Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What!!? another 27 on 32 chassis!??. Scratch build body.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mindover, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Wowwwwwwwwwwwww!!

2. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks guys. I have a long way to go yet in making this body. The offer I had of the loan of the front half of a '27 body has gone because he has sold the car so I am looking for a firewall again to copy.(anyone got one for sale or to lend me) I have plenty to get on with in the meantime!.

David

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  3. Great work & good to hear that you've fired up the engine. Can't you get some dimensions off Tony's car??

4. hasty

hasty

Fantastic! Another Mindover thread. Looking good already.

5. El KaMiNo KiD

El KaMiNo KiD

beautiful work man..

6. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Bob, I can measure Tony's car but its all in one piece so hard to take patterns from the firewall with the steering and engine in place. I need to have an original firewall so I can get the dimensions spot on. Its a pity you are the other side of the bloody world or I could borrow yours. I am sure I will get my hands on one before too long.

The engine ran really well fired right up once we got the leads in the right order.

David

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  7. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Hasty & ElKaMiNo Kid

Thanks Guys.

David

8. Dyce

Dyce

That's what I was talking about David!! The quater looks great!!! I can't wait to see how you do the inner structure on the body.

9. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Jeff the plan is to do it as close to the original as possible.

David

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

David...Place the engine in the frame first, considering the finality of the front crossmember...Consider the radiator, (most '27 Hiboys have the radiator in front of the crossmember, an unfortunate afterthought)
    The stock '27 T firewall juts forward 2", I know it's an integral part of "twenty seven cosmetics" but relented to a nice aluminum one (braked and shaped) so as to be able to use a full hood without the car looking like Cyrano!
    I have built 3 of these, and am working on a fourth. (my previous one was stolen, along with other cars and many parts)
    I urge you to look up a '27 Highboy that was featured in Hot Rod Magazine in 1958. The car was from St. Louis, MO. and the title of the article was "A Flivver No More".
    Car had perfect proportions, and sported a nickle plated '27 shell. The '32 frame horns were replaced with shorter Model A horns...(I would have kept the '32s, but it was clean nevertheless)
    Your frame rear kickup is as mine I did 3 years ago, when my shop is finished out back I'll finish the car. (also doing a '27 T Touring (on '32 rails)
    Cheers, Mate.

11. jipp

jipp

im a huge fan of T;s, speedsters etc.. 27t on 32ish rails is always a good looking ride to me.. much respect and i think you have more people watching your thread than you may think. there is a lot of shy hambers, :D i know shy, and hamb, hot rod.. odd.. :D
    chris.

12. BarryA

BarryA

Only found this now - I've been missing out.... Nice work (as always) David!
    Subscribed!

13. Hi Dave - I'm doing another '27... is there space here to take patterns?
    [​IMG]
    Otherwise the body needs to come off for some repairs before paint early next year - after I've cobbled up a bonnet...
    [​IMG]

14. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Hi Mike thanks for the advice, I did a search for the car you mentioned but could not find anything. Do you have any pics?. I figure that with the flathead in the car and the firewall in the same position as the original I should have no problems with clearances and putting the radiator in the correct place. That said The reason I have now started on the body is so I can put this in place and mock everything up before I make the chassis too final. Like I said please post some photos of the car you mentioned that was featured in hot rod Mag in '58. I would also be interested in seeing any photos you have of the twenty sevens you built.

Cheers

David

15. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Chris (Jipp) Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Barry Hi Barry, hope alls well with you. Thanks!. Working on the body but I have little time and no time to upload any photos at the moment. I will as soon as possible.

David

16. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I got a bit more done today. I worked on the rear quarter and it should be in one piece with a couple of hours work Monday so I will post some photos then. Glen came over and he stripped the front end down and is taking the drums for further stripping ready to be blasted and rebuilt. The engine and 'box are ready to come out he should have the rest of the donor car stripped Friday when he comes over next.

David

17. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks Phil, I will take you up on the offer when you take the body off if I don't come up with something before that.

David

18. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    Shadow Creek likes this.
  19. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

20. stephane-rod

stephane-rod
    from france

21. Damn. Beautiful.

22. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Cheers cactus1. I welded the section shown above to the rest of the top section then welded this to the side section. I use gas welding for almost all my panel work.

[​IMG]

In the photo above the welding has been done but not dressed out.

David

Lil'Alb and Shadow Creek like this.
  23. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Blade58, Lil'Alb and Shadow Creek like this.
  24. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

25. SOLID9

SOLID9
    from EuroTrip!

That'll look mint when it's all planished out and smooth. Do you go with long welds or do you jump around with stich welds until it's fully welded?

26. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

If you look at the weld you can see that the HAZ is quite narrow and very even, this keeps the distortion down because its uneven heating rather than the heat, that causes distortion. I did this as one continuous weld.

David

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  27. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Shadow Creek likes this.
  28. fleet-master

fleet-master

Hi David your quarter panel is lookin great! Did you get much 'pull' travelling out onto the flatter area in the front of the panel?

29. Dyce

Dyce

Quarter looks great. How did you put the bead in around the wheelwell? Pullmax?

30. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I used a Pullmax for the bead, I had no problem with pulling in the flatter area at the front of the panel but it did cause some in the rear part. That is why I had to dress that area. I will try a different method for the other side.

David