Register now to get rid of these ads!

Grundy Antique Auto Insurance Changes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Hey, what happened to the sexy mature lady?

2. Bluedeuce

Bluedeuce
    from New Jersey

For many years I have had Grundy as an agent for my three cars and never had a problem.
    I had one claim and the response was quick, and fair.

3. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

I guess I got in just in time.
    I just insured my 29 Sedan in the middle of Sept by itself.
    Maybe when its time to renew I will have to do something else we will wait and see.

4. How do you guys get Grundy at half of Hagerty's price? I got a quote from both when my renewal time came up and Grundy was $67.00 MORE than Hagerty!

5. I've only had one claim on my Hagerty policy on one of my musclecars about 2 years ago and was actually quite amazed at how polite and easy to work with that they were, and how quickly I got my check in the mail. The adjuster even found me the place to order a replacement tire for an older BFG T/A Radial so that it would look the same as the other three. And no, I'm not a Hagerty employee or anything like that; just a satisfied customer.

But I WILL add that while the young lady that I spoke with at Hagerty was extremely nice and very professional, and my claim was handled quickly and fairly.... Becky at Grundy is darn pretty. Should that have anything to do with my insurance shopping??? :)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  6. Thanks very much for getting back to us, Becky. Glad you are still employed there as you have always been quite helpful in the past. I'm still confused though. I just got my renewal notice (this past Sat.) and although the offer is there for the MVP, nowhere do I see that I can't continue with my standalone collector car coverage. Is this because of a "grandfather" clause? Am I to assume that going forward you won't be able to write NEW policies for standalone collector car coverage? Will the time come when I will be required to put my daily drivers on the policy just to be able to get collector car coverage? Thanks, Becky. Your input is much appreciated........Don.

7. I spoke to a rep at Grundy, and the coverages, costs, etc. are to remain the same. Philadelphia Indemnity is the administrator of the policies now.

After waiting on hold for 20 minutes and getting cut off before talking to a real person (twice), trying (& failing) to use the "contact us" feature after creating an account online, and waiting on hold for another 20 minutes for a 3rd time...
    I finally got a very courteous & helpful service rep. Oh, all I needed was a ID card copy.

The best insurance is that which you never have to use. Having said that, Grundy customer service availability was always immediate.

I believe Hagerty might be cheaper for stock, non "hot rod" type vehicles. Grundy was just over 1/2 of what Hagerty's quote was for my '60 F-100.

Having said that, I'll be shopping again at renewal time next year if this is indicative of the service I shoudl expect.

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Very strange. You're the first person I've come across that has stated that. In any event Hagerty is also an awesome company to have for your agreed value policy. The only reason I switched from Hagerty to Grundy so many years ago was the price difference and at the time Grundy was almost 1/2 of Hagerty. I do believe the spread has narrowed but for Grundy to be quoted as MORE then Hagerty with everything being equal between the two quotes is baffling.

9. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I switched from Hagerty to Grundy a few years back after talking with Denise they were much cheaper than Hagerty. Im sure there are variablies that figure into the pricing. All 3 of mine are modified cars.

10. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

My 29 Sedan is modified and it only cost me $195 for 30 Grand worth of coverage.
    Don't remember what Hagerty was but it was higher.
    They ask alot of questions about how it will be used and stored not sure if those answers affect the cost or just keep from you from getting coverage if they don't like your answers.
    Took awhile to get my insurance card but after I called them it came right away.
    I hope I got in on a grandfather clause since I only have one collector car and don't plan on getting coverage for anything else through them.

11. mj40's

mj40's

I noticed the changes in my 3 policies and contacted my local agent and here is what he found after reading all these posts;

The real story is that Philadelphia Indemnity Co. was and still is the
    Underwriting Company for the Grundy Worldwide Collector Vehicle
    Insurance Program, except for a couple of states including Mass.
    Grundy Worldwide is a division of Philadelphia Insurance Companies.
    James A. Grundy entered into a Partnership 5 years ago with
    Philadelphia Insurance Companies to service the New and Renewal
    Collector Vehicle Insurance Policies written through their office and
    staffed his office to service this business. The Partnership between
    James A. Grundy and Philadelphia Insurance Co. was terminated
    effective October 20th, 2011. All New Business, Endorsements and
    Renewals are now being handled by Philadelphia Insurance Co. All of
    the Collector Vehicle Insurance Files that Grundy previously serviced
    were turned over to Philadelphia Insurance Co. last Thursday.

The reason for the change I believe was to improve the level of
    service which had not been acceptable prior to this change. Most of
    service delays occurred as Grundy had to get the approval from
    Philadelphia Insurance Co. to process the new business and
    endorsements requests prior to issuance.

Grundy was what we refer to as an "Intermediary or an Managing General
    Agent" who can accept Collector Vehicle Insurance business direct or
    through retail agents on behalf of Philadelphia Insurance Co.

We should see an improvement in the level of service in the future.
    Grundy Worldwide will now offer a Direct Bill Policy, accept Credit
    Card Payments, Renewal Offer Notices will now come direct from
    Philadelphia Insurance Co. Once the payment is received Philadelphia
    Insurance Co. will issue the Renewal Policy and Auto ID Card(s). They
    now offer extended hours allowing us or the policyholder to contact
    Philadelphia Insurance Co. from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM regardless of the
    time zone where you are located. Philadelphia Insurance Co. has
    offices throughout the country including Boise, Idaho and they offer
    24 hour Claims Reporting. As far as pricing, there should be very
    little change.

I'm personally excited about the change, although I will miss the
    relationships that I've build over the last three years with the James
    A. Grundy Staff. I also feel bad for all of the employees who lost
    their jobs as a result of Philadelphia Insurance Company taking the
    servicing of the Collector Vehicle Insurance Book of Business in
    house. I wish them well as they search for new employment.

