Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods HAMB drag races.......Hot Rod Magazine Jan 2012

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by plymouth1951, Nov 10, 2011.

1. plymouth1951

plymouth1951

Wow, I just got my first hot rod magazine in a long while and have recently become a HAMBer making my way around the HAMB. This means that I am just learning that there are HAMB Drag race events and maybe others. As I am reading the table of contents of my new magazine I see a piece on the HAMB drag races. I couldn't wait until kids wentd to be so I could read that article.....in peace that is. Shazaaaam, I turn to that page and read every word and caption, then I turn the page only to find that the article was over. Dude, if that was the only coverage of that event and the people and cars that attended, hot rod magazine should be spanked. What a joke. Of all events I would have thought a traditional drag race meet capturing the way it was in the 50s should have warranted much deeper coverage by hot rod magazine. Shame on HRM!

I am Plymouth1951 with a period "hot rod" fashioning all the then current speed parts found in JC Whitney and other speed catalogs of the 1950s for my flathead 6. These speed parts have been a real project as far as finding them all in excellent condition, installing them and making them work right. I am sure too that there were tons of such cars. If I make it to the next drags, I sure hope that hot rod magazine takes some notes, interviews and a butt load of pics! As a newer participant of HAMB, I am very disappointed. What do you veteran traditional hot rodders and HAMBers think of that coverage?

Scratching my head wondering what HRM was thinking, Mike

2. drag_punk

drag_punk

Sometimes less is more.

3. poprockcrusher

poprockcrusher

ask NHRA guys about the HRM coverage they get

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

We don't need no stinking mag coverage. The event is big enough as it is.:cool:

5. plymouth1951

plymouth1951

Yes but there are 1000's of people that can't go to these events due to distance. If hot rod is going to show up then they should do a good job of covering the event and the cars. Other than the cool single pic, the rest is a Fail in my book.

6. Some folks get it, Frieburger does not.

7. HAMB coverage of ANYTHING is better than 95% of the print media ;)
    Better text, pics....all in real time. Magazines? We don't need no steenkin magazines.... (TRJ's pretty good though:eek:)

8. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

This is pretty typical of all events, 2 - 4 pages maximum. I guess the paper costs a lot of money. Hundreds of cars at these shows, and two pages. But these guys are right, if you want to see lots of picks and the latest shows fast, just read the threads. Old news by the time it hits the stands. I still like printed magazines, but man they take up a lot of space.

9. sololobo

sololobo

Hey, The South Omaha Turds are pleased with the coverage! We have'nt seen it yet but have been told X-derelict's speedster and Rob Lee's hot rod Lincoln are in the photos. As Denise says, no sweat, the event is huge without worldwide coverage, but we are not unhappy with the pix. ~sololobo~

10. tjmercury

tjmercury

Sometimes just giving people a taste of an event in a mag will spike their interest enough they might want to show up and see it for themselves. If you give 'em a play by play, they might get bored reading about it and just turn to the next page. I can't wait to see the Hoodlum Speedster and Rob's car though, they are a pair of REALLY sweet rides! You fellas definately deserve the credit!

11. jason65

jason65

Here it is. I spotted my ugly mugg in it.

Attached Files:

12. Yes, the supposed Mopar Man who when he does a big project for the magazine, builds a Camaro.

13. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

just wait until you see their coverage of the Pileup. just saying...

14. RAY With

RAY With

More stuff right here on the Hamb than in any magazines but interesting any way and I am sure it helps sell there mag.

15. rlsteel

rlsteel

Frieburger is one of the few magazine guy,s that does get it. most every thing else that is wrote is recycled garbage. RLS

16. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

The Hamb Drags are limited to however many are allowed to pre register. You may get more spectators,a good thing, but the powers that be already have control of what goes down the track.

17. Lucky3

Lucky3

Hot Rod Deluxe is the home of traditional drags like the HAMB drags.
    Frieburger is the editor of it also.....he does get it !

18. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow. Hell of a good picture. It's not every day you can open up a magazine and see two bad ass gassers haulin ass out of the hole. (one of em AMC powered no less..)

-Abone.

19. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One more thing... Tman, it is pretty rare that I disagree with you, but I am a fan of F-burger. He is not a red wheels and whitewall kind of guy but he is actually a pretty hard core hot rodder. He will lay in the gravel and pull a tranny with the best of em.

I give him credit for saving Hot Rod magazine a few years back and filling it with more than just red Cameros. The salf flat coverage alone is worth the price of admission, everything else is a bonus.

See ya, -Abone.

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Kinda makes us look like the bastard son... and I love it. To paraprase John Milner, "The other yahoos can have thier magazine coverage! We're gonna be right here... havin' fun... as usual!!"

Sometimes... being by yourself is a good thing. Thins out the herd.

21. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

That is an awesome photo and actually describes the HAMB drags perfectly.

22. das858

das858

Personally I was thrilled the H.A.M.B. drags got any coverage in Hot Rod, I also feel that Frieburger has improved the magazine.

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think that's the first time any of my events have been covered in anything from Source Interlink... I don't read or get magazines, so I could be wrong.

Either way, cool...

24. I don't hate the guy, he just misses it a bit. The last few issues have been weak. It pains me to type this but 40 years of collecting and reading has shown me that HRM is off its path.

HRD, is good, but they HAD to do it. They were losing market share to other mags.

25. Hey! The wife and I are in that picture too! Neato!

And here it is live. How's that for coverage?!

26. Considering your predictions of the printed press Ryan, it's kinda interesting that the HAMB Drags is getting ink in a major magazine like Hot Rod. They've finally recognized us!

FWIW, I've dropped nearly all my subscriptions. The HAMB and other web sources are much better.

27. Only a day late and a dollar short!:rolleyes:;):D

28. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Can't remember the year but it was an early HAMB Drags, I wrote a little something for Rod and Custom and they published it with a photo or two of mine.

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep two pages of photos is a lot of coverage for any event that Hot Rod didn't sponsor. Great photo of Don Moyer's Willys and the Green Willys launching.

Nice video Cactus1, it appears that your lady chose green that day.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  30. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Damn, some of you guys would bitch about having a threesome with two smoking hot brunettes... because you prefer blonds.

-Brad