Register now to get rid of these ads!

Late Models at Goodguys events?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by speedyg948, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speedyg948

speedyg948

just got home from work and was going through the mail, low and behold, the goodguys gazette. the first article i always read is Kirks column, which i feel is well written and informative. he speaks of just about all of us owning a later model car as our daily drivers(work,school,grocery shopping) and how being car guys we all try to personalize our rides a bit. well sure as shit, now goodguys is opening up their events to late model cars on SUNDAYSonly. their gonna call it super sunday and you can bring your new camaro,chrysler 300, challenger, mustang or whatever. upon reading this i threw up into my mouth a little bit. can't believe it, if i wanted to see late model bullshit i would go to a local cruise night. GOODGUYS WTF?..please feel free to voice yoiur opinions on this, it should be interesting!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

2. Mattilac

Mattilac

If I wanted to see late model cars, I'd open my eyes.

3. 2935ford

2935ford

Is it an attempt to create more revenue? Have these events slowed over the last few years due to the economy? At least it's still cars and not sunglasses and nick nacks.

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I'll leave on Sunday morning and go home.:(

5. Wellll.....a way to bring in more paying customers, of course.

6. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I love that the "car guys" here are so open minded.

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I go to just about every Goodguys event at the Pleasanton Fairgrounds. I've only missed one "Western Nationals" since they started. missed several "All American Get Togethers" over the years, mostly due to bad weather.

when they raised the cutoff date to 57 for the "Nationals" in August I thought for sure it would turn into the 55-57 Chevy nationals. didn't really notice any difference... and saw all sorts of cool 55 57 cars of all makes. last year the date was raised to 1972. yeah I had to walk by a bunch of muscle cars and such to find what I liked, but it is still a great show.

Sundays at Goodguys events are usually pretty dead since many people leave early to get back home. I don't think the late model stuff will take away any of the fun I have at these events.

8. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

Every year I see new cars there....'10 "1932 Ford roadster".....'09 "1933 Ford 3-window"....'10 "1940 Willys gasser"...what's the difference! Lol

There's more Deuces on the road now than in 1932!

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Two things $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    And a lot of these late models that are tricked out a bit belong to the adult kids of long time rodders be they street or traditional and the kids couldn't get into any of the good events that the folks were attending with the real rod or custom with the tricked out late model and the wheels started squeaking.
    a
    But there isn't a whole lot of difference between one of these sooptedoopte fiberglass rods that a couple of the big shops turn by the truck load with their 22 inch front wheels and 24 or bigger rear wheels and a set of tires that cost more than my first house than a 2010 Camaro with the same wheels and tires and a 10K paint job on it.

10. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

I think most of us can appreciate cars in general (although it's gotta be American for me, sorry), but we here like our old cars for certain reasons. The reasons are varied, but the general premise is the same: OLD cars.

If they need to keep the wheelbarrows ful of cash flowing, let 'em bring in new cars. I have no interest and won't look. If iut gets out of hand tho'.....forget it.

11. richie rebel

richie rebel

bull shit on there revenue, how much is enought, i hate the very thought of it, i know,i know its a business(thats there take) i can't believe this is happening,WTF.......

12. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

If being a "car guy" means I have to take interest in late model crap, then I guess I don't meet your definition. There's a reason I'm on the HAMB.

I don't mind seeing late models at cruise nights. But if I'm paying anything over $10 to go to a car show, I don't want to have to walk past dozens of Hondas to see one car worth seeing.

13. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

I was in a Home Depot parking lot full of new cars, there was a really nice 32 tudor parked in the back of the lot. I managed to walk through all the late model cars to take a look. I survived... I doubt this thread will survive..

14. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Not going ANYMORE! No, never again. Not me. Oh, I just remembered I haven't been in years.

15. Ok i have no problem with 1964 & earlier (lot of cool customs in this catagory) and even concede to allow 1972 & earlier ( cutoff year for true Muscle Cars) but if your correct and they allow all late model vehicles on sunday, that is where i have a problem. Lets just move the site to a GM, Ford or Chrysler Dealership!
    Really can't see the reasoning for this, unless it's just a money grab??:mad:

16. wheelguy

wheelguy

It's a MONEY GRAB!!! I thought STREET MACHINE NATS,ETC, was their VENUE....Personally I like about all kinds of cars besides street rods, including 50s,60s,70s ,especially tri fives & muscle cars...Mixing it up is fine for parking lot cruise-ins......I still prefer seperate shows for seperate venues.....$$$$$MONEY GRAB !!!!! $$$$$....I suspect it will only get worse....OH, DID I MENTION "$$$$MONEY GRAB"!!!!$$$$$

17. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

Hmmm....didn't expect that....All the friends you have made at shows across the country (not just GG) and you would let a handful of latemodel junks run you off and cut your visiting short. That's really too bad.

I attended all three events that had Super Sunday this year. They tried it at Joliet, KC, and Charlotte. When Goodguys announced this plan I wasn't thrilled, I really thought it was going to suck. In all three cases it wasn't a big deal. I was expecting a ton douchebag latemodel guys and there really weren't that many there. The ones that were they were talking about older cars most of the time anyways. Some guys took their old cars home and came back in the latemodel on Sunday. Some guys got to bring their kids and their post 72 cars in on Sunday. Sunday's are usually dead at some of the venues so it doesn't hurt to bring some other cars into the mix.

