Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 Chevy Pickup Pt. 2 "El Trucko"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TaylorCrawford, Sep 12, 2011.

1. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

My old thread was gettin too long, so heres a new one. Sort of a new chapter!

Heres the vision of what I want it to look like when Im done....

[​IMG]

And heres where Im at now...

[​IMG]

Here we go!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  2. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Finally I did some shit! Just did a quick temporary primar job on the front half of the truck. It needed somethin new and I had lots of extra primar...

About halfway done masking...
    [​IMG]

All masked and prepped

[​IMG]

Done!

[​IMG]

Kinda shitty, but who cares its just temporary. Ill finish the roof and behind the cab later this week.

3. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Did this today when I got outta class. Not done yet!

[​IMG]

4. 4msfam

4msfam

Looks great! Are you going to leave the primer, or eventually do color?

5. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Thanks man! The primar is just temporary, I was just bored, had extra spray paint, and thought it was time for something new! Haha.

6. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Sick truck - I also have a '57 I am working on for my Uncle Bob and this gave me some help - Kroil soaking the front spring u-bolt nuts now to pull some leaves.

So did your smoothies end up being zero offset like you mentioned? Where did you buy them?

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  7. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Thats rad! Yes, they are 0 offset. I got em from perfomance plus tire in Long Beach. They are called "hot rod hanks" or something like that.

8. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Thanks for the intel - If you are ever in the Seattle are would love to have you do some ol' skool stripes on Uncle Bob's '57. Great to see young guns in the hobby.

:cool:

9. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

No problem!

10. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

11. dcmalone

dcmalone

I lokoed through both threads and found the tire size you're running. What width wheel did you go with. Truck is looking great, I really need to post some pics of mine.

12. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Ya you do need to post pics! I really wanna see it! Im running a 6"wide wheel.

13. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

This weekend I will hopefully get a crash course in welding sheet metal, and start patching up all the holes in the fire wall, thanks to Scootermcrad!

14. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

I am taking off the U-bolts now on Uncle Bob's '57..... Most def need new U-bolts - the Kroil soak did not help much.

Which 3 springs do I keep - looks like you did not use the 3 longest from your pic below?

How do you get disc brakes on these axles, or is that a newer axle?

[​IMG]

15. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

I dont remeber which springs I pulled, and for the axel, Im not sure Im pretty sure its a stock axel. It came off my buddys '56, and whenw e swapped it out for mine we just sorta pulled the whole thing off and bolted it on, so Im not quite sure how the disk brakes go on. Ill look into it for you...

16. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

17. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

'Cept U still have 6 lug.

Have one side ready to go back together and I am going with the longest 3 leaves - that covers some of the wear the shorter leaves have done to the leaves above thru the years. This was a US Gov truck so she saw some tough use by G-Men. Heck one of the springs assemblies looks different - aftermarket maybe - has 4 collars aligning the leaves - while the other has 2.

18. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Ya true. I know its a stock axel. I dont know where the brakes came from then. It was my buddys before it went on mine...

When I first got mine it actually had leafs added to it to beef it up a little but, it was a farm truck haha. I wanna see pics of it when your done!

19. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Set the truck from Uncle down on 3 leaves - Wow what a difference - but too little spring action left. Put back in the 4th longest spring which also has the alignment collars attached. A little firmer and a little more travel - happy there - give the truck a nice rake. Now she sits and waits for the new U-bolts, also ordered a repro outside windshield visor and repro chrome radio speaker box.......

;)

20. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Rad!

21. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Got my first order of parts today from LMC - Odds and ends included an outside windshield visor and inside speaker box like yours below.

So how does the speaker box cover attach - what is underneath??? Uncle Bob's truck had no speaker box - I bought the repro - but all I got was the chrome cover for my 40 clams...

:confused:

[​IMG]

22. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Mine still had the original in. Its just 4 really long sheet metal screws that tap into the 4 holes where the speaker box should be.

23. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

All the holes in the firewall are welded and patched up, big thanks to ScooterMcRad on here for that! I just got my Dynamat in the mail today. This weekends gonna be fun! Ill have pics later....

24. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

OK- Thanks - Thought that was a possibility, but seemed kinda hokey ass - When in fact it is state of the art circa 1957.

:D

Just got in from installing the outside sunvisor - made in China and kind fits like it - had to do a little hammer and dolly work on the curved mounting surfaces on each end. Looks pretty kool installed though. :cool:

Toughest part was finding the center of the windshield. Was not feeling it from the outside. Removed the inside rearview mirror and used it's center hole and tape on the inside of the windshield to lay out a center line.

Front springs all tight again with new shackles. Placed a $1,000 bling bling order on Brothers today for the chrome bumpers, grille, bumper guards, mirrors, tail lights etc. Great sale - added up to $1,600 before the discount they are running this month.

;)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  25. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Hell ya man, thats sick!You should start your own build thread! :p

26. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Pics ???

27. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Heres a before shot. There was about 9 of those bigger holes, and like a zillion tiny ones.

[​IMG]

Just a few of the patches. We left some of the holes because we couldnt get to em with out taking the battery and fenders off, and we figured it would be good to just leave some and put a rubber plug in em in case I have to run wires through it in the future.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  28. bfink55

bfink55
    from Turlock CA

just about to start welding up the holes in my firewall , mine seems like its got about a million ! i've never really welded but im gonna give it a shot . your trucks looking good !
    Fink

29. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Good luck, and thanks!

30. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW