Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rust prohibitor besides POR15?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ArtofHotRod, Oct 23, 2011.

1. ArtofHotRod

ArtofHotRod

What is good to cover Rust besides POR15 that can be brushed on ???
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

2. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

I've tried Rust Bullet.

3. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

good old Rustoleum thinned with Acetone.

4. ArtofHotRod

ArtofHotRod

What about PPG Flexed "N" Flat Clear<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

5. I've given this one a shot also, good price and easy to use.

6. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

7. Valspar industral vinc-rich primer used to be absolutely wonderful. Then, it became impossible to find at a reasonable price. Now I just use rustoleum.

In my opinion, POR15 is overrated, considering the price and trying it years ago.

8. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Rustoleum is the old way but surely there is a better product out. Rust Bullet seems to be the answer, but I'd like to hear more feedback on it.

9. Weasel

Weasel

Rust Destroyer - paint on or rattle can - got mine at Home Depot and works great....

[​IMG]

10. delaware1930

delaware1930
    from Delaware

What are you tring to do paint it or just keep it from rusting while you are working on it?

11. DRD57

DRD57

I've used Rust Bullet with great success.

Check out their website for the salt water spray test results. Pretty impressive.

12. Adam.Perrault

Adam.Perrault
    from Phoenix AZ

Rust Guard from Wurth... Stuff works great. Have it on the frame of my hot rod, went on over surface rust and has held up great for 3 years.

13. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

just bought $200 of POR15 product for my frame/engine and feel it is overpriced but people swear by it, i also bought their ford red engine enamel and am very happy with it

14. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

Where do you find Rust Bullet at? I've used some of Rustoleum rust inhibator on my tailgate with success also. Not really cheap though.

15. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

K.B. coatings -or K.B.S. coatings or something like that. Word has it that this K.B.guy was the guy that invented POR-15. He sold out and now is on his own. Google it and I've heard that it is as good -or- better than POR 15 and less expensive.

Don't get this shit on your skin, it takes days and days to wear off.

VR&C.

16. one37tudor

one37tudor

I use both rust bullet and POR-15. I like to use the thicker rust bullet to paint flat areas or other areas where it is easy to get good coverage. The rust bullet is not as bad to your system if you breath any of the fumes.

I use the POR-15 in areas where you can not get to very well with a brush. It is very thin and it will just run down into seams providing some protection where it would otherwise not be possible to get to.

Scott...

17. ArtofHotRod

ArtofHotRod

Looking for something in a Clear color to cover surface rust

18. woodypecker

woodypecker

I have had very good luck with chassis saver but I think it is very similar to POr-15. It does not come in clear. I have used gloss black and silver.

19. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Go to a ppg dealer ask them about a phosphate coating and then a metal conditioner ,

20. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

An elderly lady stopped me as I was climbing out of my '41 at the grocery store. she wanted to chat old cars, and wouldn't let up. (ever have one of those?) when she saw my rust spots, she told me to go to the NAPA store and pick up some "Extends". She swears by it, and has for years.

21. Mattilac

Mattilac

I like KBS coatings too.

22. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Just bought some of this but haven't used it yet. I have also heard great things about the MasterSeries stuff.

23. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

I was thinking the same question about a good product that will help stop rust. I actually want to do the inside of my rear quarters on my 55. It is a huge area that I think needs some attention. I was wondering if anyone has run POR or any other rust inhibator products through a shwarts gun?
    Thanks
    J

24. Loppy

Loppy

From reading this thread, I'm guessing you want to keep the rusty, old, weathered, patina'd look? Any decent cost effective clear, with or without a flattening agent, will get you where you want to be...for a little while anyway until the rust progresses. And it will.

Eventually you'll have to address the issue by painting it niiiiice, fauxtina, drive as-is, or sell it.

POR-15 comes in clear! Just to be informative, POR-15 made by POR-15, Inc./Resto Motive Laboratories Inc. POR-15 is a sealer. It's NOT UV stable, so exposure to the sun will cause it to degrade and loose it's effectiveness. It has to be top coated to make it UV stable. You have to use one of their specially formulated top coats, or use their Tie-Coat Primer as an adhesion promoter for use with other brand top coats (extra work). It's all on their web site, www.por15.com.

Rust Guard is literally POR-15 with the Wurth label on the can. Really! More expensive too! I've proof. I saved a label in a build file from an old project of mine. They just cut/paste the text given to them from POR-15, and left in the POR-15 name, opps! Very deceptive if you ask me. Still a good product though.

In my opinion, this isn't the right product for your project. Yes it will "seal", is UV stable, and in-part prevent air (oxygen) from progressing the existing rust, but it will win. Flexed "N" Flat IS convenient because it's pre-mixed, but you really don't need the "Flex" agent in it. I'm assuming you want the "Flat" look right?

A phosphate (Ospho or similar) product will cause the rust to turn into a chalky grey or grey/white powder. It's the chemical result of the phosphoric acid converting the rust to iron phosphate. Leaving it will cause adhesion problems. Using an additive method with "metal conditioners" will affect adhesion, also.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  25. afaulk

afaulk

Best product i've ever used is called Extend used to buy it out on the left coast but cant find it here in the south. Clean rust down to solid material apply Extend and then a good epoxy sealer, fill, prime, paint

26. Deadbird

Deadbird

27. Loppy

Loppy

28. yoyodyne

yoyodyne