Register now to get rid of these ads!

want car to be louder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by box50, Oct 15, 2011.

1. box50

box50

I want my old flathead to have a better sound right now It's got to glass packs if I cut them out and just run straight pipes will it hurt or help the way the car runs. Thank's for any info Ya'll give:D

2. Making it louder will probably attract more attention from the wrong people,,,and they pass out unfavorable citations with glee:rolleyes: HRP

3. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Loud pipes save lives!

4. kustomcar53

kustomcar53

5. I just removed my way too loud mufflers from my '28 Hiboy. They were waaay too LOUD.
    Polished stainless steel chambered pipes bought recently from Stainless Steel Specialties.
    I drove it (spareingly) for about 3 weeks. Motor cycle loud and then some.
    They are 24" long and 2.25 in and out.
    They look beautiful...............but ohh what a rumble.
    I've got 24" Porters on it now. Beautiful tone and I can hear my radio once again.

6. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

Buy a hearing aid.

7. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

22 body-30 overall Brockman Mellotones with 2" pipes on my 51 Chevy with a mild 350....very nice deep mellow tone but when put your foot into it it's all business!!!

8. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

not to be flamed but on my viper i have dynomax bullet mufflers (they sound butter than the $2000 corsa setup) ...they are great similar to a cherry bomb but a little deeper and raspier in tone....i'm building a 51 flathead now and the dynomax bullets will be attached and they are only around 45 bucks a piece

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

No, it won't 'hurt' the car, and will boost performance noticeably. (flatheads are notorious for back pressure; from the exhaust valves out, then thru restrictive exhaust manifolds, then the mufflers...when replacing manifolds with headers and a dual system, performance increase is obvious.

Footnote: If you remove the intake manifold and plug the heat risers with pennies, the pipes will "rap-out" louder. (old California trick, about 1949)
    But the downside: When engine is cold, it will take longer to 'warm up', as the intake remains colder longer.

10. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

thats a cool trick!

11. If that's not enough, maybe run them into the interior?

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

not really... :rolleyes:

Personally I don't understand the infatuation with everything being super loud especially on the street. I like a good tone better. Even most race bodies have sound levels now.

13. I put straight dual exhaust on my Shoebox when I swapped in the rebuilt flathead and T5. It sounded to "boatish" at idle, kinda hollow and gargley (is that a word?). So I got the shortest Cherry Bomb I could and cut it in half and made two mufflers out of it, there about 12" long each. Just enough muffler to take the pop and gargle out of it.

14. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

So your neighbors hate you? Lol

15. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Open flatties sound tough! Most aren't that loud anyhow. BLAKE!'s sounds like a bad ass tractor!

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

^^Nothing cooler than a car that sounds like a tractor. Now THATS bad-ass!

17. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Not sure what you did but your car sounded great when you left shop night last week.

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you want a loud car? I'll trade you the mufflers off my motorhome for some of those boring quiet ones.. they got big holes in them from old age and it sounds like shit.

19. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

Is that bad for it? I mean that will it build more pressure in the summer, etc? Also, what is rap-out?

20. rover

rover
    from pomona

If its too loud, you're to old!

21. I'm puttin a 2 cylinder John Deer in my stude. The only problem I am having is that the flywheels are going to stick through the hood. :eek:

Leme hear if from the tracktor crowd, POP POP POP. Yea baby. ;)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  22. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

:confused::confused::confused:How fast will you go? But I love the sound, one of the best sounds next to a flathead.:cool:

23. CHERRYBOMB EXHAUST

CHERRYBOMB EXHAUST
    from LOUDON, TN

CHERRY BOMB offers glass packs from 12" to 30-1/2" overall length and they are available from SUMMIT and JEGS. 33 DIFFERENT CONFIGURATIONS IN ALL! Check them out at CHERRYBOMB.com. The shorter the louder, but to answer your question, no it will not hurt your Flattie to run it straight piped.