Register now to get rid of these ads!

Head on crash @ 30 mph, I'm still here to tell you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50dodge4x4, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Glad you are ok Gene.

2. Lild

Lild

Damn that sucks! Ive seen your truck in person and seeing those pics makes me sick. Glad youre alright.

3. Man! That stout Detroit Iron truck bent like that! - but, that helped you to walk away from the wreck - just think if you had been in some little Jap car that would crinkled up like a soda pop can.

4. S.F.

S.F.

man, thats a HARD hit at 30mph...amazing you only got stitches

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Like others have stated, certainly glad you're ok. If it was anything smaller then that big 'ol truck you might not have faired so well. Next time I see you I'm going to kick your ass though for not wearing your seatbelt.

On a happier note, I bought this really neat little metal shelf thing at a swap meet. It used to hold automotive oil seals. As soon as I saw it a couple of weeks ago I knew I had to have it to display all the neat little cars I've gotten from your over the years. My current collection of your cars is spread all over the house. This will allow them to be all displayed and admired in one location. I'm going to hang it in the living room. I'll send you a photo as soon as I complete the project.

Mend fast my friend.

6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Glad you're ok, Gene!

I was in a very similar accident when I just started driving in 1995 (16 yrs old) in my '58 Ford. My dad made me put lap belts in the car and I was wearing it. Totaled the car and ended up with a badly broken nose, very bent steering wheel, and a couple days in the hospital.

Malcolm

7. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I wanna see the OTHER CAR!!!

8. robleticia

robleticia

9. MrArt2u

MrArt2u

Man, that blows! As a long time motorcyclist I say, DAMN OTHER DRIVERS!

I'm really glad to hear you're alright and you can rebuild her! I'll keep an eye out for that thread.

I've been driving my '58 daily for about 19 years, I FINALLY switched over to shoulder belts this summer after seeing 3 of our friends (in 3 separate incidents) injured in old car low speed wrecks while the new car drivers didn't even get a scratch! Honestly, I had lap belts but they just made me think of snapped spines, but I still wore 'em. It took some getting used to but I'm glad I have my 3 pointers. I just hope I never have to use them.

Cheers,
    Art.

10. U one lucky dude to come out of that with relatively minor injuries. That Sebring must really be a ball of metal. I had non traditional 3 point belts in my last 32 cause they made me feel safer than I actually was. Got to get my A** in gear and do the same on my new one.

11. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

Ouch!
    Had the same thing happen a few years back.
    Only, my Mazda had automatic shoulder belt restraints,
    It hurt so long, I dont remember it quit hurting.
    The young man that hit me had been out all night and was way above the limit for drink and had also been smoking wacky weed,
    He did not know he hit me and did not get a scratch.
    He was not wearing any belt.

In your case, with the lap belt buckled, your head may still have hit the header.

12. 94hoghead

94hoghead

13. tjmercury

tjmercury

Thank the gods for real steel!

14. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

Glad your ok you never know now of days what people are thinking

if she turned left and hit you left turn is always wrong

if she was on her cell & goes to court
    have the phone records checked for the time of the accident

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  15. Butch11443

Butch11443

Hard Hit!! Glad your okk. Letthe truck sit for a bit. Then decide what to do with it.
    Butch

16. Pharouh

Pharouh

Oh wow! First,glad you're OK. Second,how could she not see you? In a big blue Dodge pickup? She must not have been paying any attention to where she was going.
    If you can't fix that truck,I hope you get another. Good luck!

17. Gene, just heard about this, glad you came out ok. Did they determine who was at fault?,..sounds like she was, she should pay you for damages.

18. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

I don't see any title issues, you are using parts from new parts truck to repair your damaged vehicle you already have title to, correct?

19. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Good to hear everyone's ok sans a few cuts and bruises. As others have stated it's a good thing to have real iron around you..get er fixed and install a couple of three points in the ol 4x4

20. Wow, that truck took a hard hit for sure. Glad you are relatively OK with only the stitches and some soreness. Wait a few days and make sure you take it easy for a bit. The truck can wait and it will give you time to consider the options. Besides you will be busy dealing with the insurance co.

21. hozem396

hozem396
    from ohio

If that much damage was done to your truck, I would hate to see the car! Glad to hear you are OK.

22. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Wow! Glad to hear you are ok. Sorry about the truck. I hope everything works out for you. I almost stopped a few days ago. Coming up the highway I always look to see if you are around. Just usually dont have enough time for a stop. Take care. I would hate to not see an old Dodge truck in your driveway.

23. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I want to thank everyone for their concern.

I cleaned all my personal stuff out of the truck this afternoon. I sat in the seat and tried to figure out what my head hit. I have come to the conclusion my head mad contact with the flip down sun visor (it was flipped down). I see it is bent, the 6" wide visor covers about the top 4" of windshield, other wise, I probably would have hit the windshield. With the belt on, my head would have been almost dead center on the glass instead of at the top of it. It is safety glass, but I suspect the outcome may not have been as good with the belt on and my head hitting just glass. The seat belts are old, they may have stretched a lot under load as well. At any rate. the next ride will have 3 point belts, and I will wear them.

At the time of the crash, the other driver did not have proof of insurance, but she insisted she had insurance. I only have liability insurance on this truck because my ins company would not put an agreed value on something daily driven. I have not heard anything from anyone, I'm getting a little nervous.

I would like to see what the other car looks like, but I don't know which company towed it away. Gene

24. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Gene....It's good to hear that everyone is OK. Too bad about your truck, but it can be replaced.....People can't.

By the way, just saw a early - mid 50's Dodge in a junkyard, (Watkins), up in Wisconsin, today, (Monday). Basically complete, and not too rusty. Not sure of the year, but it has the same cab as yours. It also has the rear corner windows, too.

25. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I just had my 04 truck totaled by a 17 year old who made a uturn across
    3 lanes into mine- the police report showed where her car was towed to.
    Have you gotten a police report yet? Jim

26. plmczy

plmczy

Glad to see your ok, sorry about the truck

27. 4950ford

4950ford
    from cushing,ok

that's a testiment to just how tought this old iron really is, i''m glad your ok and here to tell the story.

28. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

What 4x4 frame did you use for the base of your truck? That looks very cool and I wouldn't mind doing that to an old Dodge myself...

29. Gene---sorry to hear of the accident, glad you're mostly OK.
    You should get a copy of the police report, as mentioned above
    It may tell what insurance co the lady said she has.......and she
    may actually have coverage, just may have not had her currend I D
    cArD with her. Try calling whatever company that's listed.

Sometimes you get a pleasant surprise......(sometimes not).

30. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Glad you're here to tell the story! Really sad to see the before and after pictures of your truck. It was a very nice old truck prior to this.