Register now to get rid of these ads!

Eelco 3x2 Chrysler Hemi Intake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-Russ, Nov 1, 2011.

1. xxx

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

What?!! Is there a HEMI in your future?

I've never seen one but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Scoots might know though.

I have an old polished 6x2 Edelbrock EC6 intake with vintage linkage that will be going in my 331 in my 32 but I've always secretly (or not so secretly) coveted the Weiand 3x2 and even more the 4x2 so I'm definitely interested to see what comes of this thread.

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Wow!!! That's an exciting idea and it sounds like you're heading in the right direction. A 331 in that thing would be all types of cool.

I would definitely hold out for the one piece if you can or find a 6x2 since those seem to be the next in line in terms of cost efficiency. The original 3x2's and 4x2's have gone through the roof in terms of price (which is why I picked up the 6x2) so if I were EELCO I would get off my ass and get that damn intake out on the market because there is definitely a demand to meet a supply.

I thought that the extended bellhousing is fine for most manual transmissions only requiring a mounting plate which could be made or bought from wilcap. Only if you try to mount an auto does the bellhousing need to be cut off or NO?

I was either going to go LaSalle (since my friend Jerm is becoming familiar with them) or a G-Force t-5.

But yeah that's a good idea on trying to reuse the linkage. IF not I can tell you that DICKSTER builds the finest linkage around at a good price. And Uncle Max's carbs are perfection. Neither broke the bank and I'm extremely happy with them.

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Stoked for this plan!

5. 33mopower

33mopower

I emailed them early 2010 about it and they said send payment. I talked to one of there dealers at the Portland swapmeet and he said don't send them money. They have been taking deposits and using that for there R&D. The guy I talked to was one of the original investors of the project and he said "I will be surprised if they ever produce it". I ended up keeping my money and buying a sheetmetal intake.

6. have you tried vintage speed?
    I saw one of those Hemi manifolds on the shelf a few years ago. I talked with Marty a couple months ago and he sounded like he was finished with the business. a very talanted guy but always trying to grow to fast. damn shame if he could have pulled it off, there would have been alot of parts built for all the old motors
    don't flame me but after my first meeting I really liked the guy. I'm running some of his products and have never had any problems.......Jim

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Uh hum.... DAVE! WTH?!

Okay, let's start with the intake thing. Very cool, but good luck getting anything from EELCO, including a return email. You're best bet is to try and call them. I would be careful about quality control stuff, though. I bought what should have been a very nice 6-place finned fuel log with a nice casting and completely CRAP finish work. Very disappointed in them, as are a bunch of people, based on the other threads I've seen around here. And I agree with you on the PAW's (or what used to be PAW) intake. Sort of modern looking.

As for the extended bell, no need to cut it off. The adaptation is IDEAL for a GM manual transmission with a simple adapter plate. Easy cheesy! If you REALLY don't want to use that block, you're way better off just purchasing a late '54 or '55 standard 331 block. They're not unreasonably priced and you will find yourself ahead of the game financially unless you have all the machining tools at your disposal to do it CORRECTLY. All the parts will transfer to those blocks as well. THEN, save that extended bell block and I'll have JJ swing by and pick it up for me. :D:D

I used the Wilcap adapter to GM manual trans myself. Was thinking there were a couple other people that were making them as well.

8. titus

titus

real hemis are supose to at least have 4 carbs!

9. George

George

Think there's an Edmunds 2X4 on ebay for the 51-4 engines.....and put EELCO in search.

10. 73RR

73RR

Yeah, if your trans tunnel is short on space then the extended bell could be an issue, BUT, as Scooter says, find another block instead of cutting the bell off.

11. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

Dodge hemi intake manifolds will not fit a chrysler hemi.

12. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Here is a 4x2 aluminum that would fit..Different, looks good and functional..
    Duane

Attached Files:

13. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Damn straight.........

14. If Marty is still running the show,
    why don't you just burn your money ?

It will save everyone a lot of aggravation.

15. silent rick

silent rick

yes, no intakes swap between the 3 families

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yeah I mean nothing wrong with them, I'm just a's big of a early chevy (not 307) fan as I am a hemi fan. Only a flathead takes the number one spot over those two.

If the hemi ends up being to much of pain in the ass maybe a vintage 4-71 blower with three twos might be another option for the Vicky. Just a thought. I can't see the tunnel being more then a weekends worth of work though.

Oh by the way Desotos and Dodge are completely different decks which means there is no interchange on intakes. Only Chrysler's will fit Chrysler's and even those have some hiccups like high and low deck intakes I believe.

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Ahhhhhhh, pah-fooey!!!! Who gives a shit if you can see the engine from that angle unless you suffer from little dick syndrome. :D:D I don't need to know either way. Even if you had a bad ass 3/8 3/8 flatty with a S.Co.T blower and two 97's in there you wouldn't be able to see them either and that my friend would be the "BE ALL END ALL" of mill choices IMHO.

Go with the hemi if that's your absolute passion and you cannot see anything else in there. Don't throw one in because you think it needs to be "more badass". One thing that that SBC will allow you to do is eventually run a hood without ugly blisters getting in your way.

Can I just add in my two cents on how rad it would be if you were to run just hood sides on that or any engine you choose to run? Think Weesner's Wax On.....

[​IMG]

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Save the HEMI for the next project and finish out this Vicky with the engine you first chose. Get a healthy rebuild on it with some more "umph", build some hood sides and paint that son of a bitch!!!

You may run into steering issues and all type of other things once you get that Chevy engine out and realize it's going to be another 5 years before you're driving it again.

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Well then, I think you should definitely move forward. Nothing like looking at you car and thinking of the things you should have done. I think once you get this done it'll be incredible. Now if we could just find you a 6x2 intake for the thing we'd be in business!!! I'll tell you what, you buy me a 4x2 (sans carbs) and I'll trade you my 6x2 with 94's, linkage and air cleaner tops. :D :D

Hurry and get that done so that when Mr. McRad comes back we can come up and check out the new mill!!!!

20. George

George

Unless your'e talking 4 bolt 2 bls, 3 97s will leave you a bit short in CFM, only 450 total

Dodge& DeSoto have high & low deck intakes, all Chr are the same.

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Sounds good! Maybe you can get it down to Charlotte to visit the Ion Lawds before you tear it down. Spring Auto Fair???? Might be a great place to find some hemi parts!

I think I know which one is Dallas you're talking about but I think it's being used pretty regularly. :D Reason I'd like to switch to a 4x2 instead is that it would put my car in a earlier year since the 6x2 came out in late 57 from what I can research. I was really shooting for a 53-55 period. Anal? Yeah I know. Those early drag cars are amongst my favorite. I digress.......

22. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hear ya' on the space thing with the extended bells. That's my ONE issue with those early 331 blocks. I had to make a pretty interesting tunnel for mine. But, it's also channeled, so that kind of amplified the problem.

And yeah, unfortunately EELCO is the only one I know of that is advertising a NICE looking 3x2. If they are NOT making them anymore, SOMEONE has the patterns to them. Maybe they can be found and production can begin again. Curious to see what you find out.

23. titus

titus

im up for it! lol i know its a pain but so worth the effort, and you totally could pull it off, it aint that bad.

2x4s would be cool too.

24. 73RR

73RR

...that and an itsy bitsy crank swap issue...:D I'll let you fill him in.

25. Who needs a bigger mill? ;)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  26. RDR

RDR

been looking for a 3X2 for a 354 for years to go in the coupe project....
    when the blower went on the sedan...the I beam was directly in the way...so in went a Kugel IFS....
    by the way, this sedan originally had a sbc also and I agree with you...HEMIs only!

Attached Files:

27. 73RR

73RR

28. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That crank was from a 1956 331 Truck/Industrial motor. That was part of the problem. It was just a tad longer than the earlier standard 331 crank shafts at the flange portion. So had I known before assembling it, I would have had Pat at Wilcap just machine the flywheel recess just a bit deeper to compensate before sending it to me. Basically, I think the crank flange location was the same as a 354 or 392. I was thinking that 1951 to passenger car cranks (maybe even 1956) would have been the same. I'll need to go back over and re-read that thread again to recap what we learned from that whole thing.

29. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Hey Dave...Hotrod carbs makes a plate to go and do a 3x2 set up...Never heard of an Eelco.... only Weiand made a 3x2 set up for Chrysler...I saw a few.but they were mighty spendy.
    Tuck had one a few years back.

Yea...4-71...yummy.... now Bobby Walden is making the complete V-belt drives for the 4-71...just like Cragar...
    I have not dared to call for pricing.My heart is weak.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  30. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member