Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Freakin' A" 60s hot rod drag coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Hartmann, Nov 11, 2011.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That thing is awesome!!!! Looking at the Bob Rothenberg Coupe from Missouri during the 60's I'd say you nailed it!!! Can't wait to see that thing with some paint on it tearing up the streets!\

[​IMG]

2. Awesome Coupe! You dont still have that set of Radirs that were on the car in the early pictures do you? If so, are they for sale? I'll deffinetly stay tuned for updates, I like this coupe.

3. The blower was a BIG improvement! :D

4. S.F.

S.F.

oh thats bad azz...I DIG the old tuck n roll seat

5. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

A lot of parts were sold off of this car. That wasn't really the intention when it was purchased. The wheels were sold, the mexican crate motor, etc.

Even the 32 dash that is in the car is going to go. We have a 33 pontiac dash to replace it and would like to replace the street rod gauges with SW.

My brother was not going to use the bench because he found some Huey helicopter seats. The bench went to a friend, but when ownership changed and our friend never put the bench to use, we retrieved it to reunite it with the car.

We located a guy with some cherry original front fenders and running boards. Model A rear fenders have always reminded me of mud flaps and I would like to do something a little unique with them to show off more slick. So, we are going to bob the rear fenders by removing about 4 in. from them and moving the duck tail up so that it is just below the rear of the body.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  6. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

back when we were tearing into it. The trunk was pretty messed up and the body needed patch panels.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

We pulled the body off to access the trouble areas. This also allowed us to replace the rear 8 in. ford with a 9 in. for strength.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

New panels welded in the body. We also finished repairing the trunk and replaced the missing panels. We have more work yet to do to finish the inside of the wheel wells. At the time we were do this, the goal was to do a cool, quick, budget built hot rod with the parts we had. That hasn't entirely changed, but our skills, methods, and standards have improved since these pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I found some 58 chevy tail lights at a swap meet. So I fabbed some buckets and frenched them in.
    [​IMG]

9. woodienut

woodienut
    from So.Cal.

Looks like I might have wired it at one time!
    Cool project, keep the pic's coming.

10. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

I dont care for it all cause all you guys do is ruin cars!!!! Just playin ryan its gonna be bad ass if you guys get it done!

11. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

This is what it is all about !!
    Awesome..
    Cheers......

12. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

James. we hope to have it running at the next Meltdown Drags. We pretty much have all the parts to finish it. It won't be really fast to start with, because the motor we are using to get it going is only about a 9 to 1 compression 350.

13. ScottV

ScottV

I looked at the first pics and had a happy little accident in my trousers !!!:cool:

14. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

I'm not sure how soon the car will get painted. It's probably going to be dragging in primer for a bit until we can shoot it. Right now we are intending on painting it the original maroon color (you can see it on the inside of the doors) with some kind of panel paint job.

I feel we need to sit down and plan out the project more, so that we can try to undo as little as possible while working towards a final product with all of the right things. If we run the tunnel ram, that will date the car to about 1970. I want the car to be right on in every way as much as possible. The only thing that may prevent that is the budget. We are going to try to build this with the parts that we have around.

I found this picture on here somewhere. Whatever era this is from, I like the components and our coupe will be more of a fendered verson

Attached Files:

15. superprojoe

superprojoe
    from Illinois

Awesome....hope to see it at the Meltdown Drags 2012!!!;)

16. littlechris

littlechris
    from MILWAUKEE

Neato I like the tail lights

17. derbydad276

derbydad276

58 tail lights were a great choice

18. Butch M

Butch M

thats cool.......

19. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I got found memoreys of playing buchaneer pin ball.

20. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Awesome! Keep it coming! J

21. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Very Cool!!! :cool::cool::cool: Hope to see it at the next Meltdown.

22. What a transformation, in the right direction!:D The small widow mag wheels look too cool on those chassis shots.

23. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

The front kidney bean wheels were the repop aluminum wheels. Those were horse traded with some other parts for the real magnesium 5 spokes that are now on the car. The Halibrand rears were sold off to a friend who is now running them on this dragster. The Halibrands needed the lug pattern repaired and we didn't really want any part of it.

[​IMG]

24. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

after looking at the pictures of when we had it shipped home and how it looks now, it's hard even for me to believe it's the same car.

25. Nice work. Subscribed.

26. jangleguy

jangleguy

Love it! Hope you keep the momentum going through the winter.

27. C0ra1l1

C0ra1l1

Thumbs up - I have a place in my heart for the 60's style. Going to follow this thread.

-Pasi

28. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Real nice...I can't wait to see more!! :cool:

29. SOLO

SOLO

Cool project! Very similiar to what I am doing to my 31 A. Same kind of era my car will be built around. Also running a tunnel ram from early 70's for a Pontiac. I figured it will be in the spirite of the era, instead of being totally correct. Keep up the great work, looks sweet! Subscribed!

30. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Here's a model A gasser with the rear fenders bobbed. This is cut more than what we have in mind. I also think keeping a little flair to the fender would make the chop less noticeable, but I think the chopped fenders make the car look a lot more down to business and aggressive.
    [​IMG]