Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

I can't believe it, I took a picture of this car in "1978" and "2011" I'm getting old.

Kershner Steel car at Reading 1978!

[​IMG]

Kershner Steel car at Hershey 2011!

[​IMG]

2. joemarsicano

joemarsicano
    from Palmyra PA

Lee & Easter, great pics!

3. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Is the Kershner car the same as the Aviators / Gatorade car or were they two seperate vehichles?

4. racer5c

racer5c

two seperate cars/teams, Jimmy Caruthers drove the Kershner car at least one year

5. racer5c

racer5c

Paging Van May, this is the info I saw on this car,
    This one is Willie Nunez at Horizon Speedway in 1968 driving a car he built. He called these cars Cactus Chassis and Joe Clay had one as well as Bobby Spencer. Dub May drove one and was injured in one at Manzanita:

Attached Files:

6. racer5c

racer5c

Red Aguayo from El Paso at Roswell New Mexico

Attached Files:

7. racer5c

racer5c

I know I'm bending the rules but I wanted Van May to see these pics and I don't have an e mail address for him

Attached Files:

8. noboD

noboD

The restoration on the Kershner car is superb, saw it at Hershey where your picture was taken. The owners are very nice people too.

9. gearguy

gearguy

Blackie Suede:
    Contact the Whittett-Higgins company. They specialize in bearing locknuts and offer a wide range of sizes and types from their stock. They also make specials in small quantities with good lead times. I've used them many times over the past 30+ years and never been disappointed.

McMaster & Carr, along with MSC, are valuable sources for the custom machine builder. You might find an item for less money but only after hours of searching. Time is money when you build special equipment so these companies are always the first checked.

It can be difficult to find things if you don't know the correct name though; a several THOUSAND page catalog becomes as tough to search as this thread.

10. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

I have no idea who, where or when? :rolleyes: :confused:

Attached Files:

11. easter

easter

I've seen this photo before. This might be old Nashville. Bob Pratt (I think) in the Vivian Buick, Hector Honroe's black deuce, but not sure about the other car. IMCA raced there - this was probably around 1963 or 1964. PK in Tampa would know.

12. Those Manzy style supers really set the standard for all the other supers.

13. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Hay, easter. I think I found this photo at the same time.
    When I found that one. Maybe you remember this one too?
    Sorry I have no recollection when I got them?

Attached Files:

14. easter

easter

I have no idea. This photo is pretty strange, huh? From the looks of things in the photo, probably mid-60's again, maybe a Ford powered Lotus doing an exhibition drive against a huge old car. If I was in that little Indy car, I'd be afraid of getting run over by that tank. Maybe that's why the driver is keeping an eye on him. Are you sure you don't know the scoop on these photos and you're just testing me? Although - - - I was at New Bremen once as a kid and it was a "Run What Ya Brung" deal and there were cars like these in the race: front engine, rear engine, roadsters, sprints, home made modifieds, cages, no cages, etc. So, who knows?

15. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Easter, Heck if it wasn’t for you & others like you. I would go threw life not knowing so much of the racing history. My hats off to you for having so much knowledge to share. Your right that guy sure looks like he is praying “don’t come down on me please” I don’t know if that upright is huge. Or it just looks that way up against the smaller rear engine car? The nose looks like A Lotus to me too. Thanks for all the insight you share. It is truly appreciated ! Keep up the great comments. :)

16. easter

easter

I appreciate the compliment, however, just about everyone else on this thread has more racing knowledge than me. I was just somebody's kid who got to go to some cool places and see some cool things for a few years. You are right about this thread: you can make a comment or post a picture and suddenly, from all over the world, men start responding with unbelievable information. Rootie Kazootie seemed like a computer with unlimited storage. I think everyone on this thread should get some kind of college credit for just being part of Josh's invention. How about Josh Shaw's S.P.R.I.N.T.? (School of Professional Racing Information and Nostalgic Technology) I'll bet the field trips would be cool!

17. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

I'm doing a restoration on the King/Rice/ Gatorade car for JD Williams of Tn. It is the 77 USAC sprint Champ car.

18. racer5c

racer5c

I will try to find you Bill O'Connor's phone number he was one of the original owners

19. sm66p

sm66p
    from gone

Bob Bergeron Collection. Hope not a repost.

Attached Files:

20. sm66p

sm66p
    from gone

Bob Bergeron Collection

Attached Files:

21. easter

easter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are pics of the same car. Curt Grogan told me this car was built by Willie Davis for Greg Weld. The IMCA version was owned by Bill Hoback (pic at St. Paul). These have been posted before, but it's cool to see them together. What a sweet car.

22. Brentdlots

Brentdlots
    from California

23. racer5c

racer5c

Greg Weld in the beautiful Don Brown built Mechanical Rabbit

Attached Files:

24. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Of coarse there are.. But I got in trouble for that once here already.

LEARNED MY LESSON! :D

25. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Out of couriosity, is there any mention of a Marion Jacobs in the ownership chain of that car?

26. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Stop asking silly questions! :D

27. glen88

glen88
    from illinois

one of the coolest lookin cars of al time

28. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

[​IMG]

I am guessing #92 is Serge Tesolin in the (Oliver) Fayot/Ford rear-engined sprinter, out of Windsor (ON). IMCA 1964 or '65 - track may be Huntington (WV)? Car was apparently an old Formula Junior Lola or Lotus, ex-John Cannon. Not sure about the #45, but IMCA had a number of old sleds still running in the sixties - makes for a nice photo op! :)

29. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

[​IMG]

If this picture is also from West Virginia International, then that's indeed Bob Pratt in the Doty car, Scratch Daniels in the Honore Deuce and Tex Shackleford in #60 (Clarence) Jordon/Chevy, I believe.

30. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner