Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aluminum body for a Corvette

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by frankinplymouth, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nexxussian

nexxussian

I like Cheetahs and Listers, but for some reason I'm "feeling" more of an aluminum bodied Devon (or at least something styled like one).

2. fleet-master

fleet-master

yeah!! Devon SS or Scarab type o' thing COOL!!

3. frankinplymouth

frankinplymouth
    from oregon

Starting to play with paper dolls to see what i can get. Ray

Attached Files:

4. Definitely going for a roadster and not a coupe?
    If you want any photoshop help/ideas, just let me know.

5. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I have to second that.

6. gearguy

gearguy

My friend Gregg Kishline [a lurker on the HAMB] is building a Mach 5 body for a go kart. Here it is ready for one final skim coat before he takes it off the buck. Scaling it from a model and modifying so the client's kid could actually fit in it was probably more work than building a full size car. I've joked that between this project and his three 1/2 scale Indy roadsters he'll be lucky to net $2/hour.

I'm in awe of you guys that can dream big and make it happen!

Attached Files:

7. This one seems like a natural.

Looking forward to seeing this regardless of what you build!

Attached Files:

8. BigChief

BigChief

9. jammersspeed

jammersspeed
    from herman mn.

looking forward this one!

10. frankinplymouth

frankinplymouth
    from oregon

Still working the design out.. Wittling down the doors for that swoopy look and if you look at the windshield it is now rounded at the corners. Changes the look. Non-vetteish Ray

Attached Files:

11. Noland

Noland

oh, this is going to be good

12. evs1

evs1

Yeah but, underneath it's still a corvette. Oh well, I have faith in you, it'll turn out fine.

13. frankinplymouth

frankinplymouth
    from oregon

This is a half mock up of the body so i can take a look at it. It is made with some scrap metal,paper and metal duct tape. Lots of work.............Ray

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      104.4 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      126.3 KB
      Views:
  14. -Brent-

-Brent-

The nose looks a little 280z-ish.

I dig the rear 1/4.

15. Tony

Tony

Love the front and overall profile! The front reminds me of a European racer with the oval grill and Ferrari style lights..
    The back kinda reminds me of a late 60's cutlass which i wish it didn't, but i'm sure you have a lot more planned for it than this first mock up.

VERY nice, can't wait to see the steps to come.
    Thanks for posting.

Tony

16. budd

budd

thats looking great, and if you built the whole car like that you might get on the red green show.

17. Ray, you've definitely lost the Vette look there. Looking great. How can you make it look a little older?

18. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

I'm in ... nice start ...

Paco

19. chopperrob

chopperrob
    from ny

I really like the back half and the drivers head pod. Im no really diggin the mg type front end..maybe something with sharper points?

20. pitman

pitman

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I like it so far. Hope the finished rear has more curves to it. I'd like to see more curve side to side on the trunk lid and the tail on finished body.

22. blackprimer

blackprimer
    BANNED
    from Reality

A guy here in Grand Rapids has already done that....Shows his face in public with it.

23. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

[​IMG]

It's the crease under the headlight that causes the Z look. I'd expect that it'll go away as the panel gets finished.

24. sirhc

sirhc
    from Boise, ID

Subscribed - great project!

25. koolkemp

koolkemp

Wow looks great already compared to the ugly stock Vette !

26. 50Fraud

50Fraud

That's a really ambitious mockup using flat materials! Looks promising for the real thing!

27. wisdonm

wisdonm

[​IMG]

<table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="500"><tbody><tr><td colspan="4">Scaglietti - “Corvette Italia”
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="4">Custom aluminum coach work hand crafted by Italian styling studio Scaglietti in Modeno, Italy. The cars were based on the bodies the Italian designer had done for the Ferrari's long hooded Tour de France GT model.</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="4">The vision of Gary Laughlin, a Texas oil-developer and amateur racer, in collaboration with Jim Hall and Carroll Shelby. Gary funded the project to create these lightweight racers based on the 1959 Corvette running gear. </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="4">None of the three cars was ever raced and Shelby later took his idea from Italy and Chevy to England and Ford.</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="4" class="subhead">Specifications</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="4">Two of the three cars built had automatics and one a four-speed before Chevrolet shut down the project. They cited their reluctance to interrupt the assembly line to produce additional chassis without complete bodies as requested by Laughlin.</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="4">The chassis is a standard 1959 Corvette and is completely stock. Excluding the fuel cell, the rest of the chassis, including the entire braking and suspension systems, are all factory components, just like you'll find on any other Corvette of that year.</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="4">The 283-cubic-inch V8 puts out 315 horsepower and features the Rochester fuel injection system. The gearbox is a 4-speed Borg-Warner T-10 with a Hurst shifter and linkage.</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="4" class="subhead">Oh what bodies!</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="4">Built in the classic Italian tradition, all three Corvettes had aluminum-paneled bodies that were individually handmade, using the time-honored method of hammers and dollies.</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="4">Gauging the shape strictly by eye, the Italian artisans slowly sculpted every panel by pounding flat sheets of aluminum with large wooden mallets. Sandbags and tree stumps were the surfaces that the aluminum was hammered against.</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="4">The end result, besides being bestowed with a uniquely shaped body, is a '59 Corvette that is 400 pounds lighter in weight. </td></tr></tbody></table>
    [​IMG]

This was to original planned body style.

28. Gromit

Gromit

Astonishing! (hint.. vents in the fenders.. just sayin' ) Love the truck in the Background btw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.