Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moe, from an old trucker who enjoys collecting photos of old trucks I must say, you really outdid yourself with these latest postings. Especially with the Internationals working on the Hoover Damn. I couldn't get enough of them. Thank you brother for all your contributions and to all others that contribute also. Kudos.

2. Moefuzz, thanks for all the great pics of IH Trucks. Are you sure this is an IH though, sure looks like a 1929-30 Chevrolet.;) Not that it really matters though, since they are all great pics.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  3. moefuzz

moefuzz

You may be right, it is missing the 'International' Hood side emblem.

The pic originally come form the International archives but there's no guarantee
    as to it's make,

Here's the data I have on it,

[​IMG]

""RKO Greater Show Season" promotional truck with calliope and signs advertising Raquel Torres in Fanchon and Marco's "Malibu Beach" and Jack Holt and Ralph Graves in "War Correspondent" at the RKO Orpheum Theater."

The info doesn't actually indicate that it is or isn't _________, I'll revise the post.

Thanks for the note....

---------------------------------------

For what it's worth I found other makes and models mixed in with the lot like this Winther:

[​IMG]

A truck with a posthole digger mounted on back on the side of the road, manufactured by Winther Motor and Truck Company Kennosha Wisc..

Martin P. Winther incorporated Winther Motor and Truck Company in December 1916, initially manufacturing a rear-drive Winther truck. Shortly after, the factory manufactured the 4-wheel-drive Winther-Marwin truck, and the Winther passenger car 1920-23. The truck cabs were open and fitted with low doors. Initial capacities were 2,3,4 and 6 tons and were priced from $2,750 to $4,600. Later vehicles extended the line and included trucks in the 1 to 7 ton range. As early as 1919 the company claimed that the Winthers vehicles were the dominating truck in the U.S. Navy. The smaller (1-2 ton) trucks were aimed at the agricultural market, while the heavier models were intended for use in the logging, fire fighting, and snowplowing industries. The latter made early use of rotary plows; one of the largest used two engines, the rear one over the rear axle to drive the truck and the front one for the plow, with the fully-enclosed cab between. In the 1920s, electric starters were added to most vehicles. In 1926, the company produced five vehicle styles ranging from 1 1/2 to 5/7 tons. In its last year the products were renamed Winther-Kenosha, and in the summer of 1927 the plant was sold to H.P. Olsen. Original image number 182-A

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  4. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

5. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

and this Ford snuck in there, but I don't mind it's a great image!

[​IMG]

6. John T Conover

John T Conover
    from US

Brazilian Fords, here and here.

7. John F

John F

Looks like the old way of doing a load test :rolleyes:

8. Brimen

Brimen
    from Norway

[​IMG]

Norwegian "bikers" in the sixties !!!

:eek::eek::eek:

9. It would make you think twice about driving under an overpass if you weren't sure that you had a couple extra inches of clearance! :eek:

10. jalopy45

jalopy45

Medford Oregon early 60's an extra foot on scale to change classes., [​IMG]

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

BTW, the car behind the loco is called a tender (has water and fuel) not a coal car. Gary

12. automaticslim

automaticslim
    from new jersey

Very nice series of International Truck history, moefuzz. Cool pics give a nice little insight into what life was like back in the day.

13. blackprimer

blackprimer
    BANNED
    from Reality

www.instantrimshot.com

14. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]
    I liked that Winther truck!

[​IMG]

15. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]
    Winther snowblower

[​IMG]
    1917 Napoleon

16. swi66

swi66

17. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Enough to make a grown man cry.

18. That driver is none other than Duane Carter who had quite a career in speedway racing and Indy cars.

19. pipopak

pipopak
    BANNED
    from florida

Should be a car somewhere, right?

20. interstatemaster

interstatemaster

33238 looks like a Cadillac to me.

21. Awesome links...thanks! It's been a LONG time since I last spoke Portuguese (1980-82) but if I fingered it out right, it seems like there is some debate whether these where prototypes or actual production models, but one of the people commenting indicates that they worked on one in the '80s and another says that a famous Brazilian singer had one in the mid '60s.

I really dig the suicide doors on this one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the covered bed on these just kicks...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. pool

pool

Damn Toad, did you tade the vespa for that?

23. This is a classy ride.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  24. OK, once again, why can't I see some of the pics?

25. Your magic decoder ring on the blink ?? :confused:

But for real, the site has been a little slow for me, don't know whether it is on my end or on the other end.

26. WCD

WCD

Indeed! When was the last time you saw a set of tall Hillborns mounted atop a motor that was designed for road racing.

27. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Having the foot on the scale reminds me of an incident prior to the U.S. Nationals in the late 80s or so. This was on Tuesday, as cars were being parked, and a friend of mine from Illinois took his land yacht sized Stock Eliminator Buick over to the scales to check the weight. We left the electronic scales on so guys could do this easily and see the readout.

I pulled my golf cart up behind him, put the front wheels on the scale, and then leaned way over so he couldn't see me.

Naturally, he couldn't believe the weight, and got out of the car to check the scale before he saw me and the cart.

28. WCD

WCD

Thats Ed Pink in the middle, aiding and abetting in the swapping of a Chrysler hemi in that coupe.

29. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats funny IndybigJohn!!
    Also reminds me of the ol' butcher behind the meat counter pressing down with index finger to show more weight!---Not many were caught either!

30. swi66

swi66

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.