Register now to get rid of these ads!

Late Models at Goodguys events?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by speedyg948, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuces

Deuces

In that case.... Have another hit!! :D:D:rolleyes:

2. fbama73

fbama73

Nothing to worry about- just Madonna revomited.

3. Deuces

Deuces

That's what I thought!.. :eek: Gag!!

4. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

I think late models are ok in my book. We are all in the same hobby. If it wasn't for the 5.0 mustangs back in the day I prob would have not been in this hobby. Spending all my money.

5. Deuces

Deuces

I still have one of them in my garage with only 60K on the clock...
    I think it's time to sell it... Maybe next Spring..
    I'm getting a little to old for street racing in a Windsor powered LX..

6. Gator

Gator

I never go on Sundays anyways, but I do think once it's started it's just a matter of time before they're allowed in all weekend. It won't keep me from going though, and I'll never get why some of you guys grouse about a business trying to make money. :rolleyes:

Another pet peeve of mine Gman, got a group of them that hit the local cruise-in in force, a coupl of them drag in matching trailers and even put up 'show cards'. A friend of mine with a couple of nice Hamb worthy cars bought one so he'd "have something 'nice' to drive to the cruise-in" :confused:

7. Spidercoupe

Spidercoupe
    from Bevier, MO

If I can walk past all the plastic cars I can walk past newer cars. What gets me is the shows that say 48 and older allow plastic cars with tractor wheels . these are newer cars that are fake as far as years go. It seems to me GG always picks a car and really pushes it in your face all year in their mag. I get tired seeing the same car month after month. thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

8. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

I heard someone ask a guy how to tell the difference in a rat rod and an Old School car......his answer was...."Ole Schoolers think their the only ones that should be here and hate the color Flat Black........the rest are here cause they love cars".........I'd never heard it put that way before.

9. They used to have a Goodguys show in Madison Wisc. and stopped it a few years ago. If they want to bring back the show to Madison I'd be more then happy to see some late models on Sunday. Small price to pay for an otherwise great show.

10. brad chevy

brad chevy

So 5.0 LX Mustangs are back in the day now. Thats a first.

11. ...I second that!

12. Weasel

Weasel

Life is about choices - if you don't like it, don't go....

13. padorey

padorey

It takes a special person to build a rod or kustom from the ground up. But just about any one can walk into a new car dealer and walk out with a new car, and payments for 6 or 7 years. Car show are for the hobbiest not show room cars.

14. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

Padorey. That is a good point and I absolutely agree.

At Joliet a younger guy showed up with a late model something or another, I really don't know what it was. Anyways he jammed a very healthy ls engine in there and a six speed and the car was wicked fast.

Is it my thing? Nope. Is it hamb friendly? Absolutely not. Was he having fun at a car event with other people who like to have fun at car events. Yep!

15. Deuces

Deuces

My '91 has been sitting for the last 8 years..:eek::rolleyes:

16. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

It's always irritated me that even though they say 1972 is the latest model allowed, I always see late models in their Gazette. This has been going on for years...

17. Fenders

Fenders

Um, there is a simple solution to not being irritated -- for years -- to seeing late model cars in their Gazette.....

18. roundvalley

roundvalley

Bottom line is that if the show is promoted by a promoter; it is done for a profit.

You don't like it; don't go and give them your money.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  19. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Buncha whiners.

How does it hurt anybody? Sundays at Goodguys events are a snore unless you won an award, so it'll bring in a few more cars and they can improve their gate. Doesn't bother me in the least.

20. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

How come Jack in the Box and Burger King sell tacos???? Don't they know they can only sell burgers?
    I love that over 50% of these bitchfests are made by people who would never go anyway. People ARE NOT going to pay to bring in late-model crap mobiles like they will to a FREE local cruise night.
    I believe the only thing "traditional" about these topics is a bunch of wadded panty crybabies.

21. I have mixed feelings about the Sunday late model thing at good guys. On one hand goodguys is a business, they must make some sort of a profit. On the other hand I think it was kind of lame that it was decided the November Del Mar event would include a get together on Sunday. I kind of feel it isn't right to charge people with a car that represents the hobby, membership dues and entrance fee, which is like $80.00, then it's decided that someone with a new camaro can show up on Sunday and participate for $20.00. Could someone please explain to me how the get togethers generate further interest in in this hobby, because other than money I don't see the point?

22. StraightSixHP

StraightSixHP
    from Tucson, AZ

On one side I can see allowing late models is just another way to bring cash in. Business wise I don't blame them. Economy is in the shitter right?
    I can also understand the die hard traditionalist being pissed at this in that some may think it degrades what GoodGuys is all about. Like it's already been said, your probably not going to see jim bob's rusted out Berlinetta Camaro out there. No offense to you Berlinetta fans by the way. As long as it is on Sunday's and they are in their own section, I don't see a problem really. Just a FNG's opinion.

Side note:
    I'm I the only one tired of going to these shows and seeing a nice T or A with a 350/350. I know to each is own, but come on man.

23. jtlester

jtlester
    from Texas

I would like to second that...Goodguys is nothing but a show to show off how deep your pockets are...

24. richie rebel

richie rebel

the sunday deal for late models next year,will turn into all weekend in a few years,you'll see

25. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Yeah....I hate Beer Drinking so I stopped going to any place that sells beer....now I can't hardly find a place to buy gas, groceries and some parts houses are next to places that sell Beer too.............GET OVER IT.....GO TO THE SHOWS AND LOOK AT WHAT YOU WANT TO LOOK AT AND LKEAVE THE COMMENTS AND OPINIONS TO YOURSELF.........if your such a purist, don't let anybody see you buying any kind of NEW PARTS for your ride.......come on guys, life is too short......we're all in this because we love cars.

26. 50Fraud

50Fraud

27. KillerKustom

KillerKustom

I'll still attend their shows, and just look at the early stuff. But I get the nay-sayers points. I like the exclusivity in a show. I dig pre-'48 cut off years, roadster only shows, '32 only shows, etc.

28. WOW!

Now I remember what turned me off being an active participant in this place.

Looking around here I see some open minded car guys, then I realize that the other 80% of particpants are just straight up clueless wankers or wannabees.

This year I travelled to the US of A to attend the NSRA Nat's, a couple of Goodguys events, a few small local shows and of course to catch up with a bunch of great friends I've made over the years I've been making these trips.

Before departing Oz, I saw that Chicken Little had posted on the internet that the sky was falling and the world would soon end, because NSRA and Goodguys were allowing those noxious late models to poison their events.

Since I already had my airline ticket I decided to take the risk and go anyhow. The mix of cars was no different at any of the events I attended. I shot over 10,000 photographs and don't have a single Camaro, Mustang or late model (post 1972) anything as the subject of any of those images (unless you count the pics of my Taurus rental car). So I guess I musta missed them or something went wrong with my cameras.

Now that I've been enlightened by the some of the experts here, I guess I'll just have to not do this trip anymore because I couldn't possibly enjoy it. To do it again will surely be to waste my money money and time getting to places and events only to find a ''76 Zundapp parked next to that crta engined fibreglass replica early Ford I came to see. I had also better spread the news to all my Aussie brothers and sisters, so they don't waste their time and hard earned cash to attend a bunch of car shows that just plain suck. Man I'm so glad that we have the internet to make sure I know what's really going on out there in the big wide world and can make sure I avoicd stupid mistakes like taking a vacation to do some cars shows in America.

I guess I had also best forget about ever attending Bonneville again, maybe even slap myself for having attended before. As I understand the SCTA rules, they've never had a model year cut-off and I do recall seeing quite a few of those damned new cars out there on the salt over the years.

Damn!

I think I'd best just go slash my wrists, 'coz it seems my entire car guy world is totally rooted, thanx the event promoters asking for money to participate and all those damned late models wanting to attend the events I like.

Funny thing, I've said to most folks since I got home that this year was one of the best US Hot Rodding vacations I ever had and the folks over on Ozrodders are loving my event pics.

What did I do wrong? How could I have enjoyed myself and the events I attended so much? Can somebody please explain how and where I went off the rails?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  29. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Couldn't have said it better!

30. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

So....folks can't have their OWN opinions on whether they want to attend an event/show where the basic parameter of the show has changed?:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.