Register now to get rid of these ads!

Late Models at Goodguys events?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by speedyg948, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris 50

Chris 50

Do you guys really think that the young, hip, modern car crowd with the big stereo and hot girlfriend want to hang out at a show with a bunch of old curmudgeons like you? Me neither.

2. RichG

RichG

I've never been to a Goodguys event, I doubt I ever will go to one, not my cup of tea. I'd rather take a drive in the summer and hit all the little shows in my area, support the local business's that participate, and enjoy the great roads that are around me.

Money hungry, money grab, it seems like the same thing to me. Starting a new venue seems counter productive to their business model, why try to support a dozen little shows when they can do one great big show in an area?

As for drag racing, the only drags I'll go to are ones at outlaw tracks, places that still allow daily drivers to get out and run the quarter. The Billetproof drags over by Toutle, WA are a great example of a good time without spending a bunch of money. I'm sure that every region has their own little events too.

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

Its bad enough new and late model Corvettes are appearing at car shows all over the place but what is really on the rise is the Chevy SSR pickup. I've just attended the Emerald Coast Cruisin i Panama City Beach Florida and can't understand why anyone would bring an SSR to a Rod Run. Much less sit by it with the hood up as if they built it. This late model stuff is getting out of hand. At least the NSRA doesn't allow this crap to attend.

4. woodypecker

woodypecker

My view is see what happens and if you don't like it don't go back.

5. Cerberus

Cerberus

This weekend is Pleasanton GoodGuys Autumn Get-Together. Last year, I showed my '56 DelRay, and a '92 Impala SS parked next to my '56. UGH! I moved my car to the otherside of the fairgrounds. I will not show/attend another Autumn Get-Together.

6. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

For those guys, old cars are a 'hobby'.
    For many of us, old cars are our way of life. My newest car is a 1966 that rarely gets driven because my daily drivers are all from the 30s and 50s.

7. brad chevy

brad chevy

Money,money,money. Thats what Goodguys do ,make money. Its their business. If one of their show locations quit making a profit,they just pull out and move to where the money is. Business is business. Shit,I don't like Burger King so I just don't go there.Simple. After one Goodguy event,I won't go again,theres plenty of other stuff to do.

8. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Much ado about nothing.

9. I'm good with 72 anything newer is plastic crap, but a new camaro isnt worth a walk by in a car show

10. slammed

slammed

YES! It's the Amerikan way. More all inclusive. More newbies posting over the top, high dollar 'big wheeled' old cars. More participants. More vendors. More spectators. More ad space for corporate sponsors. More mid-way/side show signage. BIG blow up balloon-y things like at the NHRA events. More means mo' money. But, were are car guys, so lets just let it go........

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  11. frank spittle

frank spittle

Goodguys has been catching crap forever from the Sunday spectators coming out to see the show but finding it is over and only the locals rodders still there. Their new format allows those Sunday spectators to drive their cars in and join the fun....well, what's left of it. It's a good business move that will not be accepted by some but it doesn't bother me.

12. Kenny P

Kenny P

Just curious, what's registration cost to show your car at a GG show?

13. kustomsrule

kustomsrule
    from L A

I used to go to the Pomona swap meet 4 or 5 times a year but I haven't gone at all in the past 5 or 6 years: too many late models, too many boats (yes, boats), too many duallies, too much aggravation and too little payoff. I'll go to Del Mar this month and see if the new policy turns GG events into another Pomona for me.

14. i cant believe theres another thread on here about this beaten to death shit

15. Fenders

Fenders

16. at Joliet this year, the Sunday cars cost $40.00 to drive in I believe, Goodguys was happy with the turnout, ( I heard about 200 late models showed up),...Joliets back on schedule for 2012.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  17. VonKool13

VonKool13

I don't go to goodguy shows anyways. Ever since I drove my primered '50 plymouth into a show in the 90's, and every streetrodder rolled their eyes at me and snubbed me. Now they all pretend to be traditional hot rodders, but really they just jumped on the bandwagon once their billet machines stopped getting attention. No go No sweat!

18. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

I believe registration for a Canadian who is not a member is$130. [$45 + $85 membership]. That was it for me.

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Isn't there a dead horse of a different color, we can beat?

20. A Rodder

A Rodder

Is this a format that is new everywhere but Pleasanton? For years my buddy has been going to that show several times a year. And, he has taken his late model at least once a year and gotten in and it was registered. He has plenty of old cars. But this particular show is eligible for anything american powered, any year, any make. That means a Chevy Suburban that is all stock, or a 280Z with a blown sbc. This isn't new. And these cars are let in on Friday and Saturday and Sunday. I went with him last year in his expedition. He was cautious about where we parked, to not be conspicuous. We ended up parking behind one of the buildings. I guess I don't know better, but I had a great time. I plan on going to at least the Puyallup GG show this year with our 56 Wagon. Those that bitch are more than likely the ones that bitch about the handfull of cars that sneak past the gate at a Billetproof Show or a Hot Rod A Rama.

If you can't go to a show that has 2500 cars and enjoy yourself because of 10% of the entries, you must leave a very unfullfilled life.

21. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Go to the Frog Follies---48 and older----But I did see some BRAND NEW porta-johns:eek: (glass cars) there:D

22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Dateline 1969... Woodstock... Honda CB750s... mini-skirts... fast new Mustang coupes and Camaros. I was hooked.

Dateline 2011... Lady Gaga... 'Busas... mini-skirts... fast new Mustangs and Camaros. Why wouldn't your grand kids be hooked?

Gary

23. Deuces

Deuces

Lady what???

24. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

The latest new pop tard...not worth your time.:rolleyes:

25. RichG

RichG

You're in for a bit of a shock... :p

26. Deuces

Deuces

We burned disco records once....:D I'd love to do it again with this new crap that's on the air waves...

Long live classic rock! :cool:

27. fbama73

fbama73

Hopefully, they have their own special section that can be easily accessed or avoided, depending on individual taste.

If not, I can walk past them at GG just as easy as I walk past them at cruise night.

28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you "showed" your 56 Del Ray??? that makes you a car show weenie in my book.

there are a couple good reasons to bring a car into a show, to cruise in with your buds and and park together and talk shit, so you have a place to keep your cooler full of tasty beverages and snacks, and to have a good palce to rest your sorry feet when they are aching from all the walking around you have to do to see all the other cars.

to go there and "show" it and give a fuck who parks next to you just seems very odd to me. we are obviously not involved in the same hobby.

29. slammed

slammed

Sheeple gather towards the flock, milling about the the same minded creatures. Similar clothes, cars, fat-fuc-n-snacky-snacks and hypocritical stereotyping. Break free from the herd. Drive the beach and make a stand against conformity. Who y'all foolin' wit dis 'old schoolin'. Buds are for bongs.

30. farmer12

farmer12

I'm going to the Del Mar GG at the end of March next year. As long as they have a special area for these late model cars on sunday, it's fine by me. If GG feel they need to allow these late models in order to stay alive, fine. my 2c.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.