Register now to get rid of these ads!

GMC 302 Copper Head Gasket ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Candy-Man, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Any advise out there regarding who to call for a GMC (Jimmy) 302, In-Line six cylinder, Copper Head Gasket ?

I have just received two head gaskets, the manufacture will remain nameless for now, however; each cylinder is a different size !!! I am waiting for a reply back from the manufacuter.....

2. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

I could use a couple of those also for a 302 GMC !:)

3. Normbc9

Normbc9

Try Tom Langdon at www.stoveboltengineco.com He either has them in stock or will point you in the right direction. Tom is an old 302 hand.
    Normbc9

4. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Were you planning on O-ringing the block?

5. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Try Flatout Gaskets here in Illinios. They do custom work as well as off the shelf stuff. Sure they can help you.

6. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Langdon was not too helpful and I am waiting for a response back from Flat-Out Gaskets.

I was hoping there was a company who already had the CAD design for this gasket.....

Thanks to all who have responded !

7. I had gaskets made by COMETIC both copper and MLS and they were exactly what I wanted.

8. Heard nothing but good things about Cometic

9. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Yep, I use Cometic gaskets in my drag car and they are perfect, however; they are not offering a head gasket for the Jimmy. I certainly wish they were !!!

10. mine were custom nothing they had in stock or were listed took about six weeks easy to deal with.

11. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Hello : Was this through Cometic Gaskets ? Copper or stainless steel ?

12. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Candy, I just returned tour PM.

I ordered the FlatCad gaskets from the Flatout Group: https://www.flatoutgroup.com/default.aspx

Here is the guy I dealt with-

Mark J. Adelizzi
    Flatout Gaskets & Fabrications
    668 Tower Rd.
    Mundelein, IL. 60060
    (847) 837-9200 P
    [email protected]

If they don't have your gasket, you can send a stock gasket, and tell them what changes you need. We had about a week turn around both times.

13. yes it was cometic gaskets one set was copper and six sets were stainless multi-layer, I got them through dover corp(je/wiseco)in To phone #1-519-537-6203 ask to speak to Adam

14. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Thx Buddy (38FLATTIE) : I just responded to your PM...

jeff/21 : I am a dealer for Cometic products and they are telling me they do not produce a Jimmy stainless gasket (I certainly wish they did !!), however; they will design a copper head gasket if you send them a gasket / CAD design ...... If you do have MLS 302 Jimmy head gasket, I would love the part # / order # if you could !!!!

Again thx for all you help guys !

15. Candy, does Cometic offer a 261 Chevy gasket?

16. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

In MLS (Multi Layer Stainless), copper, or a composition gasket ?

17. Truckedup

Truckedup

MLS or composition would be real nice.....I suppose if they don't do a GMC,then they don't do the 261 Chevy?

18. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Their mls gasket is layers of steel. A stamped imprinted top and bottom, then shim flat layers sandwiched in between. All layers riveted together. Material is very hard to work, like if you had to enlarge cooling holes. We run these all the time on a bbc nitrous motor, they work better than copper, unless we O ring the block and heads. By varying the number of shim layers, you can change compression. Having said that, Id still talk to flatout. Really nice to work with, and they do custom stuff all the time, reasonably priced for what it is. Good luck.

19. mine were not for a 302 had to send them a drawing of what I wanted it came out exactly to what I had ordered have also used there standard mls gaskets no problems

20. Would prefer copper?

21. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Copper would not be a problem, you would have to send them a CAD design /or gasket to copy....

22. I will pass that on to Tom. Thanks.

We are making progress, other than the engine issues how is your tank coming?

23. fortynut

fortynut

Interesting. I was thinking of using a copper gasket on my 302 Jimmy Street Motored '48 Ford Coupe. The only one I've ever seen was being used by Doug Robinson @ HORSEPOWER ENGINEERING. Maybe some of the Miler's could ask him where he obtained it. If anyone finds a source PLEASE post.

24. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Well I have a source, however; I am waiting for a reply back from the company, as the gasket I recieved has differrent bore sizes..... Ummmmm....

If they respond in the approperiate manner, then I will post the link to their company...

I would rather not pay another company more $ for a CAD design, etc.......

25. fortynut

fortynut

My idea was to make my own. Someone asked about the bore center lines on another of the 302 threads. Dead copper is easily cut with a small chisel, or nibbler. The bores could easily be scribed in Prussian Blue with a pair of dividers. A rotary file to sneak up on the bores, and other files to bring things to a finer degree of accuracy. Punches for leather working and/or gasket making to create the other holes for studs, water, etc. Copper can be made dead again by the application of heat and quenched with liquid. Or, am I off course here? Clockwork accuracy can be achieved with hand tools and slow and tedious craftsmanship.

26. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

Candy-Man Did you try Kanter auto parts GMC .com ? They have complete rebuilds kits for a 302 .might have what you are looking for....

27. Liberty Garage

Liberty Garage

Try Copper Gaskets Unlimited in Arizona 623-561-8399,www.coppergaskets.us
    I have him make 4 cylinder Model B ford gaskets for my Bonneville engine. Dead soft copper any thickness, cnc machined. I still anneal the gaskets when I get them at the local heat treaters.

28. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Nothing bigger than 4.140

Thanks however.....

29. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

I'll give them a call.... Thx...