Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bristol, ct swap meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MARVIN CT, Nov 1, 2011.

1. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

They're both pretty big.
    Either one is a crap shoot...some times you hit, some times you don't.
    Go to both to be sure!

2. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I'm going to the Lake Compounce swaps. It's a yearly ritual.

3. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

I've scored on some good finds at Thompson in the past but didn't happen to last year. Found plenty to make the trip to Compounce worthwhile for my first visit last year. I treat swaps as a day out, seldom find what I really need at the moment but am often pleasantly surprised on stuff I will be needing or using down the road. Unfortunately the snow we got while I was gone this past weekend has set back my outside work list for this week and I will have to miss them all to catch up.

Ed

4. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

wow i just googled thompson ct its only about a hour away!!! holy crap thats so close and i love swap meets, i alway go to the amherst nh swap meet and thought it was the only good one close by

5. csimonds

csimonds

IMHO, the Lake Compounce swap is much better than Thompson. The lake has more traditional vehicle swap meet merch, and thompson is loaded with roundy round stuff and lots of plastic light up santa clause decorations!
    Chuck

6. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Does anyone know if the snow has been melting enough, and is Lake Compounce on for sure????

7. You might call for an update. From their website...

"Take exit 31 off of I-84, from either direction, and follow the signs to the swap meet.
    More info, call 203-697-9113."

8. 1960CHEVY

1960CHEVY

Lake Compounce Family Theme Park 822 Lake Ave, Bristol, CT 06010-7333

Lebanon Valley Dragway 1746 US 20. East Nassau, NY 12062

Thompson Speedway 205 East Thompson Road, Thompson, CT 06277

9. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

snow shouldnt be an issue. electricity and power company crews are still a major problem.

the thompson swap meet was a major fail last year. out of 3 people i knew who went they found absolutely nothing but a pair of grab-handles for my jeep wrangler. thats about it.

I've heard lake compounce has the more "traditional" vintage stuff your looking for.

10. Paul B

Paul B

Compounce is on we b there

11. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

If you can only attend one of them I'd say Compounce is the better of the two...lots of circle track stuff,lawn mowers,trash fires etc. at Thomson. But on the other hand Compounce is twice as far.... (at least for me)

12. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

yes me too, I plugged it into mapquest Compounce its much farther away but if its better then its better. I will see if I can swing both but if I can only go to one it will be Compoucne. Are these swap meets monthly or annually?

13. scootrz1

scootrz1
    from usa

was planning on thompson sat lake c sunday prob gotta blow off one (work been out since Mon ) gonna need to work one day at least I am thinkin thompson needs or wants elec so there may not be as big a turn out POWER IS STILL OUT there

14. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Are you boys going to either, Brett???

15. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

I haven't talked to Scott about it yet, so I'm not sure. I might have plans on Sat. so it looks like Lake Comp. on Sunday for me. If I see you there I promise to look the other way...LOL:D:D:D just kidding K-man

16. sixinarowjoe

sixinarowjoe
    from eastcoast

Compounce for me, all the swaps have their share of mowers,boats weedwackers and yard tools, but alot of those people have car stuff also , i look through everything, and i never come home empty handed, plus its a day out of the house,

17. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

You can run like a girl, but you can't hide! :D
    Maybe I'll see you guys there...I'm still tryin to find out if it's on or not.

18. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Hey Keith, Have you found your winter project yet ???

19. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

Basically everyone and everything in the center and western side of Connecticut is without power, or it is limited at best.
    There is no power in the area right now, remember its a "prediction" that the area will have power by sunday.

If power crews are using it as a stageing area, the dirt parking lot will be a muddy mix to say the least between the heavy trucks, snow and warmer weather.

The McDonalds outside the park closed and has become something else now.

Then again if power crews are using the parking lot for stageing, how will that effect overnight security and will you even be let in to set up on saturday ?

The parking lot gets sunlight, but being in such an open area it stays cold and gets cold quickly there. Prepare for snow to still be on the ground.

In Connecticut, Lake Compounce is the only swap meet you are more likely to find that old part for your Antique, Street Rod, Hot Rod or Custom.

Looking for an OEM metal painted style torque converter cover for a TH350.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  20. F&J

F&J

Thompson runs on their own generators for races, so I doubt they worry about power outages?

21. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

sounds like some one wants all the good stuff to himself :D:D:D:D

22. Maybury

Maybury

Wow,
    They must be looking for stuff after I went through at Thompson.
    I came home with all kinds of stuff including a Toter home and car trailer.:D
    I have yet to find a BAD swapmeet.
    But I drive 5 hours to get to Thompson and 3 to get to Lee in NH.
    And can always fill 1/2 of the Suburban with parts and tools to bring home.
    But I am also looking for parts for about 5 different projects and for stuff for a few of my buddys that can not make it to the fleemarkets.
    Mark

23. Talked to Tom F from csra and he said it's still on but the grounds are wet so bring some boots !

24. George/Maine

George/Maine

They say its going to be cold Sat night,That sounds like ice to me. Keep us updated.

25. Jimv

Jimv

There both probably worth the ride from westchester, LC is closer.Lebonanon is also a ride from westchester( were in westchester?)But could be close from the northern part of the county.
    JimV

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  26. Jimv

Jimv

Both of these swaps are excellant( if you find anything you can use!) IMO Thompson has alot more vendors, but LC is much easier to navigate! Thompson gets real confusing sometimes.If you have one leg shorter then the other Thompson would be the better also!ll
    JimV

27. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Looks like fall to me

Attached Files:

28. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

we wont be able to make it either swap but we have a friend who might be taking some vintage tin doors to Thompson for us.

29. csimonds

csimonds

Too bad you couldn't come and bring the Caddy, I bet it would sell!
    Chuck

30. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

i bet it would too. we just can't spend all day there. need to get some stuff done this weekend and need to get a load of scrap together to take to the yard so we can fund our winter project :) . A sign will be up at Thompson for the caddy for sale. Hopefully someone will give it a nice home this weekend. It needs some love :)