Register now to get rid of these ads!

My First Pinstriping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JReece, Oct 20, 2011.

1. JReece

JReece

What do y'all think?

ImageUploadedByTJJ1319158564.581246.jpg

The guitar is Hot Pink, with One Shot Blue and Silver.

Thanks, JReece

My clothing line HiRevZ Clothing Co.
    http://www.facebook.com/hirevz

2. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Looks COOOL!! Good job!

3. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

4. sobpunx

sobpunx

That is much better than my first time, keep it up!

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'm feeling it!

6. A-, good and bad idea around the cord socket....cut it off....
    But pinstriping is art....as YOU see it....keep it up and practice, etc

7. JReece

JReece

8. JReece

JReece

I'm thinking about painting "Grease's Hot Rod Striping - for cheap unprofessional pinstriping" On the doors of my wagon! ;)

Thanks, JReece

9. Out of respect to the guys who try to do this for a living,don't put that on your door! Get some practice and enjoy striping for a while before you start advertising , when you can run a nice clean line down the length of a car ,then you're a striper! Good first effort though.

10. JReece

JReece

:) Thanks! Yea, I was talking just for fun, not really advertisement. Just a old school door logo for my patina paint job. I'll probably never consider myself a real striper.

Thanks, JReece

11. 53inSD

53inSD

Great Job. Think I may have to try it out for myself. Been thinking about it for a while.
    Thanks for the inspiration!!

12. cederholm

cederholm

13. JReece

JReece

Just try it. I used One Shot paint and Mack Brushes. Get a couple colors and a brush and get at it. I had a lot of fun just doing this, I plan on doing more.

And remember it's ART, doesn't have to look good, and somebody will still like it. Kinda like " Folk Art!" JK ;)

Thanks, JReece

14. And remember it's ART, doesn't have to look good, and somebody will still like it. Kinda like " Folk Art!" JK ;)

And remember..No matter how GOOD it is,,somebody ain't gonna like it.:rolleyes:

15. JReece

JReece

Exactly, thanks man! I like it!

Thanks, JReece

Most of all build what you want, do what you want, it's your car. My uncle has always said, "If you like it, I love it." Meaning doesn't matter if he likes it or not, because it isn't his car.

16. Looks nice and you got a future as long as you don't get too far ahead of yourself on the idea of "cheap". Get comfortably good before telling others you can stripe their rides then you can charge a reasonable fee.

Like most new artists/businesses who do this; don't sell yourelf cheap. That's why you want to get good at it. Pinstripers are sold by reputation and referrals but you have to be good first and that takes time. As for prices, it is harder to increase your fee than to lower it.

I charged cheap prices when I first started in the 70's, you know, like free and 10 bucks pop. It took years before I could raise them, even though I was good as anyone else, but only after a few years of desparation.

People will hate you if you charge cheap now and go up later, trust me on this one. For some reason. most people think that just because you are an "arteest", you have no tangible assets, you should give your God given talent away cheap. Never could get a hold on that way of thinking.

Here's a trick used a few times that worked very well on the naysayers; I just hand them the brush and say, "here ya go, if its so easy you do it and I'll pay you what you are worth". After a while I was able to rise prices once I built that trust and respect.

Of course it was easy to get by with "junk stripes" back in the 1970's. When I started then you could get by with anything as long as it looked like disco.

I get a bit flamed up when it comes to defending our obscure trade. I'm intense as hell, but I do it so well.

17. derbydad276

derbydad276

keep it up
    build a following do a few freebies

18. JReece

JReece

Thanks Mikey, appreciate the tips. I do plan on pinstriping more and practicing, but I don't really plan on being successful in it. Just really for fun. Just doing my own cars and maybe some of my buddy's. But then again, if you give it away free and somebody tells them "That's awful, how much did you pay for that?" and they say "Nothing." then it's not to bad, you get what you pay for. ;)

I'm a graphic artist by trade and I own a sign shop out of my house. When I bought my vinyl plotter, I had people saying they don't know why I bought it and it's a lot of money. But really I just wanted to make my own stickers. It has grown in to some sort of buisness though, I've made 15x what I paid for it. This is kind of the same way, now I have been talking about striping my own car and had people tell me they didn't think I could do it and they would just pay somebody.

Which just makes me want to do it more. Especially having all of you all on here as a support team.

Thanks Guys!

Thanks, JReece

Most of all build what you want, do what you want, it's your car. My uncle has always said, "If you like it, I love it." Meaning doesn't matter if he likes it or not, because it isn't his car.

19. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Looks good! Keep practicing! Post more work!

20. Adrian Rollini

Adrian Rollini

Looks good man! When I started it took me 6 months to draw out anything worth looking at. My hands shake bad due to being shot in Iraq. I can't pinstripe anymore, but I enjoy the new designs and ideas people create.

21. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

First time ??? REALLY ?? Coulda fooled me !!!

22. S.F.

S.F.

stop right there....in order to be a good pinstriper it has to consume your entire brain. If your not completely and totally obsessed with it when you first start striping, then ya wont get better at it.

23. TOMMAY

TOMMAY
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from MOBILE,AL

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone.

Really,I like it a lot,keep after it.

24. JReece

JReece

Yea first time. Thanks man.

Thanks, JReece

25. JReece

JReece

Your right man, I plan on being obsessed, just not out to try make a living. ;)

Thanks, JReece

26. ThompsonSpeed

ThompsonSpeed

You do good work! Looks great!

27. Pothole 31A

Pothole 31A

28. Willy301

Willy301

In any venture that is different or away from the norm, you will always have nay sayers, they are the talkers, and you, obviously are a doer.

29. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

I'd like to post some pictures of my striping over the years, but haven't figured out how to post any yet....it's bad to be computer stupid......to the upcoming striper, someone once said listen to what people say and it will tell you if your good or not....if they say.."He does Pinstriping", you probably haven't made it yet, but when you here people say.."He's a Pinstriper", you've probably made it........I've been at it since 1971 and still learn something evertime I pick up the Ol Mack.

"Some do Pinstriping......Some are Pinstripers"...............Hang in there

30. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

Truer words were never spoken!!!