Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ford Thunderbolts Photos Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Troublemaker427, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Here are a couple more photos of Grubby Jack Bochler, they may of been previously posted, but figured they'd compliment the other picture. Both of these pictures were in the same magazine. Looks like same track, whether they are the same car or not, time to start studying and comparing.

Regards,
    Dennis

Attached Files:

2. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

It's just a single pic a person has in a family collection who lived in the Chicago area. The photo is labeled Grubby Jack's T-Bolt.

New pics are few and far between for me so I was glad to see it even if it's not the greatest.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  3. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

All I can say is, if there are only 45 actual remnant examples of DST specialty constructed Fairlanes left known to exist, those remnants, even artifact parts, should be worth MEGA bucks, and not cheapened on EBay.
    If the Bob Ford car is the closest living example of original Thunderbolt stock to judge others by, then that vehicle should be safetly archived and exhibited only as reference and never see potential risk for damage or loss. The value of that car should for all practical purposes, barring some unknown reason requiring a mandatory transfer to a new owner, should be considered priceless, with royalties from reproduction clone copies made to the copy right.
    In a nutshell: All you guys possessing original DST stuff are allowing the public to devalue your property. Tom S. in Tn.

4. 64 Thunderbolt

64 Thunderbolt

Chicago, Ill. I believe that is was driven by Bob Balderson & Owned by Jack Bochler.

5. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

It was posted for sale before for $118,500.00. Now listed for nearly half...I'll bet that car wouldn't fetch much at auction, probably less than what it cost to build. It is very nice but I wouldn't want a tribute car of a car that still exists.

6. 64 Thunderbolt

64 Thunderbolt

Sorry for the wrong info here guys. I didn't pay attention that you'll had posted. I had it pulled up for a while before I did my post.

7. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I have a file of T-Bolt pics labeled "unknown". When I've tried to link them to other known pics I look at things like window sticker placement, wheels, existing lettering and which frt bumper they have. Dennis do you know how common frt bumper swaps were? Did very many cars switch bumpers later on for other classes?

8. 64 Thunderbolt

64 Thunderbolt

Thanks for asking this question. I've seen restorations done & they don't have the correct fiberglass bumper on them so I've wanted to know this as well?

9. If I had the disposable income (and could lie to the boss about the cost of the car to her), I'd have no problem spending $45-65K on a clone, but I don't like to see cars lettered up like cars that are still around unless the person asked permission.

10. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Anyone have info on this Thunderbolt? I cannot remember where I came across the picture. From the shoe polish on the window it has an automatic. The dragstrip looks to be Union Grove so the car may be from the Chicago area.

[​IMG]

11. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Rocker panel cover plate? Please explain as I am not understanding what you mean.

12. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

If you mean between fiberglass and aluminum, I guess by default a majority of the first 50 cars, since they were delivered with a glass front bumper. Many ran the glass bumper in FX since it was lighter and no bumper brackets were required. Tasca's was sold in 1965 with a glass bumper, Milo Coleman. Archway Ford, I'm sure there were others that switched back and forth.

Re last 50 cars, Steve Honnell said he received a glass bumper and ran it when allowed. The Winkler car later on had a glass bumper with it, but that might of had to do with being in an accident.

Regards,
    Dennis

13. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

A production Fairlane had a cover plate welded to the front of the rocker panel to keep contamination out. These cover plates were deleted on the DSO cars. See photo.

Just one way of many to tell a real car.

Regards,
    Dennis

Attached Files:

14. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Taking a guess, I think this is the Southside Ford car. This is a John Pirolo-C photo. There is also a photo of the Hawkinson Ford car that I believe was taken on the same day by John. Both cars were delivered within a day of each other. The Hawkinson automatic car wasn't delivered until mid May, plus the tow tabs look different. With no leaves on the trees, this was perhaps earlier. The Holmes Ford car (Des Plaines) was a stick and was already lettered before Feb. Again, just a guess.

Regards,
    Dennis

15. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

I disagree with you on this, Tom. A documented original car will always have substantial value no matter how many copies are made. An extensively restored original will (should) have somewhat less value. A clone will be worth the value of it's parts and the quality of the work, period. A 460 powered clone wouldn't be worth anywhere near what that Bob Ford clone is worth.

Let's face it, if a person is smart enough to accumulate $200 to $500k in disposable mad money to buy an original 'Bolt and doesn't do the research on them, that's their problem.