I need to send a brief letter to my clients explaining the change to
    avoid any confusion and relieve any concerns that they may have. I've
    already done this for my November Renewals. Thanks, Joe

12. scottlep

scottlep

I have had Grundy for a few years. My cards have always said Philadelphia Indemnity and I think I have always made the checks out to Philadelphia Indemnity even though the invoices have come from Grundy. I just got a Grundy envelope over the weekend but haven't opened it yet. I guess I will see what they say.

13. Thanks for that info, but I'm still confused as to whether or not I will have to combine my daily drivers with my collector car coverage (the so called MVP) to be able to continue with Grundy (now Phila) in the future???

14. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

My Grundy Renewal just came today- It's due 12/5/11
    As before- name on policy is Philadelphia.
    No mention of combining any other vehicles. Just amount of coverage & what's due (same as last year).

15. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I thought the same thing, however, I phoned Grundy (On hold for eternity) and found out that they only do collector vehicles. I could not get my daily driver insured by them. Stu

16. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

I have had coverage through Grundy for several years now. I started with one car and now have three insured through them. I have found Grundy to be responsive to my various needs and questions over the years. I have been lucky in that I have never had need to file a claim so I have no hands on experence in this area. I always had the feeling however that there would be no problem with a claim based on my other Grundy experences. I shopped price and though Grundy wasn't the absolute cheapest price quoted to me I felt like they were where the most bang for my buck was to be had. Based on my dealings with Business, Home and Medical Insurance companies over the last three years I am less than optimistic that this change will be smooth or in my favor price wise or coverage wise. Without exception it has been my experence that when the smaller guy is replaced by the larger group it results in a Cluster Hump of Royal proportions. With that said I have 6 months to renewal time and I am betting that the HAMB will be watching, compareing and shareing to a point that we will be able to make a solid informed decision before making our Ins. purchase. I will give this change the benefit of the doubt but ultimately the proof will be in the pudding.

17. beckyatgrundy

beckyatgrundy

No- You can continue your coverage without adding vehicles. If you want to work with OUR office (as opposed to PHLY) - to insure ALL your vehicles, then you can through the MVP program. It's not required by any means.

18. .......Thanks, Becky. You're the best!:)......Don.

19. CruZer

CruZer

Thanks, I think that is the news we've all been waiting to hear.
    I, too have been with Grundy for a long time (since 1994 ) and I am not planning to change now.

20. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

I have Hagerty. Every year at renewal time I check both Grundy and Hagerty as I see where folks on the HAMB claim Grundy being so much cheaper. My experience insuring 6 vehicles, Grundy was always a little bit more- not a lot, but more. Fortunatly, I have only had to use Hagerty for towing, when I lost a transmission once:(, and that was no problem. Tom...

21. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

I switched my coverage 10/14 before I saw this thread. Faxed and mailed in application. Heard nothing, no email as I asked for. Finally, called and was told coverage was bound. Then, yesterday I get a letter saying they cant write policies in Illinois unless you do the MVP program. Doesnt say coverage was bound, or when the binder would expire. They accepted the app and my money, then say they cant write in Illinois. This sucks, now I have to scramble to get old policy reinstated.I wouldnt recommend Grundy anymore. What if something happened to my 32 while this was going on? Guess we'd be in court. Beware! Now, lets see how long it takes to get my $400 back.

22. _ogre

_ogre
    from Motown

my hagerty ins expired oct 24, i've been trying to convert to Philadelphia for over 3 weeks. redid the online ins quote last sat, called on monday, called on thurs, philly says they have marked my quote ''urgent''. i guess i'll call again tommorrow. their urgent isn't quite the same as my urgent, especially when my driving days in MI are limited.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  23. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree. Hagerty was Johnny on the spot when my 356 got totaled. No hassle whatsoever. You're getting bad info.

24. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I haven't had a claim so I really can't say if Grundy is any good in that respect or not, but when I applied they lost my application and check, even though they told me on the phone a few days earlier they had it and I was covered. I got pissed and sent them an email and told them to cancel it and return my check, I was going to go to Haggerty. Right after that the VP of Grundy called me and said they had found it and to please reconsider. He was extremely nice and apologetic so I told him to forget cancelling it and to put it through.

So, I really have no reason to believe I will be unhappy with them if I should ever have to put in a claim. But I have never had a claim in my life and hope that continues. :)

Don

25. I've used Hagerty for over 13 years now. Had a large claim involving four vehicles of five I had insured, because a tornado destroyed damn near everything I had. Had zero problems with them, and they paid MUCH quicker than the insurer that HAD my daily drivers did.

Again, I do not see this huge savings you guys claim with Grundy. When I compare quotes, it is exact in every single way with my current Hagerty policy. Maybe Oklahoma is too risky for Grundy, who knows?

26. rat deuce

rat deuce

I just tried to get insurance for a resored vintage dragster. Called Grundy first but they said they couldn't help me. Called Hagerty and they did a $30K policy for $253. Sent them pics and description one day before shipping car cross-country. An agent called me back and told me the rate was reduced to $149 because I wasn't running it. Then he said "you're going to have a Killer time in Bakersfield" (I never said where I was going) felt good to know I was dealing with a car guy...

27. Mad Mouse

Mad Mouse

After renewing my Grundy Ins for two cars, and a few mix ups with paying twice, everything is now fine, and my insurance rate for the two cars actually went down. All is well By the way, its now comkpletely in the name of Philadelphia Ins.

28. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I called Grundy about three weeks ago and like what has been said, they want either three or four cars; which some can be daily drivers. The quote that I got from them was better coverage than what I have with Farmers, for all of my cars.

29. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

I just got my 400 refund, like 60 days and two phone calls later.Poor service IMO.