Register now to get rid of these ads!

an extra $30,000...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bryceaugustine, Oct 26, 2011.

1. so i work with this kid who lives at home and has a second job. he has about $30,000 extra sitting in his bank account that is buring a hole in his pocket. he currently drives a busted up 95 mustang. he is planning on buying a new jeep wrangler. he asked me what i would i do. i told him i would buy a used reliable vehicle that gets good gas millage. and then build a hot rod. he is entertaining the idea. we shall see what he will do.

but the question i have. what really cool project would you get or finish with an extra 30K?

id start by finishing the ones that i already have. then i find doner vehicles for some of the other things bouncing in my head. for instance a willys wagon with a modern day drivetrain, or a big 50s or early 60s cady. there is one more... something i dont ever think was built. sorry i gotta keep it under wraps for now.

so what would you do?

2. If he hasn't already attended college, he should first secure an education. If he already attended college, he should buy a house before prices and interest rates rise. Secure a future fist.......hot rods are a hobby.

3. college done. house...he not interested right now. i tried.

4. Wow. An "extra" $30,000 huh? And he's young?

A car would be the last thing I would push him to spend it on. Invest now and buy all the cars you want when you get older. That's a heck of an advantage in this day and age.

5. Gerrys

Gerrys

Find a House with a outbuilding and put a down payment on it.

6. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

What would "I" do with a spare $30K? get outa' debt, and go back to Tahiti

7. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

Damm...I wish I had a extra $20 bucks ! Good for him ! thats what I say.

8. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Reminds me of the old saw, "A fool and his money are soon parted".

9. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

10. M.Edell

M.Edell

personally, Id use it to flip a bunch of cars and make that $30K into $100K.Its worked for me..

11. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

He should stash it and buy a $5,000 50's car, get into the world, learn some shit, then go build his dream car. His tastes will have evolved to what he really wants and not what he thinks is cool now, which will sure as shit change.

12. derbydad276

derbydad276

THIS!!!!!!!

please dont let him blow 30 k on a P.O.S. jeep cherokee

new cars are the worst thing to spend money on
    I learned my lesson 23 years ago since then all I buy is newer used
    and save 40% off the sticker price

13. Moe

Moe

Amen Brother !!!!! Preach It !!!

14. BISHOP

BISHOP

Couldnt have said it better.

15. What fun is that!? ;)

You mean partyING?

IMO, there is no such thing as "extra" money. Plan as far ahead as you want, but the bottom line is what you've done along the way...

16. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

I have a nice 55 Chevy I will sell him. Good investment.

17. BISHOP

BISHOP

I have had some crazy times, unbelievable stories in my life........ with no money.

18. Red Dragon Racing

Red Dragon Racing
    from Indiana

If he's into buying a Jeep, tell him to get one that has a little experince on it. I drive an '88 Wrangler everyday and it has an old AMC 258 with 185k miles on it. Wouldn't trade it any newer fancy car. I didn't pay much for it and save my money for car and motorcycle projects. Why spend everything on one new daily driver when you can have a little of everything?

19. i agree with dreddybear. and some of you others. i treid on the house thing. he dont wanna do that now. he has other money in savings and investments. hes gona sped this money on a vehicle. maybe not all of it but a good chunck.

lets ignoring the smart of responcible thing to do. what do we want to do.

20. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Place it in a money market account. Act like it is not there and start another saving account for a hot rod or car of his choice.

21. slammed

slammed

College was already mentioned/done that. He is going to buy a decent milage car. Not 30 g's on a jeep. Tech school at night to learn a trade would be ideal. Investing money today is suicide. The chain of events in Europe are already here.

22. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

going to school doesn't do much for you any more. I have 4 people that are on the team I manage that have a BS or Masters degree. They work the same job as the 20 something kid that is still in school. I have a few friends that never went to school but make well over 100K a year because they can code and do IT work.
    As far as a house... People keep saying "now is a great time to buy" They said that two years ago and the houses on my block went down another 20K.

23. Not arguing THAT point at all. When we're lying down...and NOT getting up again, the only thing that matters is our memories. What good is a ton of money in the bank if you haven't lived?

Note: This is a particular sore subject with me; as one of my best friends from college has chosen this life path...won't even go out to eat. He's pushing 50 and what has all the scrimping got him? NOTHING. He has no kids to leave it to and has pretty much alienated everyone he knows by being a total miser... Hate to see it.

Rant over...

24. MISFIT 1

MISFIT 1
    BANNED

I used to have an extra 30,00 until I bought my car, Now there is no such thing as extra money.

25. spot

spot
    from usa

have him give it to me. I need more shop space!

26. dang....with an extra 30k I'd probably put an injected 409 in my '55 instead of a sbc. I'd probably also finish a few of my gas pump projects....and still have cash to spare!

27. badshifter

badshifter

Buy long term food, ammo, gold, a beater car and a hooker.

28. Go for the house with a big garage in the back behind a gate where the neighbors can't see what he is working on. Interest rates are low and housing prices are low. Lock in a 30 year fixed rate loan. At the rate the government is printing money inflation is just around the corner.

Charlie Stephens

29. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

An extra 30,000 Id build my shop or buy 30 $1000 hamb friendly cars!

30. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

He must be part of the 1% those idiots on Wall Street are protesting!!! Live once, buy whatever hot rod gets you laid! O, I forgot...none of em do...hahahaha