Register now to get rid of these ads!

Basement flood eats mag collection, need some estimates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Zenor, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Gah. Thanks to the ever-competent ComEd, after 3 power outages this week totaling 50 cumulative hours, my sump pump battery died. The basement flood attacked my mag collection, including the complete Rodders Journal vols 1-36.

Most of the items I can find on eBay to estimate loss for insurance, but there are some rare ones I'd like to get a ball park value estimate on...

Complete Pete Millar's Drag Cartoons 1964-66 vg condition

Garage Magazine #1 mint

Hot Rod DeLuxe #1, #2, #3 mint

Can anybody cite recent sales of these with value? Please feel free to respond by PM if you prefer.

Dejectedly,
    Mike

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Sorry to hear that Mike. I'd be devastated if I lot my mags.....I think more so then if I lost car parts. Best wishes buddy.

3. Damn Mike, sorry to hear that. I lost my Garage#1 and many others in our 07 flood. I don't think I have a good spare HRD but let me look.

4. dank mike
    i was thinking about all you guys to the south of me
    7.2 inches of rain in one night is pretty tough
    no info on the mags, but a free bump for you buddy
    tk

5. When our apartment building burned down 24 years ago I lost a great hotrod magazine collection. The insurance company informed me that they weren't covered. They said a collection had to be appraised and insured separately. I hope that is not the case for you....

6. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

Mike, sorry to hear about this.
    There's a magazine dealer in Connecticut named Russ Schaller who might be able to help you on the Drag Cartoon ones. I am not sure of his contact info but this is his eBay
    profile:

http://myworld.ebay.com/rchfldruss/

Good luck, regardless.

Cris

7. titus

titus

That sucks,

we got about a 1/2 of water in our basement the other day, speed parts were floating everywhere, not really, luckily we got most of it up stairs before the carpet saturated completely

jeff

8. slammed

slammed

The Hot Rod Deluxe #1, #2, #3 have jumped around quit a bit, so the bay doesn't help now. #1 $45-$75ish #2 $25-$45. #3 is $10-25ish. Nice to really clean, flat copy. The Garage #1 can vary widely: $75-140.

9. 123

from Seattle

No pics or comparables for you but the last swpmeet I was at there were 2 different vendors that both had a copy of Garage #1 and they both were asking $200.

10. Freeze dry them will save them.

11. Wow, so sorry to hear that Mike. I narrowly escaped a similar situation twice this year. It's sure not a good feeling to see water rapidly approaching your lifelong collection!:eek::mad:

12. Sorry Mike!! Basements are the Devil! Hope your insurance helps recover them, even though I know they are more valuable to you than a stupid price tag :(

13. How'd I miss this... Did the Custom Funny Car Magazine from 1966 survive?

14. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Mark am with ya buddy didn't know Mr Z lost all his mags Shit the flood kill our shop and closed us down for good. we had all our CNC under 2.5 feet of water and well Shit

15. They don't work well under water... especially shitty water... Sorry to hear about your shop which sucks even more with the loss of income compounding the claim!

16. kzeliminator

kzeliminator
    from chicago

kinda shitty you blame comed, not the weather or the fact you didnt have a battery backup... good luck with your search

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Sorry Mike, hope it all works out for you, Insurance companies are the devil.

Your reply is kind of shitty, especially since you missed the part where he DID have a battery backup. :eek: