Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tot..ally devestated

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudson48, Nov 11, 2011.

1. hudson48

hudson48

We have been building the new roadster for about 4 months now but the idea was in my head for over a year.The plan was to build a channelled 32 roadster along the lines of the Tom Branch car.See the trhread here.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=615030

In the last 20 years in Australia there has only been a handful of channelled cars done.We headed off to the Yamba hot rod run on Thursday(there will be a separate thread on that later).
    My heart sank when the first thing I saw was "my" car drive by.
    Same look,same colour.It is like someone picked my brains.I feel like the girl going to the prom in her new dress and when she gets there the first thing she sees is another girl in the same dress.

Apparently the car was built for one of the rodders girlfriends who saw the Branch roadster and wanted "one just like that".They have done a good job on it too.Different wheels and steering wheel to my plans and thermo fan and disc brakes whereas I am using 40 Ford front brakes a 50 Ford steering wheel and 57 lincoln wheel covers on gennie rims.

Anyway can't cry over spilt milk.Have to put the brain back into gear and come up with a different colour but all my other plans stay the same.
    Maybe a candy red or blue?The hot rodding community in our area is too small to do the same colour and we would both be turning up to the same runs all the time.
    Now I am off to cry in my beer!!!

Attached Files:

2. krooser

krooser

Damned copycats...

I want something different just like everyone else...

3. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  4. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

That sucks, well there's always "Plan B" I'd like to see that car in maroon. I don't care for the whitewalls and mags on that car, one or the other but not both, too pale looking,

5. LongT

LongT

I hate it when someone copies your idea before you can build it!

You'll figure out something.

BIll

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

devastated? really? build it however you want, who cares if someone has the same ideas. if you want to be unique, a 32 roadster is not the car to build.

7. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Reminds me of a bass player I used to play with. He always said he could never be a song writer because when he got a great idea he heard it on the radio the next day. lol

Nice car, bet yours will be too.

8. F&J

F&J

Wheel covers would look better than fake M/T Raders, and I would not use a V'ed spreader, or those big headlights.

9. TOT ALLY ????

ok, so you make plans to copy Tom branch's car but get TOT Ally. Devastated because somebody copy cats you ???

Hey, you can't copy toms car, I thought of copying it first !!! No no its my copy.

the chances of building a traditional hot rod that hasn't been done before or that is completely unique or innovative as a whole is kinda slim. Most everything has been done, copied, refined, scrapped, or left iconic and quasi sacred.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  10. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

is the original poster a woman complaining that some other woman is wearing the same dress?

11. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

no clue who built the car, but there was a period build '32 painted blue that was channeled., lowered and oh so nice...maybe someone knows the car i am thinking of.

12. I wouldn't sweat it. That thing isn't even close to Tom's car. Tom's roaster is just plain "right" while the car above is "wrong" in so many areas. The firewall, Lokar shifter, steering column, wheel, disk brakes, etc.

Heck, its not even the same color.

Don't sweat it, build the car you want to build, and don't let a car that's "kinda close" to the overall concept of your car sway you...

13. NealinCA

NealinCA

From the photoshop thread...

[​IMG]

14. hell put fenders on it and really be different........

15. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

Khougaz roadster maybe?

16. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

327-365 hp was dead on...car looks really bitchin in Maroon !!! He's got a pretty good eye I'd say.

17. Just think how many times that you could outrun the cops and then blame it on her!

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

So..... you're upset that someone copied an idea that you were going to copy?:D:confused:

19. the other me

the other me

KARMA IS A BITCH!!! Now you know how Tom Branch feels.....

20. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

It's called "universal consciousness"...you and ten (or more) people get the same idea at the same time...eight will never do something with the idea...one will get right after it and build it and the ninth will work toward to the end...and never get it done...

That's why the phrase "There is nothing new under the sun" was coined many years ago...and it's true.

"Don't cry in your milk" is another phrase...get over it, move on and come up with a new idea...before some other guys beat you to it...!!!

R-

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I never even thought of that one but it has a lot of merit. I wonder what the Graffiti clone clowns thing when they show up at a rod trot or show and there are more graffiti clowns there. "hey mine is a more accurate clone than yours"

Well as several said, there really isn't much that hasn't been done on a 32 roadster that hasn't been done time and time over. Forget those wheels that always say to me that "these were all the cheap ass could afford" when I see them on a car no matter what he paid for them. They just look like the car owner settled for the cheap wheels that the tire store had because he couldn't swing the "good" wheels.

Almost every one on here who has been building rods or customs for a while will tell you that they have gone to a show and there is a car just like theirs sitting there with the exact color that they were planning on. Some times it's ten cars with that color and I'm not talking black or candy red.

Run Steelies and little caps or Steelies, wide whites and something like the 53 Studebaker caps, change the paint shade a bit, change the exhaust to something that runs under the car and out the back and you can park right next to that car next year and they won't look anything close to the same except that they are both channeled 32 roadsters and you won't burn the boys if you lean too close to the engine to tweak the carb.

In 1981 I believe a friend of mine who I think might be here on the Hamb pulled into Henry's Haulers run at Marrymore park with his F-1 pickup that he had suicided the doors on over the winter thinking that he would be the only one there who had put suicide doors on his truck. I pulled in right beside him and opened the suicide door on my 48 and he about lost it but it was a good laugh in the end. We had had the same idea at the same time and acted on it.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  22. mtflat

mtflat

Whitewalls look wrong. So do the valve covers. Customizing in the 60's was the decline of hotrods. IMHO

You have a chance to do it right now!

Also possible they have internet and you just again described the differences you propose. If you did that before maybe they used your blueprint before you could. Careful of what you post when you're dreaming.

23. Tom Branch

Tom Branch

Friggin hilarious!

Build what you like, don't worry about the other guy. His car is cool and I'm sure your's will be too.

Just don't make the same mistake that guy did by putting the steering wheel on the wrong side! What's it take two people to drive that thing? The passenger's gotta steer or what?

24. blackprimer

blackprimer
    BANNED
    from Reality

(Q.). Know what the bass player got on his S.A.T`s?..(A). "Drool"

25. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Build a Coupe version. Grouch had a chopped and channeled green metalflake '32 5 window that was bad ass. 389 Pontiac and 4 speed.

26. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I was thinking the same thing. Now hot rodding a 37 Nash, that's unique... :rolleyes:

27. onedge

onedge

Yeah I too could have gone without reading this one.

Nice comments Tom!

28. belair

belair

Maybe you could build a wambulance.

29. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I like Tom's car because it was a style that was quite popular in the fifties and had seemed to have been forgotten, In the seventies and eighties, alot of thirty two's were unchaneled in order to give it a resto rod look, if you are not to tall , put a chopped canvas top on it, this will make the car look alot diferent and will give it a mean atitude.