Register now to get rid of these ads!

need honest opinions is my truck worth 4500?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iwanaflattie, Nov 5, 2011.

1. I need some opinions.
    I got offered $4500.00 for my f1.
    Good title.
    stock 350/350 with no problems
    straight sheet metal
    volare ifs but butchered step notch.
    I like the "patina" on my truck but I dont like the suspension(or drive train)
    I bought a frame to start fresh but now this deal came to my door step and I'm not sure if I am doing good or not.
    I want to start a fresh build with:
    a dropped axle,a 9",a 302 GMC and 4 speed,Paint.
    If I sell my truck I could buy his 52 f1 shell for 500(no major rust and no dents).
    I have a 302 GMC
    I have a 9 inch
    I have a 4speed
    I have a nice frame
    I don't have the dropped axle,I might even go with a Jag ifs.
    The question is..would you do it?

Attached Files:

2. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Id think that was top dollar,so take it and go build a better one.

3. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

sounds like you already made up your mind.for $4500 it seems like a no brainer.

4. Mike Rotch

Mike Rotch
    from Easley SC

I believe I'd do that. You could probably get a little more for it on the auction site, but If the dude seems cool, has cash, and lives nearby...take a little loss. Its getting winter time and you'll need to build something to help fend off cabin fever. Good luck

5. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

6. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

So I am guessing it's not driveable?

My brother just sold his '48 F-1 for $8500 but it was turn-key... volare clip, gm tilt column, rb 302 and C6. It looked just like yours for the most part. But it didn't need any work besides painted and a few minor things. Just to give you an idea.

7. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

SELL and enjoy building while you can! If the welds are good or bad tell them
    my Friend - Our world is still square you know - Build!

8. the other me

the other me

Not to knock your truck...but $4,500 for it would really allow you to build a finished truck that you would like more. I'd sell.

9. 4500 is good money for that truck.
    But I don't believe he could get his shell driving for the difference of 4000.00. That's why he wants to buy yours.
    I also don't believe that you think you could get his shell driving for the same 4000.00 or you wouldn't be asking.

If you sold it and built his to your liking, you'd probably be happier and not as far in the hole. Compaired to redoing your 4500.00 truck and having 10,000.00 wrapped up into a 4500.00 truck.

10. oj

oj

I disagree. I have a shop and i see this happen over long periods of time, a guy will buy a car and go to work on it. Spend lots of cash and a couple years of effort and thats as far as he can get. He'll sell it and soon enough he'll by another and go to work on it spending lots of cash and efort - he'll get it to about where he got the last one and just can't get to the next step! Thats as far as he can go! He runs slam into a wall, so he sells it and the process repeats itself. You know who builds the best little cruisers, they guy that keeps improving what he already has. I watched a guy take a 54 international pickup over about 10 years and he just kept pecking away at it - it had to be the ugliest truck ever made - and he turned it into the cleanest little truck in town, it don't have a fancy paint job nor shiney wheels, the upholstery could be improved on and it aint got no 3 dueces - it is just pretty much stock but the guy has earned a ton of respect and he just drives the hell out of it. Other guys are now on thier 3rd hot rod since he started doing the truck and i guarentee he is happier and they envy him.
    Keep the truck and make it right - it is yours and when you are an old man and go out into the shop you can still be working on that same truck, changing something or rebuilding what you've got.

11. thanks guys.
    the truck is drivable,the stepnotch is ugly but is strong.
    This guy is a friend of mine.He caught the vintage truck bug and cant seem to shake it off.
    He is mostly into ricers but hes taken a lot of interest in old trucks.
    I dont need to sell my truck,I would sell it basically because he dont have tools or any idea on how to work on them.
    I was just talking to an older gent and told him about this deal and he offered me 5000.
    also a gent from new zeland offered me 6 grand 2 weeks ago.This truck has potential
    But this also would be a good opportunity to start from scratch.
    I really dont want to sell but I dont want my buddy to lose interest in this hobby.

12. OJ very touching words.
    It is my fear that he will just do that.
    I told him to start gathering parts for his shell,but he wanted to go all balls out with a big block,mustang ifs.
    I told him to get realistic and start small.
    but ?????

13. big creep

big creep

what is cabin fever???;)

14. urge to drive a cab???
    :confused:

15. big creep

big creep

why not just keep your truck, its nice!

16. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

I here you on the 54 international Guy - His goal was not the same here - He did not
    have a 303 GMC other things for a future project - I admire both - Hone his skills he
    want need 10 years to build what ever he desires - Plus the other guy gets his feet wet in the hobby or business - You are correct on this is a every day thing on stopping
    or finishing

17. BlackLion

BlackLion
    from Nashville

Why not offer to help your buddy build one? Then make improvements to yours along the way. Yours is nice, don't give it away! Love the pinstripe!!

18. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Thats good money for your truck, take the money and buy a 40 p.u. project and build it the way you want.

19. do you really want to build a truck ??

or do you want to drive the truck that you got now???

20. banditomerc

banditomerc

Cut your truck lose to someone who truly likes it the way it is.This truck is not for you.build a new one....your way.

21. Plung

Plung
    from San Diego

22. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

My take might be a bit different....(nice truck by the way)
    Depending on how old you are, (I am 67) the choice to me would be if you want to continue to drive a real cool rig now as you are, or start over with all the pain in the ass stuff to build a new one, and not be driving till it is done...
    JMHO.
    Good luck, and let us know what you do..
    Cheers.

23. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

I asked this guy:

[​IMG]
    Sell it!

24. 56 Frame Dragger

56 Frame Dragger

If you have to think about it your truck don't mean that much to you so I would say SELL IT.

25. To me this is the key. If you're not happy with your truck, and are willing to build one yourself, then take the deal. Just make sure your friend doesn't give up on his project:)

26. The question I'd ask myself is...Do i have the skill set to do a complete frame up transformation like you are talking about. The new build definitely won't be a part A into part B rebuild.

Your truck looks fairly complete, you said you like your truck's patina but you want paint on the new one, maybe refine and make the current one into the truck you want.

Shrug, in the end it's your call.

BTW, ever get that 302 running?

27. Joey7319

Joey7319

If it were me, I would keep the truck you have and make changes as time and money allow. But I have a short attention span and prefer a running project over a full build. It`s amazing what you can get done in a weekend when you need to drive the truck again on monday.

28. DrJ

DrJ

WARNING!
    Sounds good if it's dead president CASH.
    If it's a check of any kind, especially one for more than the $4500 and he wants you to give his "friend" who's picking the truck up the extra cash back, it's a SCAM! And a bad check, even if it's a "cashier's check" it's bad.
    Otherwise GOOD DEALING!

29. I think he is going to be mad at me for sometime.
    I asked the wife she said: don't sell it because I ain't want to hear you bitch after you sold it.

Dream weaver the 302 almost started.I need to get my starter rebuild tho.
    Thanks to Jason aka 20gallons for helping me.

30. SOLD IT!!!!
    My next f1 will have to wait.
    I think Ill get my Coe running and driving first.