Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 Ford Mainline Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyfords, Sep 4, 2011.

1. ...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  2. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Your garage is real neat, clean, and organized unlike mine which is a mess!!!LOL

3. virgle36

virgle36

Very nice I'm doing a 54 Crestline ans was thinking about doing the same, you said you used a differnt crossmember, your talking about the Trans cross member?

Thanks for the info!!

4. LostHope

LostHope

Right on another 54 build!!! i like the color idea for the engine!!! looks like your doing a great job so far, will be waiting for more pics:D

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

cool project-Thanks for post. what rearend/gear ratio running? type of shifter going to run? where did you get shorter water pump?

6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

7. Don,,Keep on plugging at it pal,,someday soon we both will be back on the road! HRP

8. Ole don

Ole don

Please consider putting a half inch plastic spacer under the carb to insulate it from heat. The rest of the build is perfect in every way.

9. lukey

lukey

Thats awesome how youve painted the engine, and the breather is just cool! Cant wait to see more of this one!

10. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Very nice project. Looks like you are not far from driving. Please keep us updated.

11. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Nice work!!!

12. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thats a pretty cool idea and I really like the original color scheme and stickers. I'm sure some old fart (like me) will say, "Why did you put an oil bath filter on a new carburetor?" Subscribed.

13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

No doubt that will happen.

14. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

neat ideas on the paint scheme of the 302.

i also like what you've done with the air cleaner. i might try that myself, converting it to paper.

15. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

love the way that 302 is looking!! great work!!

16. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Nice build! I've been looking at a 52 coupe that's for sale, and this is getting me more interested. When you said the 302 just bolted in with mustang motor mounts, what do you mean? Pics of the mounts would be nice as well.
    Thanks,

Ralph

17. Ralph....you may also want to contact HAMBer JeffB2.

He knows a TON about this swap and can probably give you some good specifics on how it translates to a 52

18. LostHope

LostHope

Looking great!! i attempted to take a 54 steering box apart once but gave up...lol... i also thought about making a oilbath in to a paper element airfilter didnt like the idea of oil sloshing around in there but never got past taking it off the shelf in the garage and doing it...it looks like you beat me to it...looks like your making some great progress keep up the good work.

19. Your high school car!.... That's cool.
    You do nice work. Are you still hammering away?

20. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

21. ...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  22. sololobo

sololobo

Really a great build. The y-block looks fab. Thanx for sharing a sweet project. ~sololobo~

23. Thanks sololobo!

But...there's no y-block here. :D

24. Your camoflauge job is working!

25. sweet

26. ...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  27. That's some ingenuity right there BUT please reconsider the split pipe jackstand, they aren't very safe. I have a pair of split pipe style from the old days but since then welded them to a brake drum for stability and strength. I always throw a tire and rim (or two) under there for jackstand back-up.

Step 7 is the best!

28. Looking good Don,,I can relate to the crazy things we have to do when working alone in the garage.HRP

29. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I love the direction of this build. So often I see things labeled “hot rodding” that are more like thinly disguised laziness. You’ve taken the opposite tact, making only well-thought-out improvements to an old car you already liked; and keeping it largely stock appearing. Very cool.

-Dave

30. RAY With

RAY With

Nice project and be sure to adjust the AOD right when you fire it up . Don't want to burn it up the first few minutes of run time. The 54 was a good car to work with and especially yours since it was a rust free car.