Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Project Thirty Eight

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Hey now!!! I've said it numerous times on this site. I love when cars evolve over the years. It shows how we all grow and even though that car is pretty rad and I don't think I could touch it, I know that the upgrades will make it even better!

That car is killer and I'm glad that at least some of you guys are attached enough to a car that you keep them and treat them like family. Lots of sweat has been put into cars that are bought and sold. It's nice to see a couple constants in this world one being you and that '38.

3. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

didn't drive it in 2 yrs? not even down the street to get a gallon of milk? I hate to sell anything, I bet it was hard

4. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Man you scared me. When I read that the 38 was going away on a trailer,I thought you had sold it. I felt a lump in my throat. Then I read the rest of the post. Keith will take good care of her. Can't wait to see what you two have up your sleeve.

5. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

If you're implying that he sold it, he didn't! :)

Looking forward to seeing what changes will be made. ..And I'm actually quite curious, too!

Malcolm

6. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Ryan,WHATCA GONNA DO,WHATCA GONNA DO! cant wait to watch this unfold.

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

For some reason I feel a flathead coming on but I kinda hope that the Chevy engine stays in there. I don't wanna be left all alone Ryan haha!!!

8. Ryan, I feel for ya, I have an OT car that started out as a great driver, Ive had it thru dating, moving, unemployment, marriage, divorce, even sold it twice and bought it back both times. When I got it back I started a build kinda like yours, I wanted car that after I ran it at the track I would be told not to bring it back without a roll bar. One thing led to another, 4spd out manual valve body auto in, 400 out 462/535 hp in etc etc.......it hated heat, traffic and pump gas. It killed me to have it set. 5 years and maybe 1200 miles later, I came to a decision.....535hp/manual auto is sold and gone, nos 1/4s and fenders in hand, 455 HO/4spd ready and its going to go back to a daily driver, but, a daily that looks new. Good luck in your build, I hope it turns out to be exactly what you wanted! I know Im not taking any shortcuts and thanks to a loving wife, I have a blank check!

9. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Nice. Now, I'm gonna have to go up to the Ranch, to make an inspection :)

10. Looking forward to the rebuild! My 54 is in a similar state, time to do something.

11. stromberg-97

stromberg-97
    from England

Ok, you got me....Hands up...Sounds like good news. I know you love a Model A and all that, but grafting on a 28 cowl is way drastic!

12. I feel ya.

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Nope. Part of this car's character is speed. A flathead just won't cut it for this car... However, the SBC is coming out and going towards another project. Another overhead is going to take its place. A pretty special one too...

14. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Looks like a hotrod to me.

15. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Let the games begin!!

16. cant wait to see how it turns out

17. Rand Man

Rand Man

Several years ago I was heading South on MO Hwy 171, toward Joplin. I passed a few traditional Hot Rods heading North. When I passed the '38, I turned around. I told my Son "Looks like there's something going on at MO-KAN. This may be something we may want to check-out". That turned out to be HAMB Drags #2. Glad I did.

18. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I've been procrastinating on my coupe for about as long. Maybe this will get me out in the driveway to tinker on it. I fully understand. My Forty coupe has been with me since 1967, when I was fifteen. Waiting eagerly to see what you decide to do with yours.

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I know you're not going to tell us, and honestly what would be the fun of doing so. Just keep leaving some bread crumb for us to tag along.

Is it a 394 Olds? No, Don't tell me.....

Oh and don't let that Sasquatch Chris Swenson let you hear this because he'll just tell you to go get a mustang. I hate that douche bag and love him all at the same time. :D

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Good to see it on it's way back... Makes me think of my poor Plymouth, also built to go fast ('round turns too!). It's been sitting or driven lightly since an unfortunate acceident a couple of years ago because I have been too damn busy doing everybody else's stuff... Gotta change that one of these days. Life is way too short to not have a fast car!

21. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Well, with a Master like Keith Tardel at the helm, I'm sure it will be an amazing ride once you guys are done. Looking forward to the ride.

22. henrys_way

henrys_way
    from Maine

I had a pit in my stomach when I read the trailer line as well...
    Cant wait to see this story unfold.

23. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

Can't wait to see this one

24. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

Keep the seats and interior. Beyond racing, it seems like that's where some of the best memories happened. You'll still be able to smell them.

25. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I've never been attached enough to a rod or custom to keep it for long.
    I did have my old work truck though... Bought it new and kept it and drove it daily for 25 years..
    I must be sick..........................

26. BLAKE

BLAKE

That car absolutely rules.

27. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

28. mgbtc

mgbtc

Ryan:
    You made a good decission, and are lucky to have a Brother you can trust to make the car nice. I had one, since I was sixteen, went on our first date in it, all of our children were brought home from the hospital in it, you now the story, I'm 58 know, blew up the engine in the driveway a few years ago, and got pissed and sold it last year. Still having a bit of sellers remorse. But you can't keep them all!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  29. After seeing that tiny video from the S&P tour all those years ago, I always wanted a ride in that car. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  30. My crystal ball says "see you & the 38 on the salt next year....." :eek:

Then again, the ball isn't always right.:eek: