Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940's MCI Bus/Motorhome

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CARtoons Magazine, Oct 30, 2011.

1. CARtoons Magazine

CARtoons Magazine
    from Canada

So I am looking at this MCI Bus from the 40's to purchase. It has a 620 that runs and the interior is pretty much done converted to a motorhome. Always wanted a unique motorhome to use as a hauler. Anyone have any more info or pics on these busses. Not sure if I should modernize the chassis with a big diesel engine or work with it original. What ya figure?

[​IMG]

Also trying to get this Metro home. How can you tell I like really odd ol school rides.:cool:

[​IMG]

2. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Those old buses can really be cool......
    I have looked/considered doing that for years, but went a different direction...
    Main thing I always found out was to really check the frame out for rust/repair.
    Also some of those old gals had odd size tires/wheels.
    You will probably want to convert to air shift, as that is a long linkage to mess with, and if it is at all loose, you are in for some fun...(If it has air ride on it)
    Other than that they are fairly straight forward, and a fair amount of info on rebuilding them can be found on the internet...
    Good luck, that is a real cool looking one!!
    Cheers..........

3. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I would kill to have one of those as a tour bus for our band!! That things awesome man.. jump on it and ensure its safety from the crusher! I say get both :D

4. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

The coolest one I ever saw was a old greyhound bus that was converted and it looked like a factory job, the best part was the little black sign up front that said where it was going, Dallas, Memphis etc. said "Okie Bago" gotta love it! Go for it ...those are way cool!

5. sawzall

sawzall

[​IMG]

i nearly bought this a few years ago..

could have owned it for 5,000..
    it was a 60's gillig..

turns out it was a commuter and not really suited for interstate travel (was made to drive around town with a gear ratio to match)

wonder what the original purpose of the bus your looking at was?

6. gas pumper

gas pumper

[​IMG]

this model is called a Courier 200.

"" In 1945 the "Courier" rear engined coach series was introduced, with series production starting in 1946. ""

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  7. CARtoons Magazine

CARtoons Magazine
    from Canada

Curious if a school bus chassis and drivetrain would work.

8. CARtoons Magazine

CARtoons Magazine
    from Canada

Any Canadian hambers know of anyone/company the could puck thus bus up from one province and ship it to another? Anyone?

9. cheveey57

cheveey57

Love the old Snap On truck.......

10. There are still a reasonable number of Metros around, and parts/info are not too difficult to find. ;) The IH drivetrains are reliable and fairly easy on gas...well, as easy as something of that type can be.

11. wrench74fun

wrench74fun
    from tucson,az

would love to see some pics of the interior and the engine compartment. i would definently upgrade the engine and trans, there several options available depending on what you are willing to spend. i have converted buses and if i can be of any help pm me. your bus could really be a head turner and alot of fun to own........good luck

12. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Not positive on that one, but I kinda doubt it...as most of these type busses have a boxed skeleton frame the full length so that you get that massive storage below....and that is the reason I mentioned to really check that frame for bad spots......

13. Try Ranger Transport in B.C.