Register now to get rid of these ads!

junk vehicle law????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56droppedhardtop, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 56droppedhardtop

56droppedhardtop

we dont have parties, we are all smart enough not to do burnouts in front of our house, no loud music... the occasional jackass will drive by and rev his motor up, but thats about it.... we are ussually in the garage working on stuff, or working..... its not a frat house.

2. hatch

hatch
    from house

Toga! Toga! Toga! Toga!

3. Silverado

Silverado

Here you go. Some commas ,,,,,,,, some periods ...........

Tiki, it was hard to read, but I got through it. That sucks big time. Our great-great-grandfathers wouldn't have put up with this kind of shit.

The time is coming, this country is going to have a "Come to Jesus" meeting, and it isn't going to be pretty.

I can understand not wanting non-functioning, non-licensed, non-titled vehicles on your street taking up parking spaces, but to take cars off of someone's property in the middle of the country just because someone new moved in next door...BULLSHIT.

4. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

This is funny that I stumbled across this thread today. My wife and I were just talking about covenants and restrictions on all these new housing developments going in around here, (Dayton, OH). I told her there's no way I'd move into one of those, they couldn't give one of those houses to me. She asked why. I told her that the way the c&r's are written now, I couldn't drive home my hot rod, let alone build one there.

This past Thursday I pulled my '48 Chevy sedan delivery out of the garage and put it in the driveway next to our house. I have a two car garage but need the room to work on my '34 Ford for the summer. The delivery is a stripped down body shell on a rolling chassis, i.e. no drive train or interior or title as far as that goes. Inside it is a set of doors from another '48 4 door sedan and the roof from that donor car is actually on top of the delivery. All of it is completely covered with one of those obnoxious blue tarps. The 'rule' here in our plat is that any car on your property must be tagged and/or not missing any major components. I know this cuz I was smart enough to call. I know I'm against the wall on this and will put it back in the garage if I must. However, there's a guy down the street, 5 houses, who has a mid 70's MG out next to his house that's been sitting there so long that the canvas tarp that was covering it has almost completely deteriorated away to just the rusty grommets. It also helps that I live in a heavy redneck inundated plat. Anytime I’m in the garage for more than an hour or so, I have some hayseed stopping by wanting to hear some stories. I’ll take that as a plus for me.

I’m going into the summer know that there could be trouble and ready to remedy it on that day. I have a woman across the street that no one on the street likes and they all call the ‘psycho-bitch’, funny thing is, she talks to me and no one else. I think that’s a good thing. I don’t think I’ll wait seven months to deal with it when the other shoe drops. I guess that’s the smart way to do it.

Vance

5. GR-RRR

GR-RRR
    from Cent. Neb.

In our town a car can't be on the street in the same spot for 24 hrs even if it runs & is registered. This is rarely enforced, but once after coming back from the lake I parked our boat on the street and didn't have time to get it to the storage shed for a couple of days. Our neighbor calls the cops and I get a ticket. This was the only time we ever had anything in the street, cars were always in the garage or drive way. But the old man across the street was a truck driver and when he came home for a couple of days his tractor would set in the street for the whole time. Also their kids would always stop by and park everywhere. Luckily when I got the ticket it was the last week that we lived there as we were in the process of moving so I didn't let it bother me to much, just paying the fine sucked.

6. riverrat

riverrat

dirty deeds done dirt cheap

7. In the late 70's when I lived in a subdivision, I recivied a nasty letter from the lawer on behalf of the subdivision threating me with legal action and such on my 63 chevy 1/2k swb truck for being parked in my driveway.

I was really hot and called up the lady lawer and asked what the problem was. I think the block warden must have called it in or something as a junker. I proceded to tell here it was licensed, inspected, insured and was a driveable auto. It sat a lot because my wife and I car pooled-rode together to work. Well she didn't have a lot to say. I told her they would have been better going after the guy down the block that took over a year to rebuild his Mack gravel truck. All she could do was spit and sputer. If I wouldn't have been so mad it would have been funny.

I sold that house later that year and have never lived in a subdivision or incorporated area since... Never again, at least untill they drag my crippled old ass off to the rest home...:rolleyes:
    Richard.

8. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

I learned long ago a bird in hand is better than two in the bush as i had a bucnh of 'projects'stashed all over town and a few at my house and i stripped and sold most as you havta realize sometime that you can't save or restore em all.

9. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"DING DING DING!, Get a garage!"

Well.... NO SHIT. There a good idea.....
    Why didnt we think of that Rich????

Its really easy... And hell... as it is we only have to pay our rent, car insurance, gas, other misc. bills, eat, and then have money left over to Actually Build these Damn things....

I dont see why we didnt do that before? God we are stupid, Rich!

And for the record, the Damn Lincoln belonged to our roomate, and it was his only project, its not that me and Rich have all THAT much stuff around...

-J. Punk Kid Frat House....

10. Well hopefully you know where the Lincoln went and if laws are the same there as here, you will have an opportunity to buy it back at their lein sale auction.
    If its a big project you might buy it at a good price. If it looks good, you might spend more than its worth to get it back.
    In Ca, all impounds must go through this process. And they must be put up for public auction. An old car like that would fetch at least 300 here because of scrap prices, and might go higher if its a better car.
    At least you might get a chance at getting it back.
    Good luck.

11. Muttley

Muttley

Um....free would be a good price, why should he have to buy it, he allready owns it. This whole thing is just plain wrong, they basically have a licensce to steal.

12. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

I've never heard of ANY community that would allow you to keep inoperable or unlicensed cars parked on the street. The way I see it, you were very lucky to get by for as long as you did. Rather than bitch about what a bad idea that is, how 'bout a solution so this doesn't happen again?

Any place I've ever lived has had several storage lots where you could store cars, boats, campers and such for a few bucks a month. Here in Niles, Maaco has a fenced lot behind the shop and rents parking spaces for $15 a month. I have one of my cars stored there. I have 3 more plus a bunch of parts stored in a 30x30' concrete floored building that costs me $50 a month. The units are behind a plumbing supply store and I only have access when the business is open.Yeah, I know that's the deal of the century....I'm willing it to my daughter :D but by searching around I'll bet that most anyone could find similar deals.

As to the Yard Po'lice, confiscating cars or ticketing one for keeping unlicensed vehicles from one's OWN property, that's an entirely different deal...:mad: :mad:

Jan

13. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

The State of Washington (Ballard is still in Washington isn't it?) has recognized building cars as a 'most important' 'constructive leisure pursuit'. If you need to fight these guys you have some legal basis for keeping your cars.

RCW 46.04.125
    Collector.

"Collector" means the owner of one or more vehicles described in RCW 46.16.305(1) who collects, purchases, acquires, trades, or disposes of the vehicle or parts of it, for his or her personal use, in order to preserve, restore, and maintain the vehicle for hobby or historical purposes.

[1996 c 225 § 2.]

NOTES:

Finding -- 1996 c 225: "The legislature finds and declares that constructive leisure pursuits by Washington citizens is most important. This act is intended to encourage responsible participation in the hobby of collecting, preserving, restoring, and maintaining motor vehicles of historic and special interest, which hobby contributes to the enjoyment of the citizens and the preservation of Washington's automotive memorabilia." [1996 c 225 § 1.]

http://www.leg.wa.gov/RCW/index.cfm?section=46.04.125&fuseaction=section

14. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

not to be a dick,,but that is part of the GAME,,i live in a upper-lower class neighborhood ,,i wish i could drag everything home i find and lay it every where i could,,on the street,in the front yard ,all across the back yard,,etc..

..but at the same time,even though its not the BEST neighborhood in the town,i still have RESPECT for my neighbors,,i dont want to look at their bullshit and im sure they dont want to look at mine..

..i was having a problem with the neighbors next door,,the house next door is a rental and we have lived here in our house for almost 5 years,,never had a problem..but all of a sudden these two 20 year old girls moved in and then it was a HIP HOP party every other night,,well,,i like to have a good time just as much as everybody(maybe even more) but fuck,,anyways NOW i can see why the cops used to fuck with me and my buddies so much when we were younger...when you get old and buy your own property and hope its an investment ,then it sucks when people who dont care start fucking it up...maybe the homeowners around you are just looking out for there own intrest and dont give a fuck about your old cars..

15. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Really, renting a garage is the way to go. Hell, rent a werehouse, you could probably find one of those cheap enough. You comented about each one having 2 cars means you could have 10 total, so if you split the rent 5 ways, it wouldn't cost that much per person. Then you guys can have all your stuff in the same place and you wouldn't have to waste your time moving your projects all over. Then you might be able to get them done.

If you guys seem to have the money to buy up all these high desireable cars, you have enough money to provide a safe place to keep them. Quit bitching about being too broke, step it up and join in the real world, the car hobby is expensive. Ya gotta pay if ya wanna play. Gene

16. I'm sure you know, you break the law (no matter how stupid it might be) your car might and in this case did get impounded. The tow yard will have to lein sale the car to get their fees back.
    i have a friend who lent his truck to a buddy. Guy gets pulled over...guess what no license... so truck gets impounded. my friend cant get it out unless his buddy who fled the state shows a valid DL.
    So we have to go to the sale and buy the truck from auction. It'll be close to $500 I'd guess, then hes on the hook for the remainder of the 1200 impound fees.
    The Lincoln owner doesnt own anything if theres no title.
    Even if he had a title and it wasnt tagged, its still going away on the tow truck.
    I'm not siding with the cops or the tow yards at all, but as a car owner, you have certain responsibilities and requirements to adhere to.
    If you dont do it, you can lose your car(s). That goes for me with my yard full of shit, close to 100 cars. The building and safety people could take them all if they wanted to. Not a damn thing I could do, but go to prison after shooting up the tow trucks.
    The quotes from the code book are great, and true, but look down the same page at the requirements. Pretty basic, the main thing is the vehicles being obscured from public view. Keep as little as you can in the front yard, and cover anything in the back.
    You can fight but you will lose. Your cars, your money, possibly your house, and your freedom. Well, thats already partially gone.

17. rockabillyjoe

rockabillyjoe
    from Seattle

I'm sur Rich and the guys would love to rent a garage for all the projects. I know first hand how difficult it is to find space that will let you park a car in it. Let alone work on it. Space in this area is outrageous. Most outside storage parking is from 70.00-100.00 for one car. I know because the 51 they had parked in front of the house was mine until Jimmy bought it. I paid 70.00 per month just to store it outside. Any kind of shop space is almost out of the question. It roughly costs 1.00 per square foot. And it's not like you can just say "I want 500 sq ft. I finally found some space 20 min south of Seattle that I could afford until I build the 50x70 that I have in the works. I have to deal with parking every day. I live 2 blocks from Seattle center. For those who aren't familiar with Seattle, it's hell to find parking. Especially when the assholes going to concerts or basketball games are too cheap to park in the paid parking lots that are there for those reasons. They park in the spaces that are for my building. Then when they leave the events they walk past my cars and fuck with them. So I say find as many cars, motorcycles, scooters, bicycles, whatever. Fill all the fucking parking, tell anyone who says anything to you to "Fuck off!" Then when they find a spot to park. Go to their car and take out your trusty valve stem remover, and remove all of there valve stems from their tires.

18. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, All I was saying is that the Shop/warehouse/storage space issue has come up before, meaning we have tried to find some....

It is definetly the "way to go", only a fool would argue that. The issue is that, while I MAYBE could afford paying rent two different places every month, If I did, my car/ "extra" money would be zilch.... And what fun would that be? I would love to have a place of my (or our) own to do our thing, but its just not doable at the moment... Now, If I didnt have cars to work on... I could probly have a decent shop.... Such is life... I'll survive... My truck will live in the GARAHE soon... Once road worthy I'll drive the sumbitch, and the city wont be able to touch it....

-Love thy Neighbor..... -J.

19. jay

jay

I live in a small rural town that the mayor and councilors decided we needed to adopt big city rules to. Now i would love to have a garage but the funding just isnt there. My cars are in my yard and covered with car covers.

They wanted to implement a zoning code to be able to come into your yard and get all none operating vehicles and haul them off..I have so friends on the police force and one day i was going through their black book of laws..Just like oldsub said there is a law to protect collecters..for New Mexico it was passed in 1975 in short form it says that if you build or restore vintage vehicles as a hobbiest or as a way of life they cannot get your cars or your car parts..it goes on to say that it just has to be hidden from public view..be it a fence, car cover, a hedge etc.

Long story short when approached about my vehicles that were behind a wooden fence and covered i brought out the black book and showed them the law i havent had any problems since..but you have to show them laws that prtoect you..if you dont have the backing they walk over you.

20. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

eeeewww weee, yous boys is dumber than a bag a hammers, why I gots me a big ol whare house in that fairy area, ya'll live in, shoot out at my dirt farm, what in the Tarnation, when we's all done with a car , we jes pusher in the sippy hole, hell sweet mouth ritchie, whyoncha give me a tellyfone call.

21. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

i own a storage business,250 gets you 6 months indoor storage on concrete.i have 6 acres of lawn if you can call it that,i would charge 100,or 150 under a roof(no walls,keeps rain off).
    i can get away with anyting outside as its a registered storage business.

i remember having to move a vehicle off the street in town due to no tags.it should be expected,how long you can get away with it is the question.

22. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

You do realize this thread is 6 YEARS OLD!

23. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

This thread is 6 years old.....

24. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Must be bring a dead thread back day :rolleyes:

25. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

26. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

My thoughts exactly:D

27. chopper cliff

chopper cliff
    from lodi ca

it really SUCKS, but you ask'd for it, get your buddy's to go in for a storage space, or put them in your backyard if you have one, they tried that with me about 30 yrs ago, went to the city and told them front yard I don't have a leg to stand on, back yard is trespassing and there is a law against that, mite shoot the fucker.

28. Squatch

Squatch

Yup had to hurry and cut apart a 63 wagon because of it... In the middle of winter...

That sucked, but i can understand... I wouldn't want a neighbor with a bunch of junk parked around... I even had a nice new tarp covering it...

29. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

If the cars were being ticketed then there is more to the story. Who's the real dickhead here ?? Respect your neighbors and their neighborhood and you wouldn't have these problems. No sympathy here.

30. silent rick

silent rick

the original poster hasn't been on the hamb in over a year. dumbass newbies

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.