Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 Caddy Roof on a Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dayzedandkonfuzed, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Dayzedandkonfuzed

Dayzedandkonfuzed

So I've decided the roof on my Belair is off a '53 Caddy. Can anyone tell me if the 'cab' (for lack of a better word,) where the bottom of the windshield meets the car, would be the same shape on both cars? I guess what i'm asking is should i be cutting a caddy windshield instead of a chevy one?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. terryble

terryble
    from canada

I think we need more detail or better pictures or something I just know we need more!

3. r8odecay

r8odecay

I'm not seeing that Chevy roof as a Caddy roof,...just not seeing any resemblance. What makes you think a Cad roof was grafted on? What am I missing here...

4. mlagusis

mlagusis

I think you might be using a lexan windshield. I think I saw another thread of your car that had some close up pics of the roof...I could be wrong. It is hard to tell what you can and can't do with out being there when the roof was choped.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, need much better pics & info - you likely need to make some type of mock up windshield before proceeding any further - can't just buy & cut stuff, gets expensive.

6. Dayzedandkonfuzed

Dayzedandkonfuzed

those are just pictures i got from google of a stock 53 caddy and a stock 53 chevy. the car im working on is in my avatar, heres a better pic:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like a stock hardtop roof to me..

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Pic is almost too dark to see anything to make a real determination...however, it looks like a stock '53/'54 Chevy (altho severely chopped) hardtop roof to me...NOT a Cadillac.

R-

9. alchemy

alchemy

Make the pics darker next time.

10. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

and blurrier. they're too sharp right now.

Looks like a seriously chopped hardtop roof to me. what are you trying to accomplish?

11. That's just a chebby roof, get a chebby windshield.

12. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

and blurrier. they're too sharp right now.

Looks like a seriously chopped hardtop roof to me. what are you trying to accomplish?

13. Dayzedandkonfuzed

Dayzedandkonfuzed

Look close at the upper corners of the stainless trim, you'll see that the cadillac covers the whole pillar whereas the chevy only has about a half inch of trim and the pillar is painted. The top of the a pillar steps up to the roofline at the top on the caddy, the chevy roofline stretches down the entire pillar

This is hard to explain, please bare with me, but i'm 100% sure this is a caddy roof.

14. Dayzedandkonfuzed

Dayzedandkonfuzed

also note how the roofline joins the driprail on the side window on my car as well as the caddy, and the blue chevy's wraps down the side of the windshield

15. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

give us a little better/clearer/closer pic of the points you are mentioning. the pics you have posted are nearly impossible to see the upper windshield corners , drip rails, and the rear of the roof, It does look like a hardtop roof, but with those pics that is all anyone, or at least my eyes, can see.

16. The blue car is a post car. The hard top drip rail doesn't wrap down the A pillar.

Pretty crappy picture but you get the point.

Do a google search of 1953 belair 2 door hard top and you will find a ton of better pics just none I could capture for you.

Attached Files:

17. henry29

henry29

You're comparing your hardtop to a sedan, two completely different roofs.

Look at a pic of a two door hardtop.

18. henry29

henry29

Oops, type to slow.

19. Sauli

Sauli

20. Sauli

Sauli

What he said, LOL.

21. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

I'm what his name is????

22. mlagusis

mlagusis

2 door hard top chevy roof. The 53-54 chevy has the c pillar sloped. Cad does not

23. roddinron

roddinron

You're working on a hardtop, not a sedan. You really are Dayzedandkonfuzed aren't you?:D

24. Dayzedandkonfuzed

Dayzedandkonfuzed

i had no idea the sedan roof would be any different at the a-pillar but i see what you mean. heres some pics, and you'll see by the third one why im worried about what roof it is. Theres a good chance i guess that the chevy hard top windshield is the same as the caddy windshield?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. The caddy is a wider car.

26. Dayzedandkonfuzed

Dayzedandkonfuzed

Exactly why the guy that built this car wanted to go with the caddy roof. Whether he did or not is what i'm trying to figure out. Obviously with a 6" chop the roof would have to be longer and wider, as expressed by whats written on my roof.

Judging by the pic you posted this could very well be a chevy roof, i just know its not the original roof off this specific car.

27. If anything, that extra sheet of metal laying on top miiiigggght be from a 53 Caddy to reskin the top where it has been stretched down the middle during the chop. Rest looks pretty much like standard issue 53 chevy hardtop to me.

28. Dayzedandkonfuzed

Dayzedandkonfuzed

Well i have found a picture of this roof skin being the complete roof on the car, leading me to believe it is from the original roof. I'll see if i can track that pic down

29. Dayzedandkonfuzed

Dayzedandkonfuzed

30. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Looks almost like it was to be a "convert/Carson" type top...I think I'd be more worried about what rear "glass" you're going to use...or getting the front posts to line up so that you're able to put glass in it...

R-