Register now to get rid of these ads!

misused discriptions that irritate or annoy you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotrodchevy

hotrodchevy

it''s how he likes his burgers"rare"

2. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Those all get me too, and every person I have ever heard say "Battleship" was from Ontario originally... so maybe that's where it comes from.

I have hearses, I hate when people call them Hursts...

Your truck appears to have a front rear diff though... ;)

[​IMG]
    :D

I know right? I'm selling an 80 442 for my buddy right now, I know everything about the car, probably more then he does!

One I have been hearing a lot lately is Dog house, I see it used to explain the front clip of a car, the dip in the firewall for engine clearance, the rad support and inner fenders, and even the hood... and that's in the last week or so I heard all those... as far as I always knew the "Dog House" was the engine cover when the engine protrudes into the interior of a vehicle like a COE or a van.

3. ironpile

ironpile

I try to ignore it,I usually know what they are talking about.Can`t teach everyone.Besides ,I still make plenty of mistakes.:D

4. mickeymoto48

mickeymoto48

Example: "Ten thousand dollars invested. Must sell, sacrifice - $5000 obo". Really? That's an investment?

5. 4t7flat

4t7flat

The one that bugs me the most is "Trophy Winner". If you go to enough cruise nights,or small shows,eventually everone wins a trophy. "Draws lots of attention ",is another one that is meaningless. Every old car draws attention.

6. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

"mint condition" just means they're asking 'mint' prices
    (and I don't mean a chunk of peppery candy)

I hate when people say "nice '57 Chevy", or "nice '32 ford",
    totally oblivious to the actual year/make/model of the car

OH! And when a car guy says a car "sexually excites them" ("paint-job gave me a boner", etc), that just strikes me as perverse/mentally-retarded. Like, what the hell kinda place did you grow up in that a thousand pound hunk of metal sexually excites you? That shit's just weird... now, talking about all the pussy the car would get you is one thing; but being sexually attracted to an inanimate object is just... fucked.

Like, you are FUCKED if you actually believe a car to be "sexy".
    The car might be a straight-up pussy magnet; but no normal person wants to fornicate an automobile.
    I'm just saying'...

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  7. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

This is very true, I took my DD 1931 Pontiac sedan that is a 30 year old restoration to a small town car show at the last possible second a few years back, the town is very small and the mayor asked some of the local car guys to come out for a car show and cheese burgers... anyway being last second and my car being a DD, it was dirty, it mud up the sides and caked in the wheels wells from some backroads that morning and the car wash was closed, so I parked it on the main street filthy, no display, and I basically abandoned it to look at the other cars... I came back an hour later and discovered I won 3rd pace... even got a trophy! I have no idea how it won anything, but it shows that any car in any condition can win!

8. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

LN7 NUT-

Or maybe you won BECAUSE it was a DD...?

9. You know he ment 0.750 lift right or would that be 270 duration in all the confusion.
    Yea both maybe

10. When people call Modern cars, say 2010 Mustang or Challenger a 'Muscle Car'. I really don't think it reflects the Original Muscle cars. I just don't. I hate them.

11. Have to agree. Especially when people call cars 'Sexy'. What the Hell?

12. Nolando

Nolando

you guys have just about covered them all for me. The last thing I have is when people dont know how to use an apostrophe. I see it on billboards and i think, "someone was paid HUGE money to design that billboard, and they don't have spellcheck?"

13. You know, I think some cars are sexy because the curves are very.....awe hell what the fuck do you guys know? Got a phd or something. Next thing you'll be Fucking around with my shoe fettish.

See what I mean
    [​IMG]

Now if one prefers a more phallus type of representative to see the sexuality , well then somebody else is fucked, no really

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phallus

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  14. Here's one for you folks! Back in grade school they taught us that alot is actually spelled A Lot. Remember to space it. ok, . .here's another:
    I get this all the time and don't know if I should take it as a compliment or an insult.
    Person: So what kind of car do you have?
    Me: It's a 61' Cadillac De Ville.
    Person: Well! I bet that thing rides like a BOAT!

what. . . . ?

A Boat???!!

So Here I'm thinking what they Really Mean behind that word. Boat.
    Are they actually saying that my car is Slow? Too big? Too Roomy for their taste and clunky?
    I asked a friend, and they said well, because its like you're floating on water when you drive it.
    Sure, but I can't say its like a Boat. When I drive, it feels more like I'm soaring above clouds.
    Sorry. No Boat here.

15. dirty4

dirty4

"won`t last long"...are they really saying it`s about to blow up or can they just sucker someone to buy it before he junks it out?

16. Jaronimo

Jaronimo

You want it to ride like a boat. A big old car in turns leans away from the turn. A boat leans into the turns. Handling like a boat might be a good thing!

17. When people are verbally abusive...especially on here, then say "I'm just saying". Like that is somehow gonna calm the waters.

eg.: "People that say "I'm just saying" should have their head mechanically removed so someone can shit down their neck! ....I'm just saying."

I'm not saying that you can't say it like you think it is, it's your opinion, but end it after the exclamation mark when you've made your point. Don't back pedal! It's cowardly! Once you've said it, hit enter,it's done.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  18. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

C'mon, its just a stupid way to say i like it. I doubt any sane individual would stick his willy in an exhaust tip.:cool:
    Just like when we say "i drooled over your car", or "i had to wipe the keyboard off my drool". I really think its just some silly message board slang.

19. Wow!

True... but wow!

I'm just sayin!

20. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Slathered with BONDO.....

21. goose-em

goose-em
    from Louisiana

If I listed all of the "discriptions" that drove me nuts it would hog all the bandwidth.

Here are a few anyway

bumble instead of bundle
    hydrogen headlights
    self locking brakes
    Crown Victoria, as in my daughter gradutated Crown Victoria of her class.
    Excrusion instead of extrusion
    Caliber instead of caliper
    Pillar instead of column
    Turkey long feet instead of tuck and roll seats
    First class welder, a guy describing his welding skills, the guy had run maybe 2 feet of weld using MIG when he told me this

Those are a few of my favorites

22. blackprimer

blackprimer
    BANNED
    from Reality

That phrase is used in place of being able to speak to the person as though they are a child. Just sayin`

23. dmikulec

dmikulec

To tell the truth, I think the word vintage is misused and abused a lot these days.

24. indianhead74

indianhead74

25. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

"The Truest Test of a man's character is how they treat people they don't need"........not everyone had the opportunity of a good education or ever learned how to use good english........From what I've read, either you have to like one type car, type with perfect puntuation and speech, never say the word Rat Rod, Flat or Satin Black and never ever...again nevr ever say anything against Traditional Hot Rods.......your all just a $3.99 can of flat black away from being called a Rat Rod yourself........................just my opinion, much like yours.......you take it or you leave it.

26. No Rust = No body under all that bondo!

27. BHWINC

BHWINC
    from PA.

Motor Spins but we haven't tried to start it = we put a battery in and it didn't start by turning the key (and we are to stupid to find out why there is no fire).
    Or

It fired but but half the rods are knocking.

28. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

PATINA....
    When most of the time it is a rusted piece of crap.....
    Cheers.......

29. MoonshineRoyal

MoonshineRoyal

Working at a parts store I hear a lot of mispronounced (or in some cases just too stupid to know the right word) descriptions of parts. Here are a few:

Cadillac converter instead of catalytic converter

Caliber or calper instead of caliper

Pads when they mean shoes or vice versa

skrate six when they mean straight six, sometimes I've even had people say V6 when they mean straight six

Battree when they mean battery

foose pump instead of fuel pump

"It's a Chevy 350 Rocket.", this one is pretty self explanatory

same as above, except it is a 305

30. metalix_421

metalix_421

um did you know that this place is called the hamb and its a place for TRADITIONAL RODS AND CUSTOMS? and that is what we love. maybe you need to go to another forum if you dont like how WE ARE AROUND HERE!!!!!!

BTW THAT SHIT IS WHAT ANNOYS ME

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.