Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1962 Ford Falcon Deluxe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

It followed me home. Can I keep it?

[​IMG]

Please?

-Dave

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  2. Only if you make it a tail dragger ;).

3. I used that line one one of my ex wives one time, it didn't end well!

4. Too short for a tail dragger, maybe another gasser;)

5. drag_punk

drag_punk

Yep you have my approval

6. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

nope, send it to me:D

7. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

as long as it followed you home, you should keep it, but you need to get that ugly car off of it, and paint out the U-Haul logos.

8. awesome go for it heres some inspiration thanks to mr. weesner

Attached Files:

9. metalix_421

metalix_421

gasser gasser gasssssssssssssser!!!

10. raidmagic

raidmagic

Yes you can keep it and enjoy the hell out of it!! Nice get

11. now THATS funny......:D

12. 37_chevy

37_chevy
    from Nebraska

Don't feed it, it'll never leave;)

13. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Sorry about that ! It has been bad here lately ! I was sure it would follow someone home again . I will come and get it right away . I usually catch it before it gets out of the driveway , but I guess I wasn't looking this time ! I will make sure to get a bigger chain for it this time . :rolleyes:

Make it a gasser ! They make great drag cars for sure . I have owned a couple back in the 70's and were fun cars to have . Doesn't take must to make them a screamer either ! A nicely built 289 or 302 will do it justice .
    So what are your planes for the Falcon ?

Retro Jim

14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

4 cyl, overdrive auto, late model rearend. Driver!

15. VonKool13

VonKool13

NOW THATS A CAR HAULER! But what the hell is that four wheeled contraption sitting on it?

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

congrats on new project - have a buddy looking for one that is super clean with no drive train or interior- going to build it for Bonneville and put a flathead in it

17. 33mopower

33mopower

uhaul will send you a nice bill if you don't return it.

18. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Ok, you guys persuaded me to give back the trailer. ;)

Flatheadpete is the closest to what’s planned here. My ‘61 is my daily driver, but it needs some rust repair. Since I’ll be learning to do it myself, it’s going to take a while.

I was perusing Craigslist not too long ago and spotted this ‘62 Deluxe for sale. I casually leaned over to my lovely bride and said “Instead of fixing my (‘61) Futura, I should just get this one for the body and swap all the pieces over.”

She said “Ok, let’s go look at it next weekend.”

So we did. Our plan has evolved, though, since we first looked at the car about a month ago. Rather than use this one to fix my ‘61 Futura, I’ll put this one on the road as a ‘62 Deluxe (my favorite Tudor Falcon anyway), and the ‘61 Futura will become my wife’s project.

The ‘62 is going to be fairly conservative, following the original plan for my ‘61: dark color (blue or black), slight lowering (2" blocks in back, nose to match), ‘65 Mustang 200-6, ‘57 Ranchero overdrive, and the blue bucket-seat interior from my ‘61. Disc brakes and a few other improvements will happen too.

The ‘61 is going to be themed as hot rod/street custom circa 1962. She wants it pink (kinda like the Weesner illustration above), with a white top, a powerful V8, and an automatic transmission. I’m thinking Astro Supremes, skinny whites, and Bellflower tips. She wants a pink vinyl interior with white Zodiac inserts, and a good stereo.

The V8 swap is going to follow Wally Parks’s ‘60 Comet - I don’t expect much love for that, but I’m kind of excited nonetheless.

I’ll try to illustrate both builds in this thread.

-Dave

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Cool! But with Falcons lately, it's been the other way around for our household... SHE sees one and says "it's cute, I like it, it should follow us home!"!

20. weez

weez

Dave, I don't think you can get it low with supremes without some kind of a narrowed front suspension. I would say a 5" wide rim would be max width for fender clearance with stock lowered frontend. That's why the "Orchid Flake" Falcon has what's supposed to be 14"x5" chrome rims. Even the back is crowded, I had 14"x6" American 5-spoke copies on the back of my Comet and the tires rubbed like crazy, I finally put the 14"x5"s steels back on...

This is how mine sat with 14"x5"s with 185/75R 14's- it also ran 5.60x14 whitewalls-

Attached Files:

21. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Hmm, thanks for the input. Not sure how I missed this before. I take it Astros are not available in 14x5? A chromed steel would be ok with me. Not sure how she'll like it, however. On the other hand, she doesn't necessarily want it all that low. LowER, definitely, but probably no more than 2- or 2.5 inches.

-Dave

22. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

By way of update, the previous owner sent me all his as-purchased and disassembly photographs today. Out of respect for their privacy, I’ve uploaded only the ones without any people in them, but I think you get a pretty good idea of what’s been done so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Dave

23. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

24. weez

weez

Yeah, pretty much any mag is a deeper than stock offset- Unless it's really skinny and flat- it would have to be a 15" tho, (with a 5.60) I don't think there's any 14"x5" mags, I've only seen 14"x6"

My Comet was only about 3" down and the tire was pretty close to the fender lip even with the 5" wide medium offset rims- I've seen 6" wide mags on Falcons, but they're right under the fender lip, not inside-

I remember my friend Nick had some skinny astros made up for the front of his A sedan tho- wonder if you could get 14's done-

25. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Eat some beans & make a GASSER.
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

26. Man would I love to have that.

27. 60 ford

60 ford

It looks to be in excellent shape, should make a really nice ride.

28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya Dave, get real careful on wheel selection if you are going down with this one even a bit. The girl's wagon is gonna be close with the 14X6 Tru-Spokes and 185/75-14"s. We are at 3" frontspace on the wheels and about 2 1/2" down and I can barely slide a finger in between tire and fender in the front. The back is gonna clear well, but with a two inch block I guarenty it will be miserable to pull a back wheel and tire. such is life though... I'm seriously considering stock 14X5 Maverick style wheels chromed with a 175/70-14" on the Ranchero. Hankook makes that size in a narrow white that will fit and look good, I hope!

Attached Files:

29. derbydad276

derbydad276

looks like a clean body

needs a 300 inch ferd with a offy intake with F/I engine split exaust

30. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Well. After failing at putting together my engine hoist due to having hands too large to fit inside the tubing, I started cleaning out some of the parts so I could maybe start working on the '62. I shot a few pics along the way. Interestingly, it looks as though this '62 was given a '61 body shell and a '60 engine at one time. Not that it matters much to a Rodder.

-Dave

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011