attached Files:

28. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

LOL, so does that mean I won't be able to buy them from you? They look killer on your car, and the WW's look good with the trim rings. Great looking rims, and NOT the same old same old. Good choice.

Brian

29. fordcpe

fordcpe

Without the trim ring and a wavey black marker pin strip

Attached Files:

30. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Nope. Trim rings. :D