Register now to get rid of these ads!

tribute build to my deceased son, his 1948 dodge truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skull, Jul 19, 2011.

1. love it -nice build !!!

2. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

God bless you my man..
    A wonderful tribute to your son. What a great job you are doing on it too....
    And my sympathies to you and your family.
    Bob

3. LogisticsJoe

LogisticsJoe
    from California

I am sorry for your loss but I am sure your boy is proud that his truck is done. God bless.

4. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Prayers to you that you'll continue to find comfort in this world. God bless you, Ratster and everyone who's had to be where you've been.

That is a cool truck. Keep it forever.

5. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Great tribute,
    I offer my condolences.
    You are a True inspiration

6. skull

skull

I entered the truck into her first official car show this last week-end.

we, my friends and I, thought we were building a hot-rod kinda like we had in our youth, low budget and cool looking.

well, I got an award, It was for "BEST R@T ROD AWARD"

Later:cool:

Attached Files:

• D2(3).JPG
      D2(3).JPG
      File size:
      196.4 KB
      Views:
    • D6.JPG
      D6.JPG
      File size:
      168 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  7. I am so very sorry for your loss.I cant even imagine what you have been though.
    I am glad you finished the truck.

8. lukey

lukey

Its touching man! Sorry for your loss, makes me realize how special it is each time a kid "helps" with my car. Really sorry for your loss. Great job on the build.

9. EPP

EPP
    from Oklahoma

I'm sorry for your lose. I hope the truck brings many years of fond memory's for you

10. Wags66

Wags66
    from Montana

Hello Skull, just got done looking through your build thread. Really like the work you have been doing. The c notch fab work looks great. You had posted the pictures of your wheelbarrow job on my 58 thread. Trully sorry to hear about your son. I have two grown boys of my own. Couldnt imagine either of them being gone. I believe your choice to move forward on the truck project is the best way to remember your good times with him. I will continue to follow your progress. Bryan.

11. n847

n847

Hey man I really dig your truck, and the story behind it...As for the trophy, I would just tape over the R word, most people just don't understand, I get it all the time, and everybody tells me I should paint the car flat black with red wheels! If they knew the difference they would call it an unfinished class, so thats how I would look at it.
    Do you suppose if they called it a best unfinished award and a Rat guy won it he would ask the same question, especailly since he had no intention of finishing it? :)

12. Great truck....and great work, doing the truck as a tribute.

As for the trophy...I'd toss it. I don't do trophies. My cars are my trophies.

13. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

LOL,nice little truck,not a big fan of early dodge truck-but damn good tribute Jimmy!
    having 5 kids --3 of our own + 2nephews that have lived us for last 7yrs,i worry so much-I'm a LITTLE OVER PROTECTIVE OF EM,{if ya ask the kids-it's A LOT!} i can not begin to understand the sorrow that you have felt,
    thank you for sharing yours & jimmy's truck build with us,as far as the R/rot awards goes-it is what it is! an award--your loving memory of your son/time spent with jimmy is the REAL award.
    if you want -find someone to grind off the r*t r@d part and engrave
    "The Jimmy award":)

14. CGkidd

CGkidd

I have seen it around didn't know the story. Sorry about your loss I know he is rididng shot gun with ya.

15. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

id keep the award , and just say its part of the trucks history , hope you are going to lay on some paint , it does look um kind of unfinished

16. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

I bet he is right there with you riding shotgun every time you drive it too. Glad you pulled it out and finished it as I am sure it helped a little with the healing process. Enjoy it like any 16 year old would, lots of cruising, burnouts, and car shows, that is my 1 cent worth, it could only help, when you have gotten all you can out of it, pass it on to one of the other kids.

17. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Somewhere there is a young guy smiling ear to ear. I bet he is very proud that his dad bounced back and got the old girl running. I am really sorry for your loss, I cannot imagine how difficult this is for you and your family.

18. belair

belair

God bless you-love the build. Keep him ridin' shotgun.

19. outlaw256

outlaw256

my condolence sir.i have a 28 yr old son and i thought how would i react if i was to lose him. i went out to his cottage and gave him a hug.what you have done must have been very painful.but fufilling at the same time. a fitting tribute to your son and therapy for you all rolled in to one act.my prayers are with you sir.i wish we were closer we could help on the painting if you were to do it.oh yeah i like that truck!!

20. Hot Rod Grampa

Hot Rod Grampa

Thank you for sharing. I let my 11 year old son read your thread and used the moment to explain why we as parents are at times so protective. Our prayers are with you.

21. Getting the truck together and on the road was one of the best things you could have done to honor your son's memory and help you work through your own grief. I have a 12 year old grandson who refers to my '38 Ford pickup as "my truck."

22. RAY With

RAY With

Great that you got it together and got the truck going . I also did a truck with my son and we finished it and he then headed to Afghanistan. Served 12 months in combat and came to Texas for 12 months and now headed back to combat again. I know the pain and God bless. I know he is with you every step of the way.

23. robertsregal

robertsregal

sorry for your loss,he will be with you in spirit

24. boutlaw

boutlaw

Jimmy's right there with you Skull, and you got a damn good friend that got you back on the truck......Sorry for your loss, can't imagine losing a child, but Jimmy's got shotgun for sure...Drive on!

25. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

Four years ago i lost my 19 year old son 1 week after he graduated high school. He left his 1968 Cougar for me to build. I know its not HAMB friendly but he was! I have a R.R Class in the show i host. I would be disapointed if the recipient rejected my trophy.

26. No doubt your son is proud of his truck and what his dad and his buddies have done with it and the use of one cool truck.

27. skull

skull

wow, so happy with the positive feedback on the truck :D

was awarded a special recognition award on the truck at the unfinished nationals in September.

the award is for finishing it to the point of drivable and keeping his spirit in my heart.

the funds ran out so it will be like it is for a while. but l will drive the wheels off & love doing it.

l have put almost 2500 miles since we got it going. almost everyone likes it and that has helped me heal.

l will never get over losing him, it just gets a little better with time.

had a really cool guy do a memorial on the dash :D

thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  28. skull

skull

it was good just to be recognized for all the effort that goes into a hot rod.

l took it and thanked everyone for the honor.

29. sorry to hear about your loss the truck looks great i'm sure he will be riding with you where ever the truck takes ya

30. Sorry for your loss. No parent should ever have to go through that! Your son is right there beside you everytime you fire that baby up to take it out, and great job for you and your friends for finishing it in his memory. May he rest in peace, and all his memories live on. God bless