Late models aren't my thing and to put it in perspective I really struggled with buying my 66 mustang. Truth be told, there a lot of cars that I don't care to see at shows, like rat rods, ugly customs, and mopars so I just walk past them.....I don't complain about them and I certainly won't let someone elses choice of transportation ruin my good time.

18. lucky ink

lucky ink

Late model cars have ruined a lot cruize ins in the past couple come then more and more ... hell if i drive my dodge dakota to cruise in to hang with friends i park at far end of the lot embarrassed lol... hot rodders can't have shit anymore

19. Jibs

Jibs

Haven't been to a Greedy-Guys event in years, so it doesn't bother me.

20. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

well, I guess GG can do whatever they want - if they gave a crap about what "traditional" rodders think, someone from GG would doubtless get on here and solicit some input. As long as they are SEGREGATED.....then I don't have a problem. Thought that GG was a "rod and custom association". Putting 22" blingsters on your Scion does not a custom make, and it sure isn't a hot rod. I do think that they need to make sure that there are restrictions on (as in "NOT ANY") sound system demonstrations...even by accident. At a Henry's Haulers get-together many years ago in the Pacific Northwest, a bunch of them little 'furrin' cars were let in, and then the dueling sound systems started. Much to the event management's credit, those dehorns were shut down immediately and were invited to depart to twinkier pastures. All may be 'car guys', but there's a definite culture/age gap between what we do and what "they" do. Really doesn't hurt to visit with "them", but the original thrust of the GG meets should have pre-eminence over just a desire for increased participants. If Gary Meadors is getting strapped for cash, I'd rather see him cut back on stuff, rather than open it up to anything that rolls on two to four wheels. What's next? Those stupid trikes that think they're motorcycles? Or a section for mopeds? If he's wondering why attendance is down, maybe the liberal criteria for entry would give him/them a hint. I like Gary a lot, and he's certainly done a bang-up job of organizing and producing some of the best hot rod/custom get-togethers ever. I'd personally like to see them start a separate group for the cars that don't fit the generally accepted definition of rod or custom. The 72 cutoff is acceptable. Anything beyond that just doesn't have any appeal.

I've used enough ink on this.

dj

21. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

THATS RIGHT!!!!!....lets all stop going to Goodguys and NSRA.......Fellow Car Guys, do what you want to do, but I AIN'T GONNA LET A FEW stop me from going and doing what I want........we stop going and next thing we know there's no place to go cause a few POWTED UP and took there ball and went home......I GUESS IT'S BECAUSE I'M FROM THE SOUTH....I AIN'T GOING NOWHERE....I remember in the Bible where a man named Shama took the jawbone of an ass and killed a thousand just to protect his pea patch.........YA'LL CRYBABIES TUCK TAIL AND RUN....I AINT!

22. Next they will extend the shows two more days and have "Tuner Tuesdays" :eek::eek::eek:

23. RichG

RichG

DARN RIGHT! GREEDY CAPITALIST! RIOT! GRAB A MAGIC MARKER AND MAKE A SIGN! STAND ON A STREET CORNER AND PROTEST!

It's business, and if allowing late models in on Sunday (the last day) exposes those cookie cutter owners to early model stuff, then what's the harm? You want to preserve the traditional hot rod? How are you going to do that without getting ANY car people in there, regardless of their persuasion?

This "money hungry" stuff cracks me up, like Goodguys employees are riding around in gold plated cars with toilets built into their seats, wiping their butts with the dollar bills they collect at the gate to their events... how dare they keep something alive by making money at it!:rolleyes:

24. RichG

RichG

You need to switch to decaf partner.

25. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Don't get me wrong....I don't like the new cars either, I'm not going to let them run me off and just give them the event......I'm a pre-48 guy myself, but I also have a slammed '64 Galaxie Convertible I like to ride my family in too.....I like looking at car up to '71....to me cars basically stopped being muscle or hot rod material after that.....doesn't mean i don't like to drive my wifes DTS with ac seats from time to time...............I didn't mean to sound so harsh, but I really, really ain't gonna stop going cause a few cars I don't like are showing up.

26. afaulk

afaulk

JEEZZUS so much bitching---- Q. Did they stop allowing pre 64 cars? A. No

27. eddie1

eddie1

I for one have no problem with the late models coming in on Sundays. Sundays are not as well attended anyway.

Goodguys is indeed a business & just like any other business in the world the idea is to make money. If bringing in more revenue from the late model crowd helps to keep the show affordable for the rest of us I am all for it.

I can walk past what I do not want to look at just like I do now at any Goodguys event, local cruise, local indoor car show, or even in the Home Depot parking lot.

28. richie rebel

richie rebel

oh here we go

29. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Their all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ get use to it.

30. Its just a sign of the times I think. I am sure that whoever's idea it is thinks that it is progress. Maybe it is, some of us I am sure will go the way of the dinosaur.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.