Kevin

16. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

[ Tom if you own a Original Factory Race Car that ran out of a Dealership or Company I see your problem, if not don't worry about it unless buying an Original Factory Race Car!
    If the car was run and lettered by a company ( Dealership ) that makes it original as they had it in the day they ran the car! They lettered the car for the business name Inc. with there business copyrighted. All the clones, recreations, tribute, look a likes, copy's or what ever name you call them are fine as long as you get a release letter and signed by the business. It's like painting the side of your van with SEARS SERVICE and you have nothing to do with SEARS at all! Just try an get a release from them. Good Luck!
    When buy these factory Thunderbolts, AFX or BFX Comets or what ever car it is check the VIN or Titles for correctness [ It's a federal offense to change the VIN on any car or truck ]. ~~~~~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~~~~~

17. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

From the file of unknowns....any ideas?

Attached Files:

18. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Going across and down, jpg:

1 - Not a "back in the day" photo, a clone car.
    2 - former Courtesy Ford - Rick Hearn car
    3 - Unknown - been trying to figure that one out
    4 - Jim Skinner Ford - John Donilson
    5 - former Courtesy Ford - Marv Youngman
    6 - former Frank Vego Ford - Norris Swaim
    7 - former King Ford car

Regards,
    Dennis

19. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I wasn't sure on that first pic. It looked like old news print but I sits too low. Thanks Dennis. Did you ever figure out Satans Angel, Texas Thunderbolt or the one with Foreign Car Service on the quarter?

20. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Attached Files:

21. taglioni

taglioni
    from WA state

Dennis....

Does that mean that a Bolt that has cover plates in NOT a real Bolt or is it possible that someone restored it incorrectly, not knowing that the paltes weren't supposed to be there.
    Were the factory plates (on the non-T-Bolt cars) welded all the way around or just on the bottom with screws or bolts on the top??
    Thanks,
    Jc

22. taglioni

taglioni
    from WA state

Dennis....

Does that mean that a Bolt that has cover plates is NOT a real Bolt or is it possible that someone restored it incorrectly, not knowing that the plates weren't supposed to be there.
    Were the factory plates (on the non-T-Bolt cars) welded all the way around or just on the bottom with screws or bolts on the top??
    Thanks,
    Jc

23. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I'm not 100% sure about the story I was given now. It sure looks like it had an aluminium frt bumper in the attached pic. Was also advised it may be the Hi-Risers car.

Attached Files:

• 70.jpg
      70.jpg
      File size:
      50.3 KB
      Views:
  24. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Satan's Angel is the former King Ford car.

Texas Thunderbolt is still unknown.

Foreign Car Service is the Vego Ford car. This car was owned by Don Fong of Atlanta, Foreign Car Service was a business owned by Fong, and Norris Swaim was a mechanic who worked for Fong that drove and wrenched the T-Bolt. Mystery solved.

Regards,
    Dennis

25. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

I still have the orignal tow bar from the Bob Ford car. I wonder how many Thunderbolt still have the tow bar with their car? Not all T-Bolts received one. It was an option with the car, probably the only option, other than stick or automatic.

Regards,
    Dennis

26. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

The first eleven Burgundy T-Bolts were constructed from running production 289 HiPo cars and therefore would have the filler (cover) plates.

Difficult to believe that during the restoration of a Wimbeldon White DSO car someone would install the plates.

The plates were fastened with a combination of both resistance spot and arc welding.

Regards,
    Dennis

27. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Thanks again...I'm really getting my "unknown" file thinned down. I was looking at pictures last night and thinking the black Thunderbolt named "Armegeddon" may be the Rick Hearn car back when it was still racing with the narrowed rear end after it was white.

[​IMG]

??? I thought the wheels were the same but just noticed the white car has Cragars and the black one has Centerlines. Maybe the black one was a clone for S/S??

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  28. BGBLOK

BGBLOK
    from Australia

My old 63 in Australia, 460 auto
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

29. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Any chance that you could post a pic of it sometime? I installed the tow brackets on mine this summer and was really digging the way they look on the car........until....a guy walks up to me at Indy and asks about them. He wanted to know what they were for, did I have some kind of snow plow that attached to them!!!!:eek: I guess they kind of do look like snow blade brackets but it still hurt a little bit.:p

30. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I ran across a picture already posted here that shows a tow bar of some sort.

[​IMG]