Register now to get rid of these ads!

Repro Plastic Seat Covers ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bubbletopbuick, Nov 4, 2011.

1. bubbletopbuick

bubbletopbuick
    from Indy

Anyone know if someone is supplying/making plastic protective seat covers like what use to come with the cars back in the old days?

I would like to keep my original seat upholstery on my 60 Comet looking nice and keep it protected since it doesn't have tears in it.

2. my grandma had those in her 1958 Rambler

living in SoCal your legs stuck to 'em and felt like you ripped skin off getting out

3. OGS41

OGS41

I had heavy gauge plastic covers on my early 60's Pontiacs. They kept my seats like brand new until the cars were sold in the 90's. They both were fabricated and installed by Bolduc Upholstery of New Park Ave. Htfd,CT. when the cars were brand new. The material was available by the roll and had clear plastic piping and I think white nylon thread. I would check with an old trimmer to see if this stuff is still available. I never knew of prefitted covers or kits unless maybe JC Whitney?

4. Dadstoy 2

Dadstoy 2

I remember my Dad having a set installed at Western Auto on his 57 Pontiac Star Chief. In cold weather they were cold and made a crackling sound when you sat on them.

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

How about the summertimes?! I remember people using them on their couches too.

6. bubbletopbuick

bubbletopbuick
    from Indy

I never sat on them, so I can't relate to the skin peeling off in the Summer heat, nor the crackling in the cold.
    I was mainly thinking of protecting the original upholstery more than anything else.

7. Dadstoy 2

Dadstoy 2

The covers eventually turned yellow,dried out and cracked open. They look good for the first few years.

8. BISHOP

BISHOP

Someone that does upholstery on vintage furniture will have that stuff.

9. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

10. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

i seem to recalll fingerhut sold them at one time. can relate to the heat and cold misery of them, but the seats looked great at trade in time.

11. I remember both these sensations on my Grandfather's '63 BelAir. They were cold,hard and had a lot of condensation on them in the winter as well.
    The skin sticking to the seats was a painful experience. I'd be willing to bet the newer ones won't be as prone to crack as the quality of materials and plastics have changed so much since those days.

12. 56 Frame Dragger

56 Frame Dragger

Plastic covers and eight track tape deck players, oh the good old days

13. bubbletopbuick

bubbletopbuick
    from Indy

14. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

Nothing like letting the guy who buys your car enjoy the upholstery while you've suffered.

They make new upholstery fabric every day, why not enjoy yours.

squirrel likes this.
  15. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

You might try SMS in Oregon, they carry regular retro fabric and may have the clear covers you're looking for.

BTW: Many years ago, shortly after I got out of High School, I worked at the same location as a lady up the street from me did. She rode me to work almost everyday at the time and she had a '56 Chevy BelAir 2dr Hardtop. Black/Black & White Interior...and she had those Clear Plastic seat covers installed when she got the car.

Cold in the Winter; Hot in the Summer. BUT they sure protected that cool Chevy interior !

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

16. bubbletopbuick

bubbletopbuick
    from Indy

Heh... Ive not sat on the plastic covers. I haven't felt the suffering.
    Yea the upholstery on these seats are vinyl but with raised, textured, star bursts. I'll dig around but I have a feeling I wont be able to find any of that material reproduced.

17. Drewski

Drewski

Back in the 50's every new car my dad bought went straight from the showroom to the upholstery shop for the clear seat covers. I seem to recall some of the last the he had put on had a pattern stamped in them that looked something like diamond plate.

I agree, they were very uncomfortable.

18. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

Hey guys,

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to see if I could bring it back up. I am looking for the clear plastic covers, as I want to keep my original/slightly weathered look.

Has anyone found a source?

Thanks!

19. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Why save them for the next guy. Enjoy them now.

20. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

I am not looking so much to protect them as I am trying to prevent further damage. I like the vintage covers and they are starting to tear.

21. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

I worked the trim business in the sixties. Installed hundreds of Fingerhut clear seat covers. All previous statements are true. Stick to them in summer and slide across them in winter..Then they turn yellow and crack. Drivers seat bottom and upper back. Top of back seat..:(

22. Gercow

Gercow

Starting this thread back up.
    Anyone find a reproduction of the raised clear plastic that Fingerhut used? (See photo)

Attached Files: