Register now to get rid of these ads!

hidden stereo ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodchevy, Nov 2, 2011.

1. hotrodchevy

hotrodchevy

hi just curious if anyone has any good or new ideas on hideing a stereo system in a 40s 50s car or pickup other than under seat where it is hard to get? or in glove box also inconvenient show your ideas and pics please. thanks in advance.

2. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

3. Gromit

Gromit

A friend mounted his behind the speaker grille in his '40 ford. and fastened the grille so it could be pulled off to change disks. remote control worked well.

I'm planning similar in my 49 Plym. Might mount a jack so I can just plug in an MP3 player. Pics when I can

4. hotrodchevy

hotrodchevy

that sounds nice any pics?

5. hotrodchevy

hotrodchevy

6. When I was personalizing a work van I pulled an overhead console out of a conversion that had two cubbies with doors on each side and the panel for the various lights in the middle. I realized after a while that it was easier to reach the middle of it than to reach the radio in the stock location, so when I got another van I moved this shelf over and put the radio in it. It works nice, as I can reach the stereo easy and I keep the CD's in the left cabinet.

I might copy that on my Fleetline - it's just a flat piece of material with uhpolstery on it that comes out straight at the top of the windshield, with a wood piece that goes straight up and down with the openings cut in it. It would be relatively simple to mount the stereo under a door in it and use some cabinet hinges that stay open when opened. I just need to sit in it and see how obtrusive it might be to be deep enough to hold a radio.

7. i hid it so well i cant find it .

8. sololobo

sololobo

My buddy Gary (hotrod roadster) has used the chrome tissue box with the unit hidden in it, changed the front to a flip down, slick deal. ~sololobo~

9. hotrodchevy

hotrodchevy

best i've heard so far and tissue box would look more naturalin vehicle just have to check if i have room under dash..already have a box nice chrome and all. thanks....

10. hoof22

hoof22
    Member Emeritus

Here's an idea-get one of these:[​IMG]

This one is a 1941 Arvin AM Radio I salvaged out of a 1940 International truck minutes before it was crushed. Empty out the guts, and put in any MP-3, CD, Radio, Amp whatever. They're making component car audio stuff small these days, and with the remote controls out there, you can hide them in period correct cases and have modern sound quality with an old look. I'd also use these for speakers:
    [​IMG]

They'll fit a 4 1/2"? speaker, and they make them in 2 & 3 way(tweeter, mid & low range) that small, so sound quality is good. If anyone is interested in this stuff, PM me and I'll tell you more about it.

Eric

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  11. scottlep

scottlep

Without getting too computer geek-ish. Look for the thread about connecting an iPod directly to an amplifier thus eliminating a head unit altogether. There are some good pre made kits available. I you can't find the thread let me know and I will dig it up.

12. hotrodchevy

hotrodchevy

I have a couple sets of drive in speakers like it thanks

13. hotrodchevy

hotrodchevy

also a good idea simillar to hog tunes on a bike.(I like your truck in your avatar. Hope to finish mine before spring.)

14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Im using an old aftermarket firewall heater. pulled the heater core out and just used the case,

15. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

16. hoof22

hoof22
    Member Emeritus

17. There was an article in one of the mags recently (within a couple of months) where a guy wanted his tunes but didn't want to mangle his dash or lose his glove compartment. He used his IPod with a special cable that hooked to the amp. Similar to the thought that Ryan had with his, but this set up used the Ipod for the volume. If I find the article online, I'll post it.