Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage portland swap meet 2012 rumor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41plym, Oct 28, 2011.

1. 41plym

41plym

As dumb as this sounds I keep hearing the rumor that there is going to be a circus at the expo on the same weekend. Is anyone out there directly involved with the swap meet that can confirm or deny this rumor. I can't believe it to be true but I keep hearing it. I called the number listed on the swap meet website but just got a voicemail, also checked expo website but it's not up to date as they don't evan have swap meet listed on their schedule.
    Thanks
    41plym

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Here's the link to their web site:
    http://www.portlandswapmeet.com/

There's no circus on the scedule for the Expo in 2012, and Ringling Bros. has no scheduled stops in Portland. When they are in town they usually use the old Memorial Coilseum, not the Expo. The roofs aren't high enough at the Expo for indoor shows, and April would be bad month for outdoors! The whole month of April is booked for the Expo in 2012, so no open weekends for a circus.

3. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Maybe you misunderstood when they said there would be a bunch of clowns at the swap meet.

4. draggin37

draggin37

One rumor that I have also heard is that they are no longer allowing Motorcycles, mini bikes, bicycles at the Track!

A confirmation on this would be nice too. I can understand the motorcycles/mini bikes thing. Specially with all the 2stroke motocross bikes and jackasses in their side by sides showing up in the last few years...but taking our bicycles...F that!

5. 41plym

41plym

I also heard no motorized scooters or bikes at the track which I would welcome. The circus story goes like this, it's in the southwest corner of the lower parking lot and they have signed a 5 year deal. I have a couple of buddies that are convinced this is true, I do not believe it and have a small wager to that fact. Just trying to verify it with the powers that be.

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

A ban on motorized vehicles at the race track is much needed, and I hope it's true! we nearly got run over on several occasions this year, and I was thinking on taking some clothesline we could string between us next year!

7. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

I cant wait for the swap meet this year, I also would have to agree about the mini bikes at the track, It's like a circus itself with all the lazy self indulgent ass clowns riding around mopeds and mini bikes.

8. Don't do that - we'll miss you when you are in the Big House for Murder with Special Circumstances of Lying In Wait. :rolleyes:

9. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Just got my Space Information for the 2012 Portland Swap meet.

The Circus (cirque du soleil) has booked the back lower section of the Expo center, and screwed us swap meet guys.

It looks like the whole back area is now for the circus.

It says they might not be able to fit everyone else in, and if you want your old spot they will relocate you, or refund you . Looks like PIR is going to be a lot bigger this year!

(It's the Back 3 sections on the RH side of the picture. This is a HUGE area!)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can never begin to figure out how or why venues decide to crap on events that have used the facilities on the same weekend for years on end and are one of the premier events at said venue every year. Sheer Greed?

Even though I have a motorized bicycle that I was planning on taking to the racetrack for the swapmeet next year I'd be more than happy to see a ban on motorcycles and mini bikes and drunks on handicapped scooters. I got run over by one last year (2010) a few minutes after I left the HAMB meet and greet. Bugger was so drunk he never knew he hit me. We packed up and left right after a dirt bike came too damned close while showing off.

11. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Anyone know what day in April its gonna be?

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  13. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

The dates for the swap meet at the expo are the 13th, 14th, and 15th of April 2012. It's usually the first weekend in April, so maybe that's why the date change. Hard to believe that they would displace half the vendors at one of the largest swap meet venues on the west coast. I would like to see something in print that backs this rumor up.

14. hi Mark i talked to Mark and he said he has heard the same thing I love the new color on your mopar

15. 270ci

270ci

Just got my swap meet application in the mail today and it includes a "changes" letter that says "Cirque Du Soleil" will be sharing the grounds, resulting in 1/4 fewer outside spaces, basically the whole corner of Marine Drive and the Max rail. They mentioned to expect a "traffic impact". Uh huh...Bummer!!!

16. I'll pass next year.

17. no doubt in my mind. this all started when the smithsonian came to town. the swap meet moved to May that year. the clubs couldn't get the race track and the Expo the same weekend in May. they were forced to move the parking and use the whole Expo and lot. they actually made money. ( I heard that the track is an extra $150,000) then next year the city wanted to go back to the old deal. the clubs stayed with the Expo only for another year and refused the track. The city then hired another promoter for the track and holds it the same weekend as the Portland swap meet plus raised the Expo rent another $50,000 to the clubs. the city is trying to force the clubs out after 40+ years of putting on the best swap meet on the west coast. the circus trick might allow the city to win.
    this is not discussing politics it's more about bending over with no grease

18. 33mopower

33mopower

Didn't make it last year. Payed for my spot anyway so I wouldn't lose it. Although my space will still be there all the advantages will be lost. I'll be right at the start of the first row instead of the end. I think they will lose a lot of business. Might have to get a spot inside or not at all.

19. 41plym

41plym

So I guess I owe my buddy a cup of coffee. This really sucks we've had a spot for 20+ years this may be the last. PIR should benifit from this as rumor says circus has 5 year deal.
    41plym

20. lolife

lolife

Maybe they think the french canadian circus will actually bring out the sun (circus of the sun).

Then not so many people will drown when they fall off their bicycles.

21. 33mopower

33mopower

22. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

Well I'm a believer now! I just got my letter today, we are in the section that's affected. Had the same prime end cap spot for the last 18 + years. Man, I'm pissed. By my count it looks like 700 spots will be lost. This another example of the car hobby getting screwed while some lame ass city politician gets his way. The race track is an alternative, but the traffic, which is bad already, is going to be even worse.

23. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

Hell, I always thought that half the time that swap meet WAS the circus...lol

24. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

This should actually make the PIR track swap meet even bigger. I prefer the Expo swap meet, because the PIR track area gets so stinkin' muddy and miserable while the Expo is all paved and there are inside buildings you can run into when the rain showers hit.

25. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

yeah, definitely no shortage of clowns! lmao

26. snapper

snapper
    from PNW

Not a good deal at all. Hope I am wrong, but sounds like just the start of more bad things to come. More than likely Expo will loose even more area once the lite rail expansion and I-5 bridge replacement construction begins.
    I thought last year was a rat race and the worst that it could possibility get with parking for both venues being closed by 11am on friday. Probably just pass next year.
    Not too surprised with Tri Med/Expo already broke for 2013.

27. I hope they ban the motorized shit from PIR it was ok but now rototillers with seats, two stroke dirt-bikes, un muffled golf carts people just get drunk and grudge race in the eve. I am not down with the stupid shit that ruins it for the other guys who like to cruise on their little honda's and other scooters but it seemed like last year more guys were not there to sell just get away from the wife and be drunk and stupid. I did the EXPO for years but the spots are small and if you aren't selling parts you gotta buy two spots so you can walk around your car. I do hope it all stays intact as its a clown show but one of the best in the Northwest.

28. choppedsled

choppedsled
    from Spokane WA

Ahh, thats lame. Not a deal breaker for me but I only plan on a Thurs / Fri trip this year anyway. How f'n strange...

29. greed! this will never get better with the city taking over. those of us over 60 always talk about the good old days! now the younger folks won't have to wait that long to talk about days gone by.

30. lolife

lolife

When given lemons, make lemonade.

Maybe move it to Madras or something, and bring in some fresh car parts and new blood.

One of the reasons I left Portland in 72, was they paved over everything all the way to the Sandy river, and installed "intelligent" stop lights every 50 feet.

Go out to the desert and get some sun. :p