Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spring in front of axle front suspension?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dsiddons, Oct 25, 2011.

1. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Seems to be alot of 37'ish front axle assemblies out there to be had. (ive seen three recently) I was wondering if anyone setup their Hot Rod with one of these type of front axles?

2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

The Khougaz Roadster is spring-in-front. And I hold that to be one of the baddest cars around..

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Many old hotrods were built with 35-48 spring in front suspensions. A few are being built this way today. Nothing is new except that Ford suspension in 1935... then it was old.

4. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Don Ferrara's roadster is one of my all time favorite. I'll have to search the Khougaz roadster.

5. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

[​IMG]
    I love this one!!

6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

100%!! Khougaz was is and will always be one of the coolest....and I normally hate channelled Deuce roadsters.

7. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I like this idea. But I need that crossmember free for the radiator and grill shell. Is that a 40 or 41' axle?

8. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

9. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

So what's the best year axle assembly to use?

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Anything from 37-48 will pretty much be similar. One thing to remember though is that doing this shortens the WB by about 6 inches unless you move the perch out further.

Don

11. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Here's a good shot of the front of the Khougaz car..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

This bitchin coupe has it too..

[​IMG]

13. chopper cliff

chopper cliff
    from lodi ca

some turn them around and use them as spring hangers in the rear, after you whack off the wishbone and shape it a little it actually look's good, Ivo did it and I have seen it on several cars, mostly buckets

14. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I made my own shackles and used the modal A spring back in the late 50's,but ya.
    she was power by 292Y-block ford,I was working on motor at photo time.
    yes it is a bobtailed 28 roadster

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
    dsiddons likes this.
  15. I think one of the things that we miss in our modern build mind set is that with the pring in front of the axle you can adjust the ride height slightly by lengthing the shackles like on a boat fender foad with the spring behind the rear axle.

I also like the look if the axle being slid back a bit because of the set up it makes the grill shell look like you moved it forward. Changes the whole profile without really changing anything but the suspension.

Scotto,
    Love the bucket BTW. it could use a little paint by my way of thinking but if you give it a good hard look it has a lot going on besides the front suspension. Friend of yours or just a pic you snagged at a show?

16. Harms Way

Harms Way

17. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

X2 ... and I normally hate grille shells relocated forwards.

18. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

I think they look fine as long as you're putting them under a '35-'48 ford...:rolleyes:

19. richie rebel

richie rebel

the spring in front is call a suicide front end,not that theirs any thing wrong with it......

20. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

That's when the spring is hanging out there all by itself with a mount that, if it breaks, has nothing to stop the car from plowing. These are all examples of factory ford type spring-behind setups..

21. No it is not. A suicide front end is one w/o frame horns to catch things if the spring breaks, spring in front CAN be but isn't ALWAYS suicide. :rolleyes:

22. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I don't think the grille shell is pushed forward, that's an illusion due to the decreased wheelbase of the spring behind setup. In person this car has spot on proportions.

23. bgaro

bgaro

mine is setup simular to this, but the spring is mounted under the A crossmember instead of a suicide perch. it frees up room for a shell and the rad sits ontop of the cross member.

24. Im going to have to give this set-up another look.
    I need to move my crossmember forward to gain some blower pulley room. That's increasing my wheel base and I'm not crazy about it.

This will probably will push my grille too far past the tires and then I won't like that. Uughhh

On another note

Id like to see a pic of a spring behind that is not suicide style, and a pic of a spring in front that is suicide style.

25. Crankhole

Crankhole

Let's not forget the Isky T...
    [​IMG]

26. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Well, it does sort of move the radiator visually forward somewhat because if you mount the spring directly under the radiator it has to move the axle centerline back 6 inches. The cars that were shown with the spring in front sure don't look bad though, although most people say to look right the axle centerline should be directly in line with the radiator. Guess that is what makes hot rodding hot rodding, even the rules can sometimes be ignored and the results can be spectacular. :)

Don

27. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

The axle is moved back in relation to the grille shell, which is almost the same as moving the shell forwards and then shortening the frame the same amount. That's what I usually don't like, but this one looks good. I think it's the frame-horn fairing that ties everything together.

28. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

From 1959 too now,this one has always had 1948 front set up,the spring is less leafs an revers eye,but front of axles. Powered by Y-Block Ford Thunderbird
    CrandonPark1.jpg

tfeverfred likes this.