Register now to get rid of these ads!

quad 4 "T" Tub

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cigarlarry, Oct 28, 2011.

1. cigarlarry

cigarlarry

I'm putting a Quad 4,W41 in my "T" Tub. Should go like a bat out of hell for a 4 banger. This is the third engine in 2500 mi. I've had bad luck with the early bangers. Might be more dependable with this one. I'll send picks when I learn how. Have fun,cigarlarry

2. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i dig the quad four , sort of looks like an offy mill , hope you do post some pics

3. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

First time I've heard "Quad 4" and "reliable" used in the same sentence.

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

A bud of mine has a Quad 4 he's putting in an 'abreviated' '27 tub. (he sold me the back half for my tub)
    I'm optimistic, have heard a little about 'em...mostly bad electronics at the engine spark distribution, and they have an ungainly amount of torque. Hey... spark diagnosis is what rodding is all about, or 'used to be'...

5. ramzoom

ramzoom
    from California

Runs just fine in my Rambler...:)

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Drove one 100,000 mi. +, the ign coil pack failed twice in 10 years other than that no problem.

7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Oh hell yeah! That looks like fun!

8. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

The main thing on the quad 4 is not to overheat them, that kills the cylinder head.

9. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

You're out of the club Larry!

10. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

what motor is in the rambler, is it a factory supercharged motor? I was wondering about the 4 cyl in the Pontiac Solstice, I thought they offered a turbo or supercharged version and it is a rear wheel drive set up....

11. smitty29

smitty29
    from Illinois

The later LD9 looks just like them and is a rocking motor. with the quad 4 cover slapped on it, one would not know one from the other. Pluss it has cooling system improvements I love these 4 bangers. I too have never had a problem with mine and I built it all up, designed and fabbed the turbo system, makes 400 wheel horse power in a cavalier, now I plan to put it ito my 64 nova 4 door.

By the way what trans/ bell housing/ adaptor/ fuel system do you plan to use???
    Sweet deal dude, very interested in this build

12. ramzoom

ramzoom
    from California

Quad 4 with muncie trans..

13. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

Cigar, you'd have better "luck" if you didn't drive them so hard! Go easy and slow like I do, only 165 this year on the salt, with babbitt mains!

14. There are two rear drive bell housings for them. Manapart and Quad4 Rods. I have both. The M/P part is smoother looking, but may need some offset dowels to align. That may be true of any bell housing, though.That casting is thinner also. The Q4/R part is good quality with a thick casting and better machining appearance. They are also easier to do business with.
    Some folks have claimed to use 60 degree V6 housings with minor mods, but when I mocked the combo up, it was not desirable.
    Remember to use bell to block supports similar to the original engine application as the block was never designed to support itself in a normal RWD three point mounting arrangement.

15. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

has anyone used one of the newer 4s out of a Sky or Solstice since they are already in a RWD configuration. there has to be a few in the wrecking yards now

16. ramzoom

ramzoom
    from California

Stay away from Mantapart...took my money and never sent parts..took my friends money and never sent parts...wouldnt touch them with a 10 foot pole..quad4rods is the only one to deal with..he was a good guy...

17. smitty29

smitty29
    from Illinois

yeah I heard bad things about mantapart. I do believe they are out of business now. I have also heard goods things about quad 4 rods. Those housings are just so expensive