Register now to get rid of these ads!

Scored an Anglia - Now What?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddy_o's_diner, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Scored a cool old Anglia and am starting the mental build on it now. Trying to wrap my head around what to do with it. I love the old gassers and am stoked about having another street/strip type car. I miss the old 1320. :D

I hope to get started on it this winter, but may get pushed back a little as I'm in the middle of moving.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any suggestions, pics of favorites, or thoughts on the build?

2. gasser john

gasser john

looks good already,maybe a cage for the track and it should stiffen up the back half thats been done.have fun

3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

KOOL!!! If I built one it would have to be Satin black,low and fast. a set of americans, halibrands or ET,s would look way cool. that would get rid of the 80s vibe.

4. rod rialto

rod rialto
    from rialto, ca

Maybe a metal dash?

5. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

change the air cleaner first off (they catch on fires so ive heard) and then fix the interior. the leather on the doors and seats looks good, but not carpet on the firewall. and the dash and colum are. . yeah. but i honestly love the color, and engine in it. so do what you like!

6. derbydad276

derbydad276

get rid of the 80's yellow

hallibrands , et slots or crager s/s wheels

tunnel ram on the small block

fenderwell headers

straight axel under the front
    cage

7. Ding, ding, ding... WE GOT A WINNER. This is the direction I see it going.

A little history: I bought the car from the original builder. He bought it in 1971 for $150.00. He completed the car in 1976 and hasn't touched the body/chassis since. The wheels were obviously changed and he has had a few different engines in it. The paint is the original laquer job and is showing it's age. the color will definately change.

8. jan bogert

jan bogert

forget the everybodys same old anglia, no straight axle, simple street rod with a mix of original body and stance. something no one else has. thats were its at!!!!!!!!!!

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I understand you wanting to make it all your own, but IMO it ain't all that bad now. I'd be tempted to drive and bracket race it a little first to get a feel for what needs changed.

I like it. :)

Don

10. Hell I would just DRIVE the thing for a while, let the car tell you what it needs/wants.
    The only thing that I really don't care for is the carpet on the firewall, and the wooden dash, but it sure wouldn't stop me from getting out and "rotating the back tires" if ya know what I mean ;)

11. outlaw256

outlaw256

straight axle, tunnelram and a really good engine cleaning and go racing. the clock or redlite to redlite. i dont like yellow but it really dont look bad on that car.almost forgot cragars are a must!!!

12. grey46

grey46

Very nice ,Ive had a couple and just too much fun , Here's the last one basic 350 /350/8 inch. Must II fornt end . Was a great all around driver /hot rod. Have fun with yours..

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      101.8 KB
      Views:
  13. 94hoghead

94hoghead

Definitely swap out that breather. Had one on an old Cougar I drove in High School and it caught fire and burned the paint off of my hood and burned up some wiring. Other than that I like it the way it is.

14. Funny you should mention the Cragars, I have a picture of the car from the mid-eighties wearing Cragars and square headlights. It looked pretty swanky! ;)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  15. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Dave, the fist thing I would do if I were you is put an addition on the garage. With your aquisition habit you'll have at least a half dozen others before you get to work on it and no room to perform any updates:cool::D
    Seriously, you've already gotten some good ideas thrown at you, just pick how you want the car to end up. If pure drag racing is your goal I couldn't rest until there was a Hilborn injection on that small block (or at least a small block worthy of a Hilborn):). If your going to primarily drive it on the street just do some details that suit you and start racking up the miles.

Frank

16. 68ragtop

68ragtop
    from Texas

Don't do too much looks good as is. Yes I really like them also. we used to have a orange one running around in my home town with a bad 327 and 4 spd.

17. choptup 49

choptup 49
    from so-cal

Nice, it makes me miss mine!

18. brandon

brandon

Looks like a non blown version of chucks (pro enfo);)....change the wheels and roll on

19. c322348

c322348

Looks great as-is! Put a rollbar in it and go racing. I'd worry about making the motor better before I'd change the interior, but that's just me. You can buy another set of wheels for the street and put your slicks on the back wheels that came with it.

20. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

As soon as it back fires it'll catch fire guranteed

21. altered59lark

altered59lark
    from cincinnati

Do whatever would makes you happy! Best advice I got with my car

22. Air cleaner is already gone.

Tunnel ram and twin Carters on the bench . If I sell some shit that'll get replaced with a 6-71.

The roll cage is a go, but the interior is staying other that new carpet
    and covering the wood dash.

Here is a pic dated 1985 - It was "like totally rad, man". :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

23. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That's a great looking Anglia, and I like where you're planning to take it! Wish my paint looked anywhere near as good. I gotta get going on my new paint!

24. Good score, enjoy!

25. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I dont want to be nosey. but what did you have to give for your anglia. (just a good round number) Ive always liked anglias but dont know what there worth.

26. A little update:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little altitude adjustment and a new set of old wheels.

Pulled a rebuilt 350 4-bolt short block from under the bench today. Have a fresh set of 2.02 camel humps, a tunnel ram and a solid roller cam. Debating whether to go with an old school motor or build a blower motor.

I've done the math and like the numbers the car would run with 500 hp. That's easy with a pump gas blower motor, not so easy with an older style normally aspirated SBC. Would need some cubic inches (383 or 400), lot of compression, a wicked cam and a good set of heads. The old school intake also doesn't play well when it comes to optimizing the power potential on the engine.

Still thinkin' on the engine combination...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  27. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Bitch'n. I would wash it, check all the mechanicals, and wear it out.

28. derbydad276

derbydad276

love the wheels!!!

500 hp in a anglia would be ....PURE HELL

29. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I vote a blower or a Hilborn injection system.