Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Reunion Photos **WARNING – Some of these may be considered "artsy".

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SpnkyMcGee, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Da Flash

Da Flash

Damn,
    Next time I go to an event, I am going to follow you around!!! Only have one film camera left, a $200 Canon with its own belt holster..
    Nice Stuff

Da Flash

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great photos and That kind of "artsy" you can show us every day and we won't get tired of it. The film adds a depth and quality to it that you don't find in digital photos.

3. greg ducato

greg ducato

Excellence, really enjoyed the post

4. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Wow haven't seen work from a Twin Lens camera in a LONG time...great stuff!....like the shot of Terry's case full of Stewart Warners.........etc

5. Super cool shots - artsy, well, I don't know - cool photography, yes! Thanks for sharing ....

6. couverkid

couverkid

Love it. Thanks

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Really great stuff. Love the desaturated look.

8. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

They look great!

9. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

10. You can find TLR's all day on the "bay" and probably Craigslist as well. Most people aren't willing to go through the hassle any more of shooting with these and medium format film adds one more level of complexity. Me, I love it.

Thanks Tman. I do love film. Next year I'm thinking of doing more formal shots of individual cars with a large format (4x5) 1948 view camera. Now THOSE will be beautiful.

I may have a couple more after I go through and process everything.

Everybody and their mother was photographing "Big John" and where it was at the time I shot this it just wasn't conducive to any better shots IMHO. Also, my budget for film and processing was somewhat limited this year so I was a little more careful in the number of shots that I made.

Thanks Jeff. High praise indeed coming from you.

I love my old cameras. I also have a Yashica D TLR that I shoot with as well as a Nikon F, Canon III, Pentax 67 and Graflex Speed Graphic. I have been eyeballing a Mamiya C3 as I love the interchangeable lens functionality.

11. Just get out and shoot. This was a $125 purchase. It's not how much you spend, it's how much you're willing to work for it. :)

12. Hmmmmm, a book would be cool. Someday after I compile a lot more perhaps. I'm pretty picky. Besides, it will be hard to follow the stuff that Church has been doing for a while now. :)

13. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

14. Gabriel Howard

Gabriel Howard
    from OKC
    1. Okie Hambers

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Some of the best pics I've seen on the HAMB. Incredible.

Love this one...
    [​IMG]

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

cool shots!!.

17. metal man

metal man

Some of those would make great posters. Thanks for your trouble.Right click, save!

18. cederholm

cederholm

Wonderful photography. Thanks for sharing! Let's here the anti-artsy crowd say something negative about these!

~ Carl

19. Oh the humanity, anything but artsy. :rolleyes:

Like the coverage.

hey the isky mill is that eds flatty? Do you have any more shots of it and or the car?

20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Hey, nice going to have the patience to use film. The days of immediate gratification were something that we older guys didn't know therefore didn't expect.
    With film you have to buy the film, drag it to car shows or the drags and then having to actually set the lens, either with a light meter, or for us penniless guy, we had to use our wits...then take the film in to get processed and then you.........wait. Sometimes up to a week, you'd wait.
    My paper route money many times didn't provide me with enough money to get prints made, so I'd get back just a roll of negatives.
    Talk about frustrating.
    Then try to find the good shot and take the negatives back in to get a handful of of 3" X 3" prints made, and then.........wait some more.
    Sometimes I wouldn't see a print until two weeks after an event.
    But, like I said, we didn't know any different.

Another frustrating part of the days of film was that we (and you) had to dole out your shots. You have to ration your film because you don't have the unlimited shots that we have today with cameras that hold hundreds or even thousands of shots.
    I can't tell you how many times I'd have to walk by Don Garlit's car or the "Ala Kart" or not get that shot of Tommy Ivo getting ready to be push started at Lions in 1963....all because I was "saving" some film for "something terrific". Ugh....man, would I like to go back in time...

So...good for you, for exercising a degree of patience to eek out a style of quality that is becoming rarer by the day.

Here, on the left, is my trusty Graflex 120 film, 2 1/4" inch from the 1950's that Dad gave me when I was 7, in 1958. The leatherette case has long since rotted off, but she still works. A Graflex was considered a "poor man's" Rolliflex, but she sure captured images that are, today, priceless.

So, again...nice going to you. And yes, that is traditional.
    And the virtue of "patience" is traditional, too. A virtue that is somewhat lost in today's world. Maybe that's why we are more "short-tempered" today. Many of us never learned "patience".

[​IMG]

21. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

blood great photos!
    i burn up maybe 3-4 rolls of B&W every year!

22. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

so, just curious:
    A. did you scan the negs or the prints to put them on the HAMB
    B. what sort of manipulation was done on your computer to get them to look like this, any (?), or a certain program? Any specific software?
    C. all shot in color? or did you shoot some B&W film, too?
    D. what kind of film, ASA?

23. richie rebel

richie rebel

very nice indeed,thanks for sharing

24. 47 ford

47 ford

These are very well done, thanks for posting.

25. Very artsy! I liked them all.

26. a. I don't have processing capabilities at home at this point so I have a pro lab that does the base processing and then scans a medium resolution image of the negatives.

b. As I have been a fan of the ultimate darkroom wizard, Ansel Adams, since I saw his first images I have worked to create a vision of how I want my final images to look and feel. Images are imported into Lightroom and very basic adjustments are made. From there I take them into Photoshop and do exactly like we used to do in the darkroom days with dodging, burning and such. I don't use filters or photoshop trickery. If you can tell that any photoshop work has been done then I believe that it is too much photoshop. The original image is 99% of my foundation so I am really careful of exposure, light and composition in camera prior to taking the shot. It is the latitude and capabilities of medium format film, the amazing Zeiss lens and attention to details that I hope make my images special.

c/d. These are all shot on Kodak Portra 120 film. Some were on 400 speed and the others were 160 asa. There are very few places that can process black and white film to the standard that I expect or are simply outside of my current budget so I shot color and did my own conversions based on composition, detail and density.

Bonus. This is the camera that these images were created with:

[​IMG]
    IKOFLEX_IIa_1 by ScottPhoto.co, on Flickr

Hope that helps. :D

27. 1940Willys

1940Willys

28. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

BAD ASS. Thanks Tim. Great work. Thanks for sharing. Love your NYC shots on your site.
    Slim

29. Original57

Original57

Artsy shmartsy! They're some fantastic photos there fella! The b&w's are my favourite. Thanks for posting. :)

Brad