Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do you "build your hot rod" or "buy and drive"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clips221, Nov 6, 2011.

1. clips221

clips221

As I was under my 54 Ford Coupe getting ready to pull the engine and trans, scraping the 57 year old grease and grime, soaking bolts with penetrating oil, the thought went through my head "i wonder what it'd be like to buy a hot rod and just be able to get in it, turn the key and drive the hell outta it.
    It took us 5 years to restore my 68 Camaro, been working on a 37 Ford pickup for over a year and got along way to go.
    I enjoy piddling but sometimes i feel like I'm working too much and not playin enough.

2. man i feel your pain.
    i think no matter how much money i can have im just to cheap to use it on a built car. but that would be nice.
    just drive it home , use it right away, and not spend all the hours.

maybe one day ill try it.
    BALI

3. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

To me it's about the build and learning new things along the way! That first turn of the key of a homemade and handbuilt car is much more exciting...it's worth the wait to me.imo

4. Anyone (with money) can go out and just buy a car. I've ask simple questions to guys at shows about their car that they could not answer because they didn't build it. It may take time to build your dream car but when it's done you know what it took to do it. I could have bought cars for less than I have in my 33 Chevy but when I finally get to drive it, it'll be worth it.

5. andyg

andyg

I like to buy them running and then break down to a million pieces and spend a ton of time onoverunder 'em while everyone else is out cruisin'!!! How 'bout that!

6. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I never bought a turn key car and really can't imagine why I would except maybe to flip it to make some bucks to buy more parts. Heck buying a running car would take most of the fun out of it along with the satisfaction of knowing that it was built with these two hands. I would be hate to have to put my life in the hands of another builder unless I knew his reputation. Hell, I'd probably take it apart and put it back together.

7. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

"It's not about the destination, it's all about the journey". That's what I keep tellin myself, anyway.

8. Mike Rotch

Mike Rotch
    from Easley SC

The only vehicles I've ever bought/traded that were drivable, I disassembled them that night and used 'em for parts :)

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'll try and make this short. Ever since I saw AG, I wanted a hot rod. Saw an ad in Hot Rod magazine that had a T Bucket and vowed to have one. Dreamed about having one for about 30+ years. Took me roughly 2 years and eating hot dogs for lunch and dinner to finish it.

Then the magic day came and I took it for it's first legal drive, parked it and just sat there looking at it. Something was missing. It turned out to be the build... the journey. The journey that is comprised of looking for parts, buying the wrong part, putting a part on wrong and having to start all over, ridicule from family for trying the impossible, scrapping knuckles and falling asleep in the garage.

If I had a shit load of money, I'd still do as much of the build as I could.

10. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

I have build a few customs and it's great feeling when Im done.But my last car was paid for and I had someone else do the work to me it was a good just to get in and turn the key

11. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

I traded a almost perfect 68 400 Firebird for my 55 210 ( total basket case) . The planning, buying the parts and putting the body back together and then the rest of the car , to me was as much fun as driving it. When you build it, you know every single inch of the car and exactly how it was done and if you did it right, there shouldn't be any suprises like you can get if you just buy a done car.

12. what is this "buy and drive" you speak of?

13. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

I traded once for a "turn-key" car, it was never "mine" to me.

14. D-man313

D-man313

Even if i had all the money in the world, i dont think i would buy one thats already done. I enjoy the time in the garage, at swap meets, and fun/aggravation of finding parts and working. The first turn of the the key and first ride around the block was the greatest feeling in the world. When someone asks me questions about my truck/ who built it. I proudly say i built it and answer their question.

15. RAY With

RAY With

I have done both build and buy. Usually the ones I buy wind up in my shop for a tear down and frame off look see. My preference is to build but as age starts to take it's toll I dont think I want to tackle another major build but I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

16. alicia-dusty

alicia-dusty

At 62 yrs old and after 30 yrs. in a factory, 15 building Case dozers/loaders, 15 in a combine plant, my knees are bad, back is weak and I don't have the confidense I used to have. I'm afraid of not doing things "right". I had the driveline installed and the rusted floor fixed. Two different guys.

17. Motornoggin1

Motornoggin1

Part of the whole enjoyment is the process. Yeah, it's a huge pain sometimes, but that's how you "bond" with a project.

If I had a boatload of cash, I wouldn't buy a rod, I'de buy a new fast car and drive it while building a rod, in a huge shop, loaded with tools and equipment... :)

18. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I think you might buy a runner for half the money it takes to build one,but most of the runners I have seen for sale ,need to be taken back to square one and rebuilt... " Never time enough to do it Right,but always enough time to do it over"

19. chop32

chop32

The only cars Ive ever bought and driven have been basic daily drivers.
    Its all in the build for me, making the car my own.
    If I ever bought a turn key hot rod, it would always be "somebody elses car" until I was able to tear it apart and make it mine.

20. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I've done both, many times. If I see a car I like that is being offered for sale, and it looks like something I would do if I had more time and more skills, I don't mind buying it as a turn-key rig. I generally wind up personalizing it as soon as it's in the garage/hangar. Usually I stick a different engine in, largely because I suck at bodywork/metalwork, but I can build an engine pretty well. And..unless the wheels/tires that came with it are particularly outstanding, I'll put on something more suitable to my tastes, maybe swap with one of the other cars, just to be different for a change. Building is good too, and I'm constantly in awe of what many of the HAMBers are capable of producing from rusty bodies and raw steel. I like engine swaps - always have and that's where my tendencies are oriented. If a car seems to need some type of body mods (chop top or something else) I will farm it out to the experts. A man has GOT to know his limitations. I'm not a VISA-rodder, I've been at it way too long to fall into that category.

21. 29moonshine

29moonshine

if you look at some of the cars for sale today i would take them apart and do them over to feel safe. so i might as well build it then i know what i am driving is safe for every one on the road.

22. I am seventy years old and knee deep in the restoration of a 1953 Buick Skylark. I realize that it will probably be my last full build. Most of the young guys puff out their chest and scream "build, don't buy". They have to realize, and they will, that you eventually run out of time. If I want to continue I will have to buy, not build.
    The thing is, no one is better than the other for buying or building.
    Quit looking down the nose at the next guy for his choice, we all have different circumstances.

23. Rogueman

Rogueman

I've heard that Question a million times. Did you build this car?

I've always wondered what that really means. I've built my own motors, Built rear ends, did my own body work, painted my cars, put in my own bushing and ball joints. I've did it all over the 59 years of my life.

In my shop I have a 32 Roadster, 30 Pickup, 50 chevy. All of them I bought running and driving, but nobody touches them but me. I enjoy changing them to fit my likes.

I have a 37 Chevy in the back of my shop that I have had since 1981. Just got the body back on the frame that have rebuilt.

So when I drive up in my Roadster and some stranger ask me that same stupid question. Did you build this car and I say No. What does that really tell him about me?

24. I appreciate the self-built hot rod more vs. the overpriced turnkey hotrod.
    If I had money to blow and the in-ability to self perform all the work, then I would buy one today and drive it today. I'll stick to look what I did!

25. i probaly would never feel like it is really mine.

26. 55delray

55delray
    from Florida

I've always wanted to to buy and drive, but never can find that deal. Everytime I see something that looks good, closer inspection reveals it needs to be pulled down and fixed, and the owner thinks its worth blue ribbon dollars.

27. 1932roadster

1932roadster

I have built a few Hot Rods for friends and a few Classic Muscle Cars and Trucks for myself over the years. I have a few projects left in me for myself. I just sold an almost finished '66 Chevy to build my '32 Chevy BB Truck. This will be my new shop truck when finished. Once the Truck is finished I will start on my '32 Chevy Roadster.

I enjoy the design, fabrication and build most of all!

28. There are very few individuals who can or will see a project all the way thru.
    Some are great at dis assembly, and there it stays - a basket case to prove it.
    Some are great at rough work and even have several in that state to prove it.
    Some are great at the final details only and have a well polished turd to prove it. Theses are the ones that need to be torn apart.
    Some are great at finding deals and can flip or trade for parts or profits.
    Some guys have money and buy what they want.
    Some guys have money and build what they want.
    Some guys have money and hire who they want.

Generally you can buy a ride for much less than it takes to build it. Someone is lopsided on the deal. So unless you are one of the very few who can see it all the way thru, it actually makes more sense to buy it done.

The completion is the make/break part of it. It is the most rewarding or the most stressful.

29. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

It's all about the build.. To me, anyway......

30. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

If you buy it, you will miss out on... not in any special order: Swap meets, bench racin, catalog's wish list, crawling in grease, cuts, bruises, burns, shit in your eyes, shit in your ears, hair on fire, clothes on fire, pile of rags on fire, the taste of brake fluid, smoke inhalation, grinding dust inhalation, cussing, beer drinkin....I could go on with all these special moments that I wouldn't trade for the world. All of the bad memories go away on your first drive and thumbs up. :D :D